ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I'm looking to get some low in my life here soon and get away from my current 4X4 status lol I think I have my heart set on picking up a set of Tein Street Advance coilovers, but I wanted to get an idea of what other Miata people run on their rides before I make my final decision. Mind you, I am not looking to spend an arm and a leg here either lol And I'm a hella functional kind of guy. I'm not aiming for the "damn there's a speedbump.... guess I have to turn around" kind of low, but certainly enough to kill the hideous wheel gap! haha Performance and lack of wheel gap is what I'm after. What all would you suggest? And what setups does everyone run?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hey everyone! I'm looking to get some low in my life here soon and get away from my current 4X4 status lol I think I have my heart set on picking up a set of Tein Street Advance coilovers, but I wanted to get an idea of what other Miata people run on their rides before I make my final decision. Mind you, I am not looking to spend an arm and a leg here either lol And I'm a hella functional kind of guy. I'm not aiming for the "damn there's a speedbump.... guess I have to turn around" kind of low, but certainly enough to kill the hideous wheel gap! haha Performance and lack of wheel gap is what I'm after. What all would you suggest? And what setups does everyone run?
Raceland, clearly the best and cheapest....Anyone who says otherwise is just a jealous jive turkey

:phillyb:

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
take a look at the FM website. lots of performance oriented parts and not too expensive. welcome newbster

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just looking for opinions and input from real people and real users. I'm well versed at searching, thank you. It doesn't exactly require a phd lol But as I said I'm really looking for opinions on what people use themselves mostly. And as much as I love Flyin' Miata's coilovers, I have a buddy running adjustable VMaxx's and I'm looking to go a different route.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Fat Cat Motorsport's coil overs are awesome. After a run at a track, a Porsche club instructor told me that he thought my Miata was the best handling Miata he had ever ridden in. They've been written up in numerous articles including an issue of Grassroots Motorsports.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fat Cat Motorsport's coil overs are awesome. After a run at a track, a Porsche club instructor told me that he thought my Miata was the best handling Miata he had ever ridden in. They've been written up in numerous articles including an issue of Grassroots Motorsports.
That's pretty awesome. I am definitely going to look into those. When you get Euro sportscar guys telling you your car handles amazingly you know you've done something right!

·
Supporting Mamber
3,672 Posts
Buddy clubs are awesome, got a hook up for $800 vs like $1200-$1700. Very well dampned shock, IMO rides and feels better than tein flex. Rates are 8/6

·
(⌐■_■)
2,184 Posts
I'm not aiming for the "damn there's a speedbump.... guess I have to turn around" kind of low, but certainly enough to kill the hideous wheel gap!
Unfortunately, even lowering the car enough to eliminate wheel gap means you'll have to avoid speedbumps

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you were as well versed in searching as you say you are, you would have found people's opinions on coilovers as well.
It's the age of the computer, my friend. Everyone who has ever heard of Google can scour the web for information. I promise you it is not a difficult task. lol. But I think you're missing the point here. This is a forum focusing on our beloved roadsters, yes? And a good number of the users here run coilovers, so what better way to get real opinions from real users than to simply ask the question. And again it was also a curiosity question as well. It's always cool to see what other people are using.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Unfortunately, even lowering the car enough to eliminate wheel gap means you'll have to avoid speedbumps
Yeah I know lol But I meant I'm not looking to be so slammed that practical driving isn't really possible. I've seen pics of users so low that their house key becomes a standard form of measurement lol That's too much for me XD

·
enormous gay swords.
6,360 Posts
Do you need a height adjustable shock? I'm running on dampening adjustable Tokico Illuminas and FM springs and my car looks good IMO. It also drives fantastically!

I'll be upgrading to could eventually but for DD/AutoX duties, this setup is really good

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
^ We understand your point very well. But understand, this question gets asked at least twice week, every week. So it gets monotonous, there's no offense to you. But these questions have been answered over and over again. Also, you haven't gone into enough detail for your uses of the car. All you said is you don't want to be low enough to avoid speedbumps. That doesn't say much. Explain whether you just want a daily or weekend car, auto-x/solo, back roader, tracker. Be specific and you'll get more rewarding responses.

But from the coilovers I've used, I LOVEEE my current setup (Xida ClubSport 450 lb/in F - 300 lb/in - R). Rides much better than stock dampers and springs in every way possible. More expensive than others, but worth every cent. And they have a lifetime warranty. My car is a daily driver and auto-x and back road kind of car and that works best. I chose those spring rates because that is what was recommended based on my needs and wants.

Before that, I had a set of Tein Flexs. They were good and got a lot of smiles out of them. Used the standard spring rates 7kg/mm front and 6kg/mm rear. I was at a reasonable ride height (12.75" rear, 12.50" front) but the ride was a little to harsh. Sold them to a buddy of mine and loves them.

I also had GC sleeves and springs coupled with KYB-AGX 4 way adjustable dampers. Bought the sleeves and springs from FM and dampers from RSpeed. It was a good setup, really enjoyed them and comfortable. I hit a big pothole and blew my front shock out so it was reason enough to get an actual set of coilovers.

·
Registered
178 Posts
all Chinese/Taiwanese Coil overs are manufactured by the same OEM manufacturer. Each brand has their own paint schemes and various springs rate from 4kg and up. I have Yonaka on my for about 9 months/3,000 miles. I am very with the ride. Yonaka spring rates are the same as Flying Miata Coil over. Stay away from Raceland. Paid $600.00 for the Yonaka. The closest to the the Yonaka is EZ street for about the same $$$$. Good luck

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I'm happy with my Megan Streets. Stiff spring rates but they dont rub and are bearable with a 50 series or larger tire.

·
Registered
496 Posts
:fp:

tein flex.
use the search button, or be prepared to be flamed for the entirety of your stay.
that is all.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Racelands are good IF:

You get some kind of tophats that extend your shock travel. If you don't, they'll blow and you'll regret ever making that decision.

Take it from somebody who knows.

Of course, they have a 2 year warranty so I just gotta get tophats and have the shocks replaced.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Racelands are good IF:

You get some kind of tophats that extend your shock travel. If you don't, they'll blow (literally and figuratively) and you'll regret ever making that decision.

Take it from somebody who knows.

Of course, they have a 2 year warranty so I just gotta get tophats and have the shocks replaced.
:phillyb:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts