ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
It's definitely one of the more modern Cobra replicas. I'm not sure whether that's a good thing or a bad thing. I like the FF because of their high bang/buck, spec race series, and large knowledge base. I like Kirhams because of the pretty aluminum bodies. I like the transaxle in the CB1 because theoretically it creates a more balanced chassis. There are so many Cobra kits out there to suit a variety of tastes I'm surprised they're still able to make money given all the competition in the marketplace.

·
CR.net Supporter
1,390 Posts
this makes me wonder, why doesn't someone do a modern interpretation of the cobra a la 2007 (2008?) camaro/challenger?

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
this makes me wonder, why doesn't someone do a modern interpretation of the cobra a la 2007 (2008?) camaro/challenger?
Because they don't sell. Shelby Automobiles, Inc. tried it with the aluminum chassis, Oldsmobile Aurora powered Series 1 but it wasn't a commercial success. Several cars remain unsold years after production ceased. Many consider the Dodge Viper a spiritual descendant of the original Cobra. Don't forget the 2004 NAIAS Ford Shelby Cobra concept car or the 2005 NAIAS Ford Shelby GR-1 concept car.

There are dozens of kit manufacturers that make cars that externally look similar or even exactly like an original Cobra with all manner of chassis/suspension/drivetrains underneath. Independent suspension, carbon fiber bodies, square tube frame, round tube frame, etc. I think the legacy of the original Cobra makes it very difficult for anyone to update it and create a modern interpretation that could achieve commercial success.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
I forgot to mention the Galmer Arbitrage GT manufactured by Cobra International Co., Ltd. Although it bears no resemblance to the original Cobra it is an interesting car worth a look.

Kevin Gallahan said:
Also since the press release in March, the question we received the most was surrounding Cobra International Co., Ltd. Immediately I want to make sure there is a clear understanding that there is no affiliation with Carrol Shelby and the COBRA everyone knows. Cobra International Co., Ltd. is a long time registered Thailand Corporation. Cobra International is the largest manufacturer of windsurf boards and surfboards in the world with sponsored riders such as Kelly Slater riding Cobra Surfboards. Cobra International produces in excess of 1500 surfboards a day, but not only do they produce surfboards. The factory is over 800,000 sq ft. and employes over 4000 workers. There is also Cobra Engineering, another Cobra Company that manufactures steel dies for the steel stamped automobile parts for various automobile and truck manufactures in the world. Nobody needs to question what is the capability of Cobra International. We have combined the tremendous resources of Cobra International with the long time experience of Galmer Engineering and Alan Mertens. The resulting product will speak for itself.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts