ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Esteemed Member
3,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As title states, what is everyones opinion on both companies, and who has the better product??

Id like to get top hats for more travel and a lil lower ride

·
Registered
552 Posts
im trying to figure out this same thing, are you going to use it for all 4 corners or just 2(if u have adjustable perches)

it seems pretty hard to bottom out the fronts w/ stiff springs.

·
Esteemed Member
3,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im goin with all four, theres also another company called NOPRO that makes them as well

·
Registered
102 Posts
I just installed the FCM's with a 375/250 GC setup on Koni Sports - it rides better than stock, even at a very low ride height (12" front, 12.5" rear.) Actually, I had it slammed down to about 11.5" all the way around so my 13x8's would look cool, and even though the ride wasn't bad, it was scraping the crap out of my GV lip.

Thumbs up for the FCM kit (mounts, stops, boots) and Koni shocks.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I'd go with normal NB mounts, as the FCM are a modified version anyways.

What do you have now, suspension wise?

·
Esteemed Member
3,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd go with normal NB mounts, as the FCM are a modified version anyways.

What do you have now, suspension wise?
I dunno, check my garage :mrgreen: , running agx's and millen springs. Planning on swapping to high rate springs with top hats. Running that till I blow the agx's and then replacing them with bilsteins

·
Registered
91 Posts
They don't add travel, just make you lower.
well the top mounts let u retain travel at a lowered height.. so thats basically the same thing

actual travel can be gained by using the shorter bumpstops
Right, but only with adjstable height springs. Even then you aren't adding travel, simply shifting the balance of compression and rebound travel.

I have FCM 46mm stops and they made a huge difference, but I can't justify $200+ for 20mm of lowering and "feel". Maybe someday.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Right, but only with adjstable height springs. Even then you aren't adding travel, simply shifting the balance of compression and rebound travel.
i agree with that ^ except that it does have the same effect on fixed height springs. installing the upgraded tops effectively shifts all relevant surfaces of the upper spring perch upward vs stock.

·
Esteemed Veteran Member
972 Posts
You could always make your own. Works best for Koni shocks with a 12mm shaft, but with a helicoil in the nut it can work for any shock.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2343497

I used this when I had Koni Yellow shocks. Worked well. It moved the shock shaft up about 3/4 of an inch, moved the spring up about one inch, dropped a bit of weight and removed the rubber out of the suspension.

·
Registered
552 Posts
nice write up.. question though, do you think it was necessary to use the gc polyurethane upper spring isolator? and how flush did it sit vs the bottom surface of that nb mount? if it has room for the isolator to flex i don't think that would be good..

·
Registered
552 Posts
^lol

i was just looking at the fat cat setup, the 1 piece that is "special" is the 10x.125 or 12x1.25 nut with extended shaft,

i was going to go with FCM or one of the others but now im considering custom.. seems easy enough thanks to modernbeat ^, if i can find a 10x1.25. 12x1.25 is much more common..

·
Registered
552 Posts
any idea where to get the 10x1.25s??

i know my local stores don't carry anything like this, ive tried :cry:

·
Esteemed Veteran Member
972 Posts
any idea where to get the 10x1.25s??

i know my local stores don't carry anything like this, ive tried :cry:
AFAIK, there isn't an easy to find nut like that. You can use an ATV mag wheel lug nut or you can use a helicoil inside the 12x1.25. I've seen the helicoil method used and it worked well. The guy did epoxy the helicoil into the lugnut and then cleaned it up with a tap.

nice write up.. question though, do you think it was necessary to use the gc polyurethane upper spring isolator? and how flush did it sit vs the bottom surface of that nb mount? if it has room for the isolator to flex i don't think that would be good..
You don't have to use the isolator. I was afraid of the spring skewing but in subsequent versions I've left the isolator off. Everything worked just fine.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts