ClubRoadster.net banner

4241 - 4260 of 4299 Posts

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Would it be completely out of line to suggest the Ruger Mk. III or Mk. IV? I remember it's what I learned to shoot on. Reliable, fun to shoot, and has all the basic parts of a pistol if you wanted to explain safety and firearm operation to a total novice.

EDIT: pretty sure that's exactly what you're planning on, anyway.
+1. The Ruger .22s are cheap, parts are easy to find, and you can customize the crap out of them. Rugers .22s are like Miatas, as long as you have the shell of the car (or receiver for the .22), you can buy all aftermarket parts to put it together. A .22 will also be a lot more manageable if you have someone with smaller hands or little arm strength. Ammunition is also significantly cheaper.

Find what is popular in your area for shooting sports (i.e. USPSA, IPSC, etc), and attend a couple of matches as a spectator. Talk with some of the competitors and get a feel for the nuances of the rule books, etc.

Now, for the administrative side:

Is it a collegiate or a high school team?

If it will be high school team, you'll have to get parent waivers since all the shooters will be under 18, plus have to figure out a way to purchase the pistols (dealers can't sell a handgun to an individual under 21).

Either way, do a search for schools (be it college or high school) in your state that have a pistol marksmanship or shooting team, and see if you can get a copy of their by-laws, and possibly speak with someone for advice and experience in getting it set up with your school. You'll also want to contact 4H and/or FFA clubs, as some will have a marksmanship or shooting as well. You'll also be able to get their take on what the various leagues and matches offer.

If you've already gotten all that figured out and looking for practical tips, I'll be more than happy to help you out on that end as well.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
We are pretty knees deep in forming the team. SSSF (Scholastic) has a chooting team that provided insurance coverage too. We are at the liberty to charge folks a $200 fee so we can pool supplies and purchase guns/ammo for the team. Since it is a high school team, the parents need to take the kids to/from practice IF they are bringing their own firearm. Georgia law prohibits those under 21 to hold a pistol.

We were going to do skeet shooting but it just wasn't financially viable, even with a hefty up front fee.

I'll definitely check out the Ruger!

·
It's a medical thing.
565 Posts
Speaking as an Attorney (though not your attorney and my advice is worth what you paid for it): I would advise my clients, who have everything legal, get an incident report with the police.

·
Mufasa in Training
32,350 Posts
Turns out you can. It's got a 1911 grip (apparently a no-no) AND it's one ounce over the weight limit. Ain't that something?
Why's that a no-no?

I admit, I don't really know the details other than in general, the Ruger is easy to shoot and a good platform for learning basic pistol mechanics and safety.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Why's that a no-no?

I admit, I don't really know the details other than in general, the Ruger is easy to shoot and a good platform for learning basic pistol mechanics and safety.
Just the rules and guidelines; you can only have a gun that weighs so much with X mods, etc.

·
Registered
420 Posts
22/45 w/ 5.5"bbl = 34.4 oz

MkIV target w/ 5.5"bbl = 35.6oz

MKIV standard is 30oz, but has fixed sights.

·
Motorboat Captain
9,990 Posts
Speaking as an Attorney (though not your attorney and my advice is worth what you paid for it): I would advise my clients, who have everything legal, get an incident report with the police.
I spoke with my attorney (who said off the record I should've shot the guy who acted like he had a gun), and also spoke with a police officer. They both said there's no need to make a report since no crime was actually committed. I would like to document that they've been vandalizing my car, but I already know that they can't and won't do anything since I didn't witness it happening.

Thank you for the free advice though. I'm sure I'd owe at least $600 if you were on retainer. :icon_cheers:

·
Registered
848 Posts
There are so many cheap .22 pistols.

We have a Browning buckmark and love it.

The Rugers are the standard.

I have also owned a few S&W 22a, and Beretta Neos. These two worked just fine, accurate and comfortable to shoot. Since they are butt-ugly they are usually really, really cheap lol.

I had a Sig Mosquito - and while I liked the feel of it - it wasn't the most reliable.

I don't particularly know/care about the weights so this post may not have been helpful

·
It's a medical thing.
565 Posts
They both said there's no need to make a report since no crime was actually committed.
They are correct. There is no need, but I tend to think of future problems. (1.e4 basically). If you can show a documented trail of problems, it becomes easier to deal with in the future should that need arise.

·
Super Moderator
2,597 Posts
Speaking of target oriented .22s I am waiting on delivery of my new Ruger MK IV 22/45 LITE.

I went in to this almost certain I wanted the Ruger SR22 but after really evaluating what I wanted to do with it I pivoted to the 22/45 LITE. I've already got about $150 in mods (mostly Tandemkross accessories) I want to do, not counting any eventual optics upgrades. I've got 1000 rounds sitting on my counter waiting to go to the range.

·
Super Moderator
2,597 Posts
Been having fun with the Mk IV 22/45 Lite lately. So far i have done: target trigger, disconnector, sear, hammer, fiber optic sights, compensator, 2 new mags and new wood grips. I might throw a red dot on it eventually, but for indoor shooting I like the normal sights so far.

There are two more mods I am looking at too. There is an extra wide safety that doubles as a thumb rest which looks pretty cool. Just have to pay attention next time I am shooting to see if I would like my thumb in that location or not. Also, they have some magazine followers that are red instead of black and also shorter so you can put 11 rounds in the mag instead of 10.

·
100% Jakedashian
7,266 Posts
I have a 22/45 that I did target with for a few years. I much preferred the grip. As discussed elsewhere, it jammed for reasons unknown to me.

That MKIV Lite is gorgeous.

4241 - 4260 of 4299 Posts