ClubRoadster.net banner

461 - 480 of 482 Posts

·
Administrator
15,685 Posts

Despite Concealer404's best efforts, I did something pretty dumb this weekend. 93 Touring.. 1 owner, 55k miles. Survived the 600 mile drive home!

I remember when the Pajero was slammed.

I also remember lowering that dude's property values with two different vehicles. Although this was back when Hater didn't suck.

2018-05-08_10-46-59 by concealer404, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
6,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #465 (Edited)

Back to using the car as it was meant to be with Millerchris85. Toasted the LF wheel bearing on the cruise so it sounds like I'll be replacing both fronts. In the off chance that anyone is interested in my Compomotives.. I'll probably be making a change over the winter.

·
Administrator
15,685 Posts
Settle down, i don't think Bronto is available.

·
Premium Member
6,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #469

Fall stuff.

I swear I'm actually going to get the cams installed this winter.. really. The only mechanical work I did on the NA so far this year was replacing that LF wheel bearing. Went with the Centric Premiums.. at the rate I drive it's probably a lifetime part :smile1:

·
CR Troll Patrol
2,786 Posts
That's cute

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
15,685 Posts
Do you need to come visit Ben's Skunkwerks this winter for some work?

·
Premium Member
6,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #473
People need to stop buying RX-7's and making me want one in the process
You're more than welcome to float me an offer.. it'll be for sale in spring :mrgreen:

Do you need to come visit Ben's Skunkwerks this winter for some work?
I need Ben's Junkworks to come to me pls

·
Premium Member
6,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #475 (Edited)

I ended up picking up some 15x8 RPF-1s in SBC last fall & was pretty disappointed with them after mounting, so I sold those almost immediately. Back to the Compomotives for now.

Did end up finally installing my aluminum Nakamae pulls that I picked up forever ago. These are absolutely fantastic.

Last bit of winter buying.. I picked up a Matt Kessler VVT head off RRAX for quite cheap. This already has Supertech heavy doubles, a mild shave, new valves, seals & some portwork done. Just need to drop in the cams and have at it at this point. Also need to swap over my unpainted VVT hardware/etc from the car & get the valve cover powdercoated silver.

The only annoying part about doing the head swap is that it triggers a bunch of work I've been putting off. Supermiata damper install/Gates Racing TB/fluid flush, etc. I hate wet jobs. Also given that I've waited long enough at this point, I'm sorta tempted to grab a 272/272 VVT setup from Maruha instead of the 264s I have lying around.

Decisions..

·
Mufasa in Training
33,363 Posts
What didn't you like about the SBC's? I considered them for a moment (cost was a turn-off).

·
Premium Member
6,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #477
What didn't you like about the SBC's? I considered them for a moment (cost was a turn-off).
Finish didn't match the other chrome stuff (this should have been obvious to me before I ordered them :v). I think on a neutral or darker colored car I might have kept them. Also the 15x8 looks a bit too modern for the vibe of my car imo. If I ever went back to RPF-1s it'd have to be silver 14x7s.

The cost is pretty nuts but I snagged them off eBay during either a 15 or 20% coupon deal so they were about the same cost as a standard set. One other annoying thing -- the included valve stems/caps are blue. Why??

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Glad to see a update, Kent! :) I believe blue valve stems are Enkei's "thing". The set that came with my 14x7 silver RPF1's were blue and believe that is what I have always seen others have. :dunno:

·
Premium Member
6,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #479
Been a while since I've written here. Figure I may as well update the story a bit since the last time. Let's see, what's different.

Time traveling back to summer of 2019, the new Gates water pump I installed when refreshing the VVT motor prior to the swap started weeping. Begrudgingly.. I tore down the front of the engine again to replace the pump, along with the POS (and also leaking!) aftermarket front crank seal that Boundary used on their earlier pumps.

Drove the rest of the summer with no issues. IIRC the only other work I've done on the Miata was front brake pads the summer of 2020, along with replacing the K1-Racing exhaust with a new RB unit just to tone things down a bit. Regret not getting the resonated midpipe now -- it's still a bit too loud for me.

Probably the biggest change was selling every single aftermarket part I hadn't bothered to install up until this point. I finally realized that another 20hp wouldn't make me enjoy the car any more than I do now, so it all went to people who will hopefully use it. I'm all cleared out except for a couple mementos (spare AWD gauges) and an Alterna trunk that I haven't managed to sell yet (please buy!).

Sold the FD on BT Fall 2019. Had a bit of a heart attack dealing with the last couple hours of the auction. The process is not the most friendly, but you do get the best price. Not regretting it overall, and will likely do it again at some point. I miss seeing this car in the garage a good bit. In near-stock form, it was a unique and irreplaceable driving experience, and I'm glad I was able to own one of my bucket list cars. Why sell it then? The paint was junk, (Mazda paint in this era was not great.. at 55k and garage-kept it's whole life, the clear coat was starting to have minor issues),the shift feel was awful thanks to the truck transmission attached to the engine. To make it something I could be happy with and not worry about driving, it would take a fair amount of money and time, and I'd much rather just buy a car with all the work done and more miles so I wouldn't have to think about depreciation/etc. Maybe someday I'll end up in another.

You need some drywall. Welcome back.
This was a great suggestion btw. Thanks!

I was fortunate enough to pick up another toy this last week. 2004 GT3, 55k miles, 2 owners. No real plans for this car besides using it for a fair weather driver/backroads car. I suspect this is the end of my sports car bucket list :)

Lastly Adam777 sold me a sweet bike to fund his even sweeter bike. If the end of last season is any indicator, I'll probably end up with more seat time in this than the cars!

·
(⌐■_■)
2,359 Posts
I was fortunate enough to pick up another toy this last week. 2004 GT3, 55k miles, 2 owners. No real plans for this car besides using it for a fair weather driver/backroads car. I suspect this is the end of my sports car bucket list :)
Nice! I never quite understood all of the weird 996 hate

461 - 480 of 482 Posts