ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
need to replace my slave cylinder....spend $9 on a rebuild or $30+ for a replacement? what do you guys think? how long will the rebuild last me for? and i plan on replacing master cylinder as well...your thoughts matter :lol:

·
2,708 Posts
Only one way to find out, take it apart. It's ALOT easier then it sounds and it's self explanatory once you get it off the car. What you want to check for is that the bore is smooth. If it feels grainy, more then likely you will need a new slave cylinder.

I've rebuilt two with no problems whatsoever with a smooth bore.

·
Registered
720 Posts
i had to replace both as well
if you go to mazda they arnt brand new they are rebuilt ones and then you give them your old one as a core charge
the slave was new though

·
Registered
368 Posts
Personally, for a difference of about $25...I think I'd much rather just put in a NEW one.

I mean, I could see if it were a difference of over $100...otherwise, a new one will probably give you more peace-of-mind & last you alot longer than a rebuilt one.

I'm not a rich guy, but depending on the part/function you're fixing...some areas just shouldn't be cheap on, y'know?

·
2,708 Posts
Personally, for a difference of about $25...I think I'd much rather just put in a NEW one.

I mean, I could see if it were a difference of over $100...otherwise, a new one will probably give you more peace-of-mind & last you alot longer than a rebuilt one.

I'm not a rich guy, but depending on the part/function you're fixing...some areas just shouldn't be cheap on, y'know?
Have you taken apart the slave cylinder before? The only difference between a new one and used one is the bore smoothness. Like I said, if the bore is already smooth, why bother buying a new one? The rebuild kit is basicly just the pin and rubber pieces. Worth the price savings to me, plus you get to learn about your car :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts