ClubRoadster.net banner

41 - 60 of 87 Posts

·
Hide yo kids hide yo wife
6,286 Posts
Speaking of Star Wars, I'm re-reading the Timothy Zahn-authored Dark Force Rising trilogy. From what I recall, it was the only series that Lucas actually endorsed (which only says so much :lol: ). Either way, they were pretty good the first time...should be good this time around too.
That brings back memories! I used to read all of Timothy Zahns' Star Wars books as a kid. 10 year old kid sitting in the Sci-Fi aisle, nose buried in a book. Ahh the good days.

·
Mr December yo
2,423 Posts

·
Supporting Member
387 Posts
3 of my all time favourites:

Neuromancer by William Gibson (or any of his other early novels) hard to believe it was written in 1984!

Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson

The Raw Shark texts by Steven Hall

·
The Vorlon
4,516 Posts
I also like "hard" sci-fi...and have read most of David Weber's stuff as a result.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I am going to order that last one and read it, just to see how stupid it is. I love to read about how to pick up chicks. Did anyone see that guy Mystery or whatever, you got to be kidding me, no way does that guy get chicks.

Am I the only one here who collects the Miata books?

·
Vendor
7,491 Posts
Someone mentioned Snow Crash, one of my husband's faves is Cryptonomicon.

Besides mirroring Pop-Ups (The Martian and Ready Player One) I'm in the middle of A Son of the Middle Border by Hamlin Garland. It's the "boy" pov pioneer settler story where Laura Ingalls Wilder was the "girl" pov version. Before that I read Desert Solitaire: A Season in the Wilderness by Edward Abbey.

·
(⌐■_■)
2,128 Posts
I'm more into non fiction works, preferably ones that are [auto]biographical with man v nature themes - the last few books that I've finished

Wild - Cheryl Strayed
Me talk pretty one day - david sedaris
Stuart, a life backwards - Alexander masters
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know - Ranulph Fiennes

I think I'm going to The Rider by Tim Krabbe or Blood Meridian by Cormac Mccarthy next

·
Vendor
7,491 Posts
It gets a little tedious in parts, but I enjoyed Neil Peart's Ghost Rider: Travels on the Healing Road (he's the drummer from Rush). He lists all the books he reads on his rides, which is where I got the idea to read Edward Abbey.

Here's his reviews on a long list of books: http://www.nypl.org/blog/2012/11/05/neil-peart-reading-list

Road Fever by Tim Cahill was interesting. From Tierra del Fuego to Alaska in under 24 days. Just two dudes.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'm a fan of Christopher Moore, I've read three of his books so far: Lamb, Coyote Blue and A Dirty Job. I have Serpents of Venice, Bite Me and You Suck on deck.

I'd recommend: A Prayer for Owen Meany and One Night in Twisted River, both by John Irving. Each is gripping and funny but kinda on the darker side of life (fiction). I had a hard time putting either of them down.

For those who enjoy Arthurian tales, The Mists of Avalon was a great read. King Arthur's life and legend as seen through the eyes of a woman. It's not a quick book but it is well written, IMO.

I've read and donated a ton of books and can barely remember the titles.

Now I have to see what all the hype is about regarding Of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. I've seen the book forever and now it's a movie.

·
Registered
11,684 Posts
Bringing it back.

Best books you've read recently?

I just finished The Martian, amazing.

Right now I'm reading Ready Player One, also amazing.
Martian was outstanding.

Ready Player One is also good. The one he wrote after that? PAINFUL. I think it was called Armada? I couldn't get more than 50 pages in.

I read Aurora by Kim Stanley Robinson a few weeks ago. It was okay. The writing was truly horrible, but it was supposed to be. The narrator and "writer" is the AI running the ship taking people to a far-off solar system. The plot was interesting enough for me to finish it, but the writing was.... so bad.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
I teach high school literature, so we deal with a lot of classics...
Antigone
The Book of Judith
Misc. poetry
Beowulf
Dr. Faustus
Shakespeare (12th Night is my favorite)
Dante's Inferno

I think my favorite book I teach is admittedly Seamus Heaney's bilingual version of Beowulf. Outside of work I really enjoyed Ayn Rand's Anthem and classic sci-fi like Ray Bradbury, Aldous Huxley (Brave New World), etc.

41 - 60 of 87 Posts