ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does everyone run their shocks on thier coilovers @ for drifting or grip? Like I have Tein SS's and i run the front at 8 and 16 in back for drifting. :D

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I would think suspension setup for both would be very similar, what you want in both is neutral handling. so you can make the car grip or slip as required. I mean setting up a drift car to be tail-happy would make it easy to get the tail out but very hard to keep it from coming around. Listening to people like Tsuchiya talk, entering a drift is oversteering, but maintaining it is understeering.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I totally agree Agent935... for Autocross I have my Tein Flex set to 4 and 16. With the NB having such a wimpy rear sway bar, the soft setting in the rear makes sure the tires are planted to the ground no matter what. I'm sure this is all going to change once I get the Racing Beat 1.25" front sway bar.... I'm still some what playing with my settings, but this seems to be a pretty common setting at least for autocross as many of the Roadster drivers I race with run similar settings.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Dang Mx5 Drifter you run 4 in front??? I have the 1.25 sway bar in front and the 5/8 rear( i think). Around what should I run my shocks for a happy medium in settings... between loose and mass understeer?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I was talking to Rhys Millen the other day. Most of the "good" pro drift guys (ie- the ones with background in real racing) say that a good drift set up is a good race set up. I totally agree. Every drift car I have driven that was balanced also was able to turn quick lap times in "grip mode".

Matt

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
i'm not saying there aren't things that cater to setting up a drift car, but this whole, "drift setup" thing is a little silly for 99% of people who are going to attend a drift day.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I agree with what you guys have been saying. A good balanced neutral sided setup is the key for grip and drift. If you can make the car do what you want at your command with little fighting the setup that is the key to be fast... and fancy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts