ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading the suprisingly large response to the news that Kurt Vonnegut died, I thought it might be a neat idea to start a thread for making reccomendations on books or authors.

I enjoy reading but dont do so as often as i would like usually because i dont have a good book to read. I figured this would be a good opportunity for people to share good books or authors they have come across, or for people in my situation, a good way for people to learn about some new reading material.

And i apologize if this is too miata.net style. :)

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
The Driving Force by Peter Shutz

If you're a history buff and have a lot of free time on your hands check out The Sword and the Shield: The Mitrokhin Archive and the Secret History of the KGB. I've been struggling to get through it because it's huge and all the names are starting to sound the same to me so it's hard to tell people apart. That and the fact that each person has 1 or 2 code names as well makes it difficult.

For some lighter reading how about The Bourne Identity by Robert Ludlum?

·
Registered
668 Posts
I'm not a bigtime reader but I can offer my recommendation for "Faster! A racers diary" The autobiograghy/diary of Jackie Stewart.
It's a diary of his life the year between his 2 championships.
Sir Jackie Stewart is an amazing man.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
do androids dream of electric sheep? -Philip K. ****
It's the book Blade Runner was based on. As usual the book is better and much different. I'm doing a project on it at the moment.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Issac Adamson's Billy Chaka adventures are a lot of fun.
Tokyo Suckerpunch
Hokkaido Popscicle
Dreaming Pachinko and
Kinki Lullaby

Kind of like a raymond chandler parody meets a parody of Japan. FUn books especially if you've ever been to japan/know japanese culture. They are usually stocked in Mystery or Literature sections.

Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin

Yes, it's fantasy, but it's an amazingly real fantasy world. should appeal to anybody who likes medeavil fiction as well as it's very non magical. Easily best fantasy series since Tolkein, and in many ways superior.

A Game of Thrones
Clash of Kings
A Storm of Swords
Feast for Crows

Warning: it's really addictive and it's an ongoing series. Waits between books can be really long.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I have a real passion for Florida mystery authors. Randy Wayne White, John McDonald, SV Date, Carl Hiaasen, Tim Dorsey, and others I discover on occasion. I also like just about any book about submarines and submarine warfare. I read anything Star Wars that gets put into my hands.

Neil Peart's books have been pretty good for non-fiction stuff.

I'll read pretty much anything. Having owned a used book store for 3.5 years before selling it to move to Florida, I developed pretty eclectic tastes, though I wouldn't say I was pigeonholed on my tastes before. I'm just as likely to enjoy reading the works of Shakespeare as I am a history of The Troubles or a Human Resources manual.

·
Registered
262 Posts
The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan is very good if your into the Tolkienistic fantasy genre.

Also, Robin Cook is an excellent thriller novelist. His stuff tends to be medical in nature. He wrote "Outbreak" if anyone remembers that. The movie was almost nothing like the book though. The book was many times better.

·
Registered
286 Posts
At the moment im reading The Jungle by Upton Sinclair. You can never go wrong with Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas Hunter S. Thompson. That book never gets old.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan is very good if your into the Tolkienistic fantasy genre.
Parts of the series are good. Parts of it are some of the worst crap I have ever read, and I used to read Star Trek novels. I really enjoyed the first four books then the books got worse and worse. The most recent one isn't that bad though.

I mean I'll finish reading them because I've invested so much time in them, but after reading Song of Ice and Fire, WoT seems second rate.

·
Supporting Member
2,723 Posts
clive barker is awesome to if you can handle the gay stuff that pops up out of nowhere.
when it comes to the dark stuff... Neil Gaiman > Clive Barker > Anne Rice ;);) And Harlan Ellison at his best beats them all stupid.

I haven't read any fiction for a few years though. I think I lost the patience to read fiction nowadays. I can read VS Naipaul in one sitting, and I can reread translated Pablo Naruda poetry over and over... but somehow I just can't bring myself to read fiction anymore these days...

·
Registered
1,110 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,430 Posts
Parts of the series are good. Parts of it are some of the worst crap I have ever read, and I used to read Star Trek novels. I really enjoyed the first four books then the books got worse and worse. The most recent one isn't that bad though.

I mean I'll finish reading them because I've invested so much time in them, but after reading Song of Ice and Fire, WoT seems second rate.
The wheel of time series is the only one that's been able to repackage the same story for 11 books and still keep me reading them :lol:

I'd reccomend Brian Jacques' work. Even though he's a children's writer, his Redwall series is VERY grown up imo. They make great traveling books and I took three along when I was in france. Just be sure to start at the beginning of the series or parts won't make much sense. :lol:

Brian Herbert's another good author. Dune series is still one of my favs.

Can't forget about Douglas Adams. Hitchhiker's Guide is a wonderful series full of outstanding brit humor and a great storyline.

A lot of the older Star Wars books were good, especially the compilations they made like Tales from Mos Eisley.

I can also recommend just going out and trying books at random. Library's a great place to start since it's free, and you can find a wealth of other non-fiction resources there too. But don't take my word for it.

·
Mufasa in Training
31,678 Posts
Speaking of Star Wars, I'm re-reading the Timothy Zahn-authored Dark Force Rising trilogy. From what I recall, it was the only series that Lucas actually endorsed (which only says so much :lol: ). Either way, they were pretty good the first time...should be good this time around too.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts