ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So in the past week I noticed that my clutch would grab really early sometimes when I would start to release it when it was to the floor. And starting yesterday its doing this almost every time. Also, if I am at a stop and push the clutch in and hold it in gear for a few seconds and then try to take it out of gear, it will not let me and slowly stall itself out. If I pump the clutch a few times it seems to make it almost normal...but I really dont want to pump my clutch every time I come to a stop.

So far I did a gravity bleed: no luck. I had my dad pump the pedal and I would open the slave cylander and then close: no luck. And my dad helped me do a pressure bleed with a pump as well: no luck.

So by the symptoms I gave you guys, does anybody have any ideas as to whats going on?

My oem clutch has less than 15K on it.

Thank you for taking the time to read and help me!

·
Registered
551 Posts
I had a similar problem except pumping the clutch for me caused the clutch to not disengage at all.

The cause of my problem ended up being a leaking seal INSIDE the cylinder (either master or slave, I just had them both replaced since the Autozone warranty on both parts were still valid). If seal is leaking on the inside, you won't be able to see anything on the outside, cuz it's contained, but it causes the clutch to not disengage cuz the cylinder is losing pressure.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had a similar problem except pumping the clutch for me caused the clutch to not disengage at all.

The cause of my problem ended up being a leaking seal INSIDE the cylinder (either master or slave, I just had them both replaced since the Autozone warranty on both parts were still valid). If seal is leaking on the inside, you won't be able to see anything on the outside, cuz it's contained, but it causes the clutch to not disengage cuz the cylinder is losing pressure.
thank you. How long did it take you to change both? and did you replace the the lines as well?

·
Chinchilla Rancher
3,880 Posts
The slave cylinder is on its way out. Change it out ASAP to prevent yourself headache when it goes out in traffic. Getting the car rolling with the starter and already in gear with clutchless shifting is quite hard on the car and a bit tricky.

Also, changing the slave cylinder is fairly easy. Just 2 bolts hold it in place and undo the hydraulic hard line and that's pretty much it. Go at it from the front passenger side wheel well.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Had the same thing happen while stuck in traffic. So I replaced the slave cylinder and work fine, for a day. Next day in traffic, same thing. So I replaced the master cylinder and have been fine since... So pretty much just change both.

·
Registered
551 Posts
thank you. How long did it take you to change both? and did you replace the the lines as well?
I think it took me an hour to change both and to get air out of the system by myself. Each cylinder is just 2 nuts (or was it bolts??), and the nut on the steel line.

I have replaced the rubber line that is located on the passenger side next to the firewall with a steel braided line. I only changed this because I was told that was the reason why my clutch fluid kept turning dark. Well...it still turned dark anyways :lol:

May I suggest you get one of those flare nut wrenches to remove the steel lines. The nut on my slave cylinder was on there so tight that my combi wrench just ended up rounding it. I ended up using a vice grip that just tore it up even more but I was able to get it off that way.

This is a flare nut wrench in case you're not familiar:

Don't know what size you need though.

My god I am long winded.

·
enormous gay swords.
6,360 Posts
Its a 10mm. You can also use a "crows foot" which attaches to a 3/8 socket wrench. We use them at the shop where I work for brake and clutch lines

1 - 12 of 12 Posts