ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So before I get laughed out, I'm just exploring various LSD options. I have an NA8 with open diff. I have noticed OBX helical LSDs for sale on eBay for about $280. After doing some searching, these inexpensive Chinese parts really need to be taken apart and cleaned up before installing in the car or they will fail. There is a stack of spring washers which are made of aluminum, which of course immediately crush. Chamfering some of the ugly edges of the housing and replacing the spring washers with steel is supposed to actually make this into a workable LSD.

I did some searches here on CR and came up with a few mentions of the OBX LSD, but no real pix or stories. Anyone bought one of these Chinese potential turds and used it with success?

·
Supporting Mamber
3,672 Posts
My buddy has one in his 94. He loves it, he actually ditched the kaaz for this for financial reasons but said he wouldn't go back.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
^ My Torsen does this aswell. If you lightly apply the e-brake to simulate load on the free wheel it will help.

·
Supporting Member
356 Posts
Ive bought one and installed it in a housing a few months ago. I will hopefully get it in the car this weekend and will update. Quality seemed decent. I did clean it up and replaced the washers and bolts.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
^ doesn't that mean it doesn't work?
Thats how torsen type diffs work. If one wheel has zero traction, aka on ice or in the air all the power goes to it. But otherwise the power goes to the wheel with more grip. This is the super simple version.

I did it to one in a cavalier, ended up selling the diff before it made it into my car. Canadian that has it now seems happy with it. Buy the rebuild kit from the guy that sells them, its actually cheaper than buying the stuff from mcmaster. And make sure the inner edge of the splines is tapered (chamfered) a tad your you wont be able to get the axle stubs back out of it. Some of them come with the chamfer but I've heard of them not.

There's a good write up of it on honda tech.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts