ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Formerly skiboyjake
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got my hands on some used 17x7 konig tantrums. i'm looking for inexpensive 205/40/17s. i'm on an extreme budget, so i'm not considering anything over 60 bucks a wheel. i know i know, that cuts out all the best ones. i get it. but still, any suggestions, reviews, or complaints about certain tires will be helpful to me!

oh yeah, i'd prefer summer rubber.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
I thought you'd be limited to "high performance" summer tires at that price but you've actually got a few decent tires to choose from. Generally, performance is categorized (from least to most grip) as follows: grand touring summer, high performance, ultra-high performance, max. performance, extreme performance, r-comps, racing slicks. The easiest way to save money on tires is to get a smaller size for smaller diameter wheels. But since you're asking about P205/40R17 @ < $60/tire you should take a hard look at the Sumitomo HTR Z II and General Exclaim UHP. The Sumitomo was just recommended to me today by a fellow autocrosser and the General Exclaim UHP is supposed to be best in class believe it or not. For a little bit more ($63/tire) the Yokohama PARADA Spec-2 have a cool tread pattern.

·
Speed Racer
4,690 Posts
I was running Kumho Ecstas on the Neon in a 205/40/17... I was getting them for ~$52 a tire. They weren't bad I didn't think--not for the money. The way I drive, they were lasting 6,000 miles.

I had some weird tires from NTB. NEVER AGAIN. Wrecked the car in the rain doing the speed limit. Yeah. Don't cheap out too much, lol!

Deleted some content because I can't read. lol.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Price vs. performance- look at Hankook. RS2s are the top of their line and are $94.25 for 215/40 17 @ wheelstores.com Try K104 in 205/40 s
Chris

·
Registered
324 Posts
Zeix 512, uber cheap, good predictable handling for an A/S rubber, rides nice, just plain good!

tire-easy.com has the best prices that I've found, and my buddy got a set, can super quick. My next rubber is coming from this place.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts