ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 478 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

I bought this guy back in 2007, fall of junior year at UW-Madison. At the time, I had a summer internship that I drove 50 miles a day for in Beloit (because **** living in Beloit), and spent most of my downtime at work checking Craigslist for Miatas. One day this guy popped up in Rockford, a town slightly south of Beloit. I drove down to check it out. I hadn't driven stick for years, so I just had the seller drive me around for a couple minutes. It felt right, so I wrote them a check a couple minutes later. They said they'd cash the check then let me pick it up when it cleared. Evidently 14 people had called to see the car after I had made the appointment, being quick on the draw helped.

Paid $4500, two owners, 67,000 miles, came with a hard top.

In retrospect I should have probably gotten cash, or gotten the car inspected, or pretty much just not handed complete strangers most of my savings at the time, but whatever. I picked the car up the next week and stalled it the whole way home :v. The car is going through a bit of an overhaul now, so this "build" thread is more or less a diary of how it got to where is today, then where it'll be going. In the five years I've been on this site, I haven't posted much about my car because I didn't think it was really worth posting about, but I think it'll be at least a bit interesting after these next couple months go by. Hoping to be done by mid April.

·
Premium Member
6,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i didn't even know you drove a miata..
Believe it or not :v

Anyway, I didn't do much with the car for a couple months. I was broke and quite honestly, I knew nothing about cars so I didn't want to do anything stupid. I registered on m.net, here and mt.net and spent a good amount of time lurking and searching.

Searching through my DCIM folder, it appears that the first "mod" I made was R-Speed vent rings, along with a Voodoo shift knob. The Voodoo knob was garbage, I got rid of that almost immediately. The rings I sort of wish I had back at this point.

Right before Christmas 2007, this happened. First major purchase, the now rare 15x8 6UL in black with polished lip. These sat in my apartment room for a couple months before I could put tires on them. Snow will do that. Amusingly enough, my desk still looks the same. Same monitor, same studio monitors, same keyboard, upgraded to solid beechwood instead of particle board though.

I got myself some front and rear mudflaps for Christmas that year, regret it a bit as they rub on the paint. Ah well.

Fast forward to March 2008, 225/45/15 RS2s, severe 4x4 status. I drove the car at this height until 2011 :D

·
Premium Member
6,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sometimes words hurt... :cry2: XD

Looking forward to getting caught up on your build! www.weather.com seems to think you'll have a few days to post up updates!

Oh! Never saw a set of the 6ULs with the polished lip before. Quite nice.
:icon_cheers:

A lot of this seems pretty humdrum thus far, but it's great for me to remember what I've done and where I was at the time. Pretty nostalgic stuff :)

·
Premium Member
6,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Spring 2008, finally the R-Speed Garage Vary lip group buy comes through. Can't remember how much it was, somewhere between $200 even with the GB. This is back when these were actually a bit "rare" and replicas didn't exist. CR was just starting to go downhill at this point. This would be Garage Vary lip 1 of 2 for me, as seems the case with most people who have owned an original.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
What's with the reference to the Colditz Glider? Building the Miata from some floorboards and bed sheets to escape a pow camp soon? :lol:

·
Motorboat Captain
9,990 Posts
My ADD likes catching build threads in their beginning stages. Especially from esteemed members.

·
Premium Member
6,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What's with the reference to the Colditz Glider? Building the Miata from some floorboards and bed sheets to escape a pow camp soon? :lol:
I've had some good times and some bad times, but it always helps to be out in the country.

My ADD likes catching build threads in their beginning stages. Especially from esteemed members.

·
Premium Member
6,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I changed my first slave cylinder in July 2008. This was the biggest job I had done on a car, ever. Felt pretty good once that was done.

Out in the country, August 2008.

Fall came.

Then winter. I was still on RS-2s at this point, and had driven 40 miles in two inches of fresh powder back home at 4AM. Not my finest moment.

·
Premium Member
6,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^.

January 2009 I made this. Drove back from Minneapolis to Madison after winter break. Held the camera the whole way, squished 2000-some pictures into a video.

Driving into the dark. January 19th, 2009

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yeah, I'm pretty broke now too. Glad to hear that the car is going well now. Reading your post was kind of depressing to be honest LOL

·
Premium Member
6,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Only 2 pics with the hardtop in 2 years, did you not use it much?
I think I drove the car in two winters (not as a DD, but just occasional trips back and forth from WI>MN), so it had the hard top on from late fall>spring. Nowadays since it sits in the garage in the winters, there's really only about a month, maybe a month and a half a year where I put the hard top on. I've toyed with the idea of selling it, but I don't need the cash and the top was the original that came with the car. Keeping the thing whole appeals to me.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Nice WWII reference

1 - 20 of 478 Posts