ClubRoadster.net banner

161 - 180 of 199 Posts

·
100% Jakedashian
7,064 Posts
I almost wonder if you could make a fiberglass replacement for the buttress piece and trunk lid that was more of a traditional fastback hardtop shape.

Looking at this image, there appears to just be four bolts holding that section on, and it operates entirely independently of the actual "targa" panel. Seems like a fiberglass replacement could somewhat easily be created that goes "all the way back", though it would require some effort to keep from being too heavy since there'd be a lot more glass (perspex?) in it.

·
Supporting Member
743 Posts
Damn... if you could make that render a reality & make them available to purchase... I might have to look to add a second Miata to the stable, much to my wife's dismay..

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
What software did you use for the rendering?
SketchUp, All the work is done in SketchUp. I'm working on doing higher quality renders at the moment.

Still looking at options for what I could do as far as a production version. I have some ideas in mind, but don't have the space and capital to do it right now.

·
100% Jakedashian
7,064 Posts
SketchUp, All the work is done in SketchUp. I'm working on doing higher quality renders at the moment.

Still looking at options for what I could do as far as a production version. I have some ideas in mind, but don't have the space and capital to do it right now.
Commission a local shop to CNC a foam buck for you and lay fiberglass over it?

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
Actual Update:

Borrowed my work camera to go and take some photos. Didn't do any major updates after buying the seats/working on the hardtop. Spent the second half of the year working on smaller nitpicks on the car. First up:

Continued to tweak the design of the seat speaker mounting brackets. It's not the most elegant solution, but it works well.

Next Up:

Re-wrapped the shift gate ring and wrapped the steering wheel to cover up the terrible silver colored plastic. Faux-carbon fiber isn't ideal, but it matches the trim on the doors and doesn't show fingerprints and smudges. There's a few bubbles and small spots that need to be fixed, but overall I'm happy with how it came out.

Next:

(Excuse the dirty wheels) Bought the Meister center caps for my wheels. They were super expensive for what they are, which is why I avoided getting them for so long.

That brings us up to this year. This past weekend I installed my first change of the new year:

MazdaSpeed OEM side skirts. These only came on Brembo package cars and I always felt like the profile of the car didn't match with just the front lip (I don't particularly car for the rear lip though).

2019 Plans:
New rear spoiler
Get the hardtop painted (finally)
Get the wheels refinished

Beyond that, I have a few other things I would like to get done, but everything is kind of up in the air as I'm expecting to move again in March. Stay tuned.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
A part finally came in that was ordered at the beginning of February. All the way from the land of... China. So it's not JDM, but it carbon fiber:

CarbonMiata TRD style spoiler.
I'm sure I'm going to get some flack that I didn't buy the authentic JDM piece, but at the same time this is a non-functional piece, so I care not.
Fit & finish I would give an 8.5 out of 10. A few not completely straight edges and the mating surface is slightly too curved, but the finish looks great. The carbon weave is very consistent and the top coat is super smooth with only a few tiny imperfections.

Installation
First, the stock lip spoiler had to come off:

After a bit of wax and grease remover and some isopropyl alcohol:

And Finally, attached:

A few notes about the installation, I found that the supplied 3M double sided tape was not enough and had to add some super strong stuff I had on hand. Also, I am most likely going to add some rivnuts and bolt it on since the holes are already drilled for the stock spoiler.

Now all that's left is getting some stuff painted and refurbished and then I can call the exterior done.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #178
Wrap your ND in saran wrap, grab some foam and fiberglass and get to work son.
So uh, yea. This is actually looking like what is going to end up happening. So small update, no new parts, yet. I've been slowing down on this "build" to mainly enjoy the car and make some future plans.

First up, I was planning on waiting to do more updates until after I send the wheels off to get refinished, but Redline Leather was having their bi-annual sale. I've been wanting to wrap the center console in leather to 1. help give the car a more "premium" feel (OEM+) & 2. prevent the plastic chaffing my elbows now that it's T-shirt weather again. So those are in the mail.

Next up, I am proceeding with the plan to make my own hardtop. I've begun working slowly and somewhat methodically on tearing down the DG hardtop to use as a donor. I'm hoping to do most of the work throughout the summer and already have a company lined up to make "production" hardtops.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #179
Leather bits are on their way, in the meantime, I started playing with some accents pieces on the car. First up, I got some yellow film for the DRL's for a little bit of touring car inspiration:

Next, added some yellow cord on the bottom of the steering wheel to add some color and cover up an uneven section of the wrap:

Lastly, started working on the hardtop, I have another thread on M.net where most of the ND people are. You can follow updates here.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #180
Small update. Leather interior bits came in:

Keeping with the OEM+ I wanted to cover the hard plastics that are the center console. The install was fairly straightforward. I used spray adhesive and slowly pulled and massaged the leather into place.

Back together:

The leather is much nicer to the touch than the plastic was. I have a plan to replace the pleather shift and e-brake boots as well, but that will be part of a more involved makeover interior plan I have for the future.

161 - 180 of 199 Posts