ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My real name isn't Colby, my last name isn't Jones, and Danger unfortunately is not my middle name. But I figured I just hit one year of ownership this last April fools day, so it was time to start a build thread.

This is the story of my 95, captured in super broke-**** slow-mo!

To understand me, I'll show you my first car:

My 1969 Baja Bug. It was a rolling piece of shitcake on a rusty fork, but I loved it. His name was Corky for no apparent reason. You could see the road through the floor while driving, there was essentially no heat, 60 mph felt like you were asking to die, and I loved him.

I sold that precious bug because I knew I wanted a Miata, and I wanted to have the money ready when the opportunity arose.

Well, that opportunity presented itself, and I picked my car up in Kingston across a ferry ride

I bought it with 127k miles. It had a crunched passenger side fender, and little outward dimples on both rear quarter panels that still to this day infuriate me. Nevertheless, I was happy.

Picked up some new wtheels for $90 with tires, ended up being 14x6 Rota MSR:

and painted them:

THEN! I decided the wing that the car came with wasn't flyin' so I put up a trade on c-list for a non-wing trunk and shortly after I found a trade.

After that, some small things such as cleaning up the engine bay, decluttering, and painting my valve cover. That resulted in this:

ON THE NEXT EPISODE: :winky:

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Episode 2: Slow-mo-low-bro.

Bought an ebay front lip, and somewhere in there painted my headlight buckets white:

As shown in episode 1, I bought some sexy Fortune Auto's off of Squirrel lover on CR, and it took me awhile to get them on. Combination of lazyness, rain, gravel driveway, no garage, kittens (I wish), school, excuses, and lazyness. This combo resulted first in this:

There was enough lag time that I even went to buy a hardtop while running rake like a drag car.
Half done, had to kick my own ass into gear and go out in the rain like a child. There may have been puddle jumping on break time. Regardless, hardtop + rear coils finally =

COMING UP ON Ep. 3: WINTER

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I love montego so much but it's funny, I was just stumbling upon ThePass's wing in the for sale threads and looking at the back end of his red miata thinking damn that looks good.. And as well in your build thread I think you were looking for an s2k?

Hopefully eventually I'll be to the point that an extreme bumper cutout can look good on my montego.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So sometime in the winter, my mom decided she would pick up a miata as well.

She also decided that it would be a 95 montego blue.

She also decided to get one with half the miles, no body damage, and the severe need of a clutch because she knew I'd fix it for her. 78,000 miles on it, for $1,600.

This posed the inherent need to make my car not look anything like hers, of course. Although she doesn't plan on really doing anything to it, every time I pull a part off my car it kind of magically ends up on hers..

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Around this time I started expecting snow, because we're in Washington and that's what happens. I even bought studded tires in preparation that made my car handle like an overcooked spaghetti noodle.

I had to raise my suspension up a little bit to fit the HUGE sidewalls on the snow tires.

And wallah!

They were going to just be green, but I decided to paint them glow in the dark as well. Also, I wish I kept my blacklight from my 90's childhood because to be honest the krylon "glowz" isn't all that bright unless you REALLY light it up. Plus it applied terribly and cracked and I don't wanna talk about it.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ep. 4: No-mo-glow-fo-sho.
So I ordered both front fenders off of miataturbo from a guy for a pretty good price. They were from an M-edition and in the pictures they looked like they still had the badges on and everything. They didn't!

Who pulls the badges and leaves all of the adhesive and doesn't relay that to the buyer? Anyways, they sat too long in the garage so I decided to change out the crunched fender about a month ago. It was long overdue.

It matches better than it looks, the rest of the car is just dirty. The only difference is the lower portion of the fender being black instead of painted like the other side.

Btw, the gunk looks like it would damage the paint for some reason to me if I removed it the normal way with a heat gun and whatnot because it's completely hardened, but maybe I'm wrong. Any tips?

I also finally got the snow tires off, considering it didn't snow at all (hardly) and it was pretty much useless for me to have put them on. I picked up some cheap tires off of craigslist as well and threw them on.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Around this time in the miata's life, we parted ways. For over a week. I went to China bitches! This is the thread with all the pictures, but I figured I'd post some here too.

I figure I'll introduce myself to anyone unfortunate enough to have meandered in here.

My name is Colton, and I am 20 years old in July. Here's one of the greatest experiences of my life:

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I want to move there...now.
It was awesome. Now, there were some things that would deter me from moving there, but I would definitely make extended trips. It sounded like it was very difficult to register cars there (and VERY expensive) and I did not see any modified cars while I was there.

Our tour guide, Ping Ping, was confused when asked about any sort of car modification. That is not to say, however, that it doesn't exist obviously. If you can go though, do it.

·
Registered
219 Posts
It was awesome. Now, there were some things that would deter me from moving there, but I would definitely make extended trips. It sounded like it was very difficult to register cars there (and VERY expensive) and I did not see any modified cars while I was there.

Our tour guide, Ping Ping, was confused when asked about any sort of car modification. That is not to say, however, that it doesn't exist obviously. If you can go though, do it.
Ah, well that's kind of lame. The scenary itself looks gorgeous! Everything is so uniform, and perfect, LOL.

Maybe Ping Ping was out of the loop. I gaurantee if you asked a random person in the states, the chances of them knowing about car modifications are slim to none, you know?

How come the choice to go to China over Japan? Just wondering, as I always hear of people wanting to go to Japan over China.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How come the choice to go to China over Japan? Just wondering, as I always hear of people wanting to go to Japan over China.
I went on this trip with my school. I go to Lake Washington Institute of Technology and a school over there called Changzhou Institute of Mechatronic Technology (no joke) invited ten students from the automotive section over. Currently another trip is being scheduled, so I may try to be on that as well. I also have the opportunity to go over for up to two years to teach english there if I so choose.

Anyways, we payed for airfare, and basically nothing else. The Chinese school put us up in a hotel, fed us everday, and toured us around everywhere. The picture with the glass floor is the needle looking building in the nightexposure shot of the "bund" cityscape. Tickets to go up in it were like $40 US apiece and they fronted that at multiple places for us.

If I could go to japan for the price (or even more) than the trip to China, you're damn skippy I'd already be on the plane.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts