141 - 160 of 199 Posts

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
Alright. Time for the big update:

For those of you that follow me on IG already know I picked up these:

BRIDE Stradia II REIMS Edition.

I had a chance to sit in one of these at Formula Drift in October and have been lusting over them ever sense. When a pair popped up for sale, I jumped on it.

Now to the fun part. There are a number of extra features with the ND seats I had to address, namely:
Bluetooth headrest speakers, seat airbags, and passenger occupancy sensor.

The side impact airbags were just bypassed using a resistor. I might, might not try to come up with a solution to add them back in. I'm not super worried about it though.

Next up, headrest speakers. I bought a pair of 2" speakers off Amazon and 3D printed some pieces to adapt them to the seats:

The REIMS are fully uphostered, so I heat shrinked the wires and ran them down the seat and used bullet pin connectors to attach them to the stock speaker plug. These came out better than expected and work great, better than stock IMO.

Next up, the passenger occupancy sensor:

I took apart the bottom of the passenger seat and slowly pulled it off of the cushion to make sure to remove as little foam as possible. The hardest part was having to cut a retaining ring inside the seat to let the sensor module pull through.

Installed:

I'm very happy with these seats and how the install went. These seats are super comfortable (for someone my size at least) and give the car much more of a "race car" feel.

Like I said, these seats were a pretty big purchase, which means I need to not spend money on my car for a good while. I will be putting some work into my wife's Elantra to do some needed upgrades and some fun things. Let me know if you guys would interested in a thread for that.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
Small update:

As I've been doing some long term testing for MiataRoadster on the development of the short shifter my Voodoo shift knob was no longer cutting it. It was just too light for such a short throw. So I changed it out for:

A Mishimoto weighted shift knob. I wish it had a bit more girth and would sit lower on the shaft, but the weight makes it very easy to go through gears.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
And more progress:

I finished sand, priming, and sanding again before finally moving on to painting:

I did three coats of black and one medium/one heavy coat of clear. As you might be able to see in the picture, the finish came out pretty rough with a good bit of orange peel. I'm working on color sanding and will be moving on to cutting and buffing after. Stay tuned for the final result.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
Color sanding, Commence!

And, Buffing:

And done!

Theres still a few odds and ends left to do and it could stand to have a bit more color sanding and some spots that need to be touched up. In the end though, I'm happy with it for the time being. I still may one day go and get it painted professionally, but there's no substitute for the experience of doing it yourself.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Good going on the Flashforge, much better than a fail...er Makerbot. I recommend making the switch to ABS plastic. It's much better than PLA. Let me know if you do and I can set you up with the process settings I use (you will need kapton tape for the platform). Also, if you aren't running Simplify 3D as a slicer, it's awesome and will cut your printing times way down vs the Flashforge slicer.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
Good going on the Flashforge, much better than a fail...er Makerbot. I recommend making the switch to ABS plastic. It's much better than PLA. Let me know if you do and I can set you up with the process settings I use (you will need kapton tape for the platform). Also, if you aren't running Simplify 3D as a slicer, it's awesome and will cut your printing times way down vs the Flashforge slicer.
If I decide to upgrade, I'll probably go to a resin printer. I haven't been printing a whole to of stuff except miniatures for D&D (I know, nerd).

Aside from that, I've been making small changes to the ND and I'll do a post some time around the end of the year, beginning of the year once I have a few other odds and ends wrapped up. Also, some cosmetic changes will be coming in the start of the new year as I work to get the car "completed".

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
In unrelated news, me and the nerds over at M.net have been discussing options for removable hardtops. This lead me down a rabbit hole of "If I made a hardtop" which eventually lead me to work on some 3D wizardry:

Pipe dream for now, but if I ever have the time/money/space it could be possible

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #159
Looks very Z4 coupe like, which is a good thing in my book.
I was going for somewhere between the 240Z and previous gen M-coupe.

Working on getting together an updated on the car. Unfortunately, the camera on my phone gave out, making it a bit more difficult to do a proper update. Will try to work on it soon though.

141 - 160 of 199 Posts