ClubRoadster.net banner

41 - 60 of 122 Posts

·
CR.net Supporter
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
^ Cool, I'll be sure to check it out. I should email him and ask him a few of my remaining questions. He IS a suspension guru, after all. I've always been impressed with his site.

Edit: Ok, searched...couldn't find a review from him. What should I be entering in the search field? Do you have a link?

·
Supporting Member
1,670 Posts
Shaikh's cardomain site has a write-up on why Tein is "so good." Mainly has a lot to do with their intelligent bumpstop design (similar to his, iirc) and good valving of the shocks.
I've asked him about Stance, but he has no experience with them. You ask Rob (he works for Stance/Tougefactory) of Roadsterdrift.com. He knows and understands a good bit about coilover design and knows the Stance GRs on his NB like the back of his hand.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
the trend with the stance seems to be that those who either know nothing about suspensions except that they want to be low and stiff, or they only drift think they're good. Those that know a good deal about suspensions think they're not so good.

·
Supporting Member
1,670 Posts
I think they're good (not great), and I know a good bit about suspension. However I'm not a fan of the top hat design....which doesn't increase shock travel at all. I agree with the first sentence in your statement completely though. Second sentence, eh, its justifiable from what I've seen.

·
CR.net Supporter
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Hmm, interesting. I was drawn towards the Stance GR+ for a number of reasons...price, inverted monotube design (I know, it's subjective, but I like the monotubes better), spherical bearing upper-mount, the 8kg 6kg front and rear spring rates, larger pistons, etc.

I'm not concerned with drifting nor would I label myself as one that doesn't know anything about suspensions - but I don't have any experience with either the Tein's or the Stance's. No one around my area is sporting any coilovers that I know of in a Miata.

·
CR.net Supporter
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
^Word, thanks. I'll talk to both Shaikh and Rob (hopefully unbiased opinions) about the Tein's vs. Stance's. I'm glad I've got it narrowed down to two possibilities though - thanks to all of you for your help.

=D>

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
i must say that i'm probably also a bit biased as I'm buying Flexes tomorrow and no one likes to think they made the wrong choice. Why not see if you can get a ride in a couple different setups to help you see what you want?

·
CR.net Supporter
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
^Haha, understandable. Be sure to post up a review after yours show up!

Edit: The reason I haven't ridden in anyone's setup is because, well...I don't know of anyone around my area that owns a Miata who also has either Tein or Stance coilovers installed. Otherwise, I'd be all over it.

·
Supporting Member
1,670 Posts
Yeah, thats a problem here too. A few local autoXguys have GC setups with Koni or AGX, but I don't bother riding with them. I know what rates I want, and I'm not overly concerned with ride comfort considering how firm (not really stiff) my S13's suspension was. Plus, I know Bilstein valving has got to be better than Megan Racing....hahaha

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
well I'll be getting them tomorrow but after just doing my brakes and doing the GF's brakes (subaru forester whose brakes Satan had a hand in making,took about three times as long as the miata) I'm gonna give it a couple weeks before I tackle the coilovers. So you'll have till then for a review. I don't think I've ever found a bad review of the flex though. the only quirk is that the spring rates are close together so you'll either have to factor in a new front sway bar or custom spring rates to get the right balance back. good luck

·
Registered
244 Posts
I currently have the Stance on my car and have the Flex's sitting in my house waiting to be installed.

The stance were a bit to stiff for me, that was until I put street tires on the car :lol:

So my original opinion was based on running uber stiff sidewall tires on the street with a stiff suspension. Now that I'm running T1R's the suspension is much more liveable. But I'm still getting rid of them in favor of the Flex. There have just been to many good reviews of the flex.

Plus I have the EDFC which will come in handy.

I think you'll be happy with either, just make sure to adjust the rear shock body to give you as much suspension travel without reducing spring pre-load all to much!

Good luck.

PS
Got the Stance here: http://storesense.megawebservers.com/HS318/-strse-929/STANCE-Coilovers-Mazda-Miata/Detail.bok

Got the Flex here: http://adrenalineracing.com/product_info.php/products_id/339
(contact them and tell them you are on m.net to see if they can come down on the price at all)

·
Registered
459 Posts
hi arcana. looking for nice dual purpose susp. is a bitch huh? but here's what i look for in a high price susp. or if i would to spend the $. hope it can make sense or be useful.

1) spring rate (ranges from personal preference or to combine with other susp. upgrades to flow nicely)
2) height adjustment #1: by perch for ride height and loading of the strut. (i focus on this now due to previous experience. too much loading on one side can lead to loss in strut travel leading to early failure if driven lowered on the street)
3)height adjustment #2: threaded strut body height adjustment. this is an useful function. it can increase the strut travel, or less loss of.
no sudden understeer or over when you bottom out. and no more early strut unit failure. it also balances/smoothens weight shifting changes.(this benefit is more easily understood when you can picture the upset in loads on the units when lowering with a aftermarket strut paired with coilover spring and perch unit.)
4)dampening adjustment.
now, having bound and rebound adjustment levels are just the more hardcore and nice to have feature. but if looking for a "good buy" thats worth the money, it would have to have the three features above first to be worth the money under $1k. imo. other features should be looked at after to justify willingness to buy or invest...

you can add more criteria...but at that rate, i don't think you would **** around. as more features hereon out equals more $$$. so if you're not heavily into motorsports and the idea of setting adjustments on your suspension for street and track already gives you a headache...i think the money for the features above should already suit the ordinary enthusiast's needs.
anyways...here are other features i look into for the money i'll waste that the over $1k suspension better have.

5)strut top camber plates. of course...that getting popular of course. i have friends that drop more than 1k for those tein units with edfc...things they never use or touch again once its installed.
6)strut shaft diameter. hey, you know what say...the bigger it is, the stronger...u get the point.
7) electronic damper valve adjustment unit of any sort. not necessary, but just icing on the cake to be able to adjust to soft setting for the street on the fly. now correct me if i'm wrong. these aren't that useful for real competition if you already like to fine tune your damping levels for specific characteristic on problematic corners yourself on the track.
8)
9)
10).....come up with more reasons why anyone would spend upwards of $1300 for any suspension? color?... weight?... bushings?...brand name?...

don't get me wrong guys, tein is a good japanese product. but its over hyped too much and expensive. you are getting a good product. but its better to get something worth all your investments and needs. say spending $1800 for something, and your friend gets something that may be a better product or more useful, and its $500 less. and i never tried megan or a salesperson for them...but at $800...give me something that has that much features for less $$$and i'll go with that.

·
Registered
244 Posts
strut top camber plates are useless on an car that has a double A-Arm suspension. Camber adjustment is achived at the A-Arm's.

When you have 99% positive feedback of a suspension, that is what creates the hype. Nobody is jumping over Tein because of the name, but because it is proven to be a great street / track setup. The Tein Flex has a few more options built in that make them nicer, and they are also a bit more stoutthan the SS or basic.

Value is in the eye of the beholder.. EDFC is worth it to me since I will be going full soft for street, and much firmer for auto-x and track andI dont want to have to pull the rear fuel protection panel off every time I adjust my dampers ;)

·
Supporting Member
1,670 Posts
Yes, camber plates on a Miata = useless.
The EDFC is nice, but I have no problem hopping out of the car and turning all 4 knobs to specific settings on my own....then again, I'm a poor college student.

·
Registered
459 Posts
thanks for the input bela.

but i was thinking that those points are important to look for when shopingfor suspension in general. at least the first three criteria.

i'm glad u like ur teins. but its save to say they "are" highly priced and definitely not the ultimate suspension.

they can't turn out winning suspension for every single car application. for every person's needs.

so lets just say that having product knowledge and having some ideas on what to look for first, then brand name second...you'll end up with a good buy worthy of your investment.

41 - 60 of 122 Posts