ClubRoadster.net banner

61 - 80 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
11,684 Posts
I'm a fan of Christopher Moore, I've read three of his books so far: Lamb, Coyote Blue and A Dirty Job. I have Serpents of Venice, Bite Me and You Suck on deck.
Lamb is super good. It's in my top 10 books of all time list for sure.

Dirty Job was awesome. I read the sequel (Secondhand Souls I think) a few weeks ago. It was also very good. One of his best sequels in my opinion.

Fool is fucking phenomenal. It's up there with Lamb. I highly recommend it.

Bloodsucking Fiends is great. Bite Me, the sequel, is... okay. You Suck (part 3) is sorta like fan fiction. Not his best work, but it's fun to see the characters again.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Derp! I bought The Martian well before the movie came out. Loved it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Ah, thanks, Adam. My gf has nearly all of his books but I never realized some of them were in sequence (clarity of mind, for me, is a rare luxury these days). I'll revisit that when I have time.

·
Registered
930 Posts
In 3 pages, not one mention of Mark Donohue? The Unfair Advantage is such an awesome look at racing in the 60's and 70's. I've read through it several times and to me it reads as if Donohue is sitting next to me telling me the stories instead of me reading them. The chapter on the Camero and the 917 are some of the most insightful looks into race car development I have seen.

I also read Flat Out/ Flat Broke. A very funny look into the racing life the the black Stig from Top Gear. I have only read through it once and really need to do it again.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
The Assassin Trilogy by Robert Ferrigno.

1. Prayers for the Assassin
2. Sins of the Assassin
3. Heart of the Assasin

All really good.

·
Traitor!
4,453 Posts
Ready Player One is also good. The one he wrote after that? PAINFUL. I think it was called Armada? I couldn't get more than 50 pages in.
That's disappointing, but good to know.

Not sure what I'll be picking up next. Either Black Prism by Brent Weeks or Sex at Dawn by Christopher Ryan. Maybe the latter as I need some non fiction for a bit.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Books, I like books.

I've been reading a lot of Sci-Fi lately. Just finished the first 3 of the Foundation series and am in the middle of Bradury's The Illustrated Man. Really like The Illustrated Man, the Foundation books were good but not as great as I was lead to believe.

Someone mentioned Cormac McCarthy earlier and I still get flash black from his books and not in a good way.

·
Traitor!
4,453 Posts
Totally forgot about my next book...

Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suits by David Wong

Only a chapter in but it seems consistently Wong...which I'm totally okay with.

·
Traitor!
4,453 Posts
I read Wong because of this thread. Let's get this active again!

Current: 1984.
Previous: The Handmaid's Tale.
*high five* Handmaid's Tale is a good read, movie with Robert Duvall is freaking awful but I think acclaim for the series on Hulu has been positive so far.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Currently reading A Game of Thrones and have the rest of the series sitting on the shelf....waiting. I'm doing it backwards and reading the books after watching the series.

My all time fave is IT by King. I've read it three times and can't wait for the movie to hit the theaters this Fall!

·
Too young to #swag
1,738 Posts
In the last 4 days, I've finished reading:
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
Armada by Ernest Cline
Off To Be the Wizard by Scott Meyer
Black by Ted Dekker and am almost done with Red, the next in his Circle series.

All fantastic books, highly recommend.

·
Too young to #swag
1,738 Posts
Finished reading The Circle series by Ted Dekker earlier today and completely recommend the series.

And just now finished The Diving Bell and the Butterfly by Jean-Dominique Bagby. The book was incredible and is the story of a man who suffered a massive stroke that left him completely paralyzed minus the ability to move his left eye; that's how he mananged to write the story. Highly recommend.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Believe it or not, The 5th Wave is good. The author really does a good job playing with the motif of paranoia. And while I'm not a fan of YA books, this one stands out. It's an alien scenario that isn't so much of "holy #&%$ alien blasters and proton rays" but instead just a means to an end to explore how fragile humanity can be psychologically.

As for the movie? Absolute garbage.

61 - 80 of 87 Posts