ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I did search for a little while for this but was only able to find one other thread but it didn't have a clear resolution so forgive me if it's already been asked elsewhere.

I'm running into an issue with my Tein street advance Z coilovers where I can't go any lower without the collars for the springs hitting/rubbing on the axles/half-shaft/whatever they are. Essentially I still want to go lower in the rear but am not sure what my options are.

As far as I understand it what really needs to happen is for the spring length to become shorter so that I can get the desired height but not have to have those collars quite as low. My question then become what is the best way to go about this? Cutting the rear springs doesn't really seem like an ideal solution. Is it not as big a deal as I'm thinking to cut them a little bit, or am I correct in thinking I shouldn't go down that road?

Replacing just the springs in the rear with shorter ones would seem like the better solution to me, but obviously they would have to be the same diameter as what tein uses in order to fit those perches correctly. If that's a realistic option how would I go about finding springs that would suit my needs? I would imagine there are going to be different spring sizes that manufacturers use and they don't always sell just one set of springs (or am I wrong about this).

I have read other accounts of people having similar issues but a lot of them were people who had coilovers with helper springs who were able to take them out (which doesn't apply to me).

I know tein makes a ton of different stuff for a ton of different cars. Would it be worth trying to email them or calling support or something and see if they have anything I could buy that would suit my needs?

^that's as low as I can get the back without the collars making contact with the axles.

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated. I would think I'm not the first person who has ever had this issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Generally springs are 2.25", 2.5" or 60mm.

Quick google machine trip should get you there. ;)
Gotcha, I didn't realize there were a few generally accepted/used sizes or whatever. Looks like fab9 sells replacement tein springs in different rates and lists them as "Compatible with Street Flex, Advance, Basis front and rear. For 1 item added to the cart you will recieve a pair (2 springs). I.D.70mm Length 175mm." So 175mm = 6.889in so getting something shorter than that should do the trick, and that info tells me what size the springs are and all that.

Going from there it looks like tein does sell "standard springs" in different sizes and spring rates and has one that's 5.9in (or 150mm) so about an inch shorter.

It also looks like the spring rates for the ones it came with are 336lbs or 6kgf. Would it make sense to go with a slightly stiffer spring in order to compensate for the difference in length or just stick with the 6k if I'm happy enough with them now except for the clearance issues?

Is there anything I'm missing in my thinking here or does that make sense? I'm new to this sort of thing and I just want to make sure I'm thinking this all through correctly so I don't end up spending money I don't need to or on the wrong thing, ya know.

·
Administrator
15,253 Posts
Apparently also 70mm. Neat. :lol:

I don't think spring rate matters at those ride heights. You're going to be on the bump stops 24/7/365 and it's going to ride and handle like ass either way. Flip a coin.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Apparently also 70mm. Neat. :lol:

I don't think spring rate matters at those ride heights. You're going to be on the bump stops 24/7/365 and it's going to ride and handle like ass either way. Flip a coin.

Yeah I wouldn't *think* it would make much of a difference, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. Looks like I'll just have to find a place I can order them from.

Thanks for the reassurance!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts