ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Candy ass miata man
3,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so my computer broke months ago, friend said it was a HD and so I bought a HD...well went to turn it on for first time in months and my screen looks like the matrix (the gateway loading screen where it says boot menu and bios settings), has lines going down it and the keyboard and mouse DO NOT WORK so I cannot go into bios. I found this weird so put the old HD in and same thing happened.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Motherboard/video card is trashed.
laptop? Onboard video is hosed. If you have a spare video card lying around. You can confirm this by dropping an external video card in if it's a normal PC. Laptops (some are swapable).

Agree with brontosaurus. Looks like the onboard video card is dying, it's more common on laptops, but can happen to home PC's if they are kept clean & cool(under a desk).

·
Registered
638 Posts
forgot to mention - some bios require force toggle to external video card if it's over 2 years old.. newer models will auto recognize.. but even some of those have to be selected in the bios.

In short. Can't get to bios you might be SOL. New Board.

·
Candy ass miata man
3,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Motherboard/video card is trashed.
I hope that wasnt the original problem and I bought a harddrive for nothing. Before I bought harddrive months ago after problem happened I was able to get into bios and everything no issues like what I am having it just happened when I went to install.

My computer was in the trunk of my car and was prob getting shaken pretty hard with PA shitty roads and coils, think that could be the issue?

hard drive has to be formatted. did you start it with an OS disk in the cdrom? is everything plugged in right?
I cant reformat it because I cant click or do anything.

laptop? Onboard video is hosed. If you have a spare video card lying around. You can confirm this by dropping an external video card in if it's a normal PC. Laptops (some are swapable).

Agree with brontosaurus. Looks like the onboard video card is dying, it's more common on laptops, but can happen to home PC's if they are kept clean & cool(under a desk).
Sorry its a desktop, I do not have any spare video cards :p

forgot to mention - some bios require force toggle to external video card if it's over 2 years old.. newer models will auto recognize.. but even some of those have to be selected in the bios.

In short. Can't get to bios you might be SOL. New Board.
How much are new boards? I just spend $90 on a HD and I would rather spend $ on my car so dont feel like fixing this if its going to be exspensive.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Okay so my computer broke months ago, friend said it was a HD and so I bought a HD...well went to turn it on for first time in months and my screen looks like the matrix (the gateway loading screen where it says boot menu and bios settings), has lines going down it and the keyboard and mouse DO NOT WORK so I cannot go into bios. I found this weird so put the old HD in and same thing happened.
gateway still makes computers?
imho, if that thing is a couple years old, you're better off getting a new system. or at the bare minimum, updating it.

·
Candy ass miata man
3,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nvm he couldnt fix cuz his stuff wouldnt work with it or something once I gave him my model #.

I hate a gateway gt5654 does anyone know whats the cheapest motherboard I could buy that will work and I WILL NOT need to buy anything else. That is IF you guys think its for sure motherboard:p

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Buy an older machine. You can get a used Dell Dimension E520, Dimension 9200, or XPS 410 for dirt cheap on Craig's List. Then you swap out the drive & reformat. Later on you can get a used Intel X6800 Extreme Duo, Q6600 Quad, Q6700 Quad, or even a QX6800 Extreme Quad CPU for cheap on eBay & still have a decent PC for a long while.

·
Banned
607 Posts
NO...

if it's too old, you might actually have trouble looking for compatible parts, and they won't perform as well modern parts the same cost.

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Nope buying a used/new computer will be much cheaper and much better for your sanity than trying to fix/rebuild an older computer.

The trouble(s) with replacing parts on a pre-made PC is that it'll take much more online research (for hardware compatibility).

Check Craigslist for super cheap computers. Just type in keywords such as: broken, cracked, used, scratched, etc.
Case in point:

·
red?
1,239 Posts
Did you check to make sure that the video card is completely connected to the PCI-E or AGP slot, and if it's a PCI-E card, that the power card is connected to the PCI-E connector from the power supply. If the video is onboard, the mobo is bad.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Wouldnt it just be easier/cheaper to fix my computer rather than buying a new one?
What the guys above already said.

Here are some easy to upgrade machines on eBay for somewhat cheap.

Dell Dimension E520

Dell Dimension 9200

Dell XPS 410

With the latest BIOS update from Dell, all of them can be upgraded to Intel:

• Q6700 Quad
  • QX6700 Quad Extreme
  • X6800 Duo Extreme
  • QX6800 Quad Extreme (Most powerful CPU for these machines)

They can all take up to 8 GB of PC6400 RAM when using a 64 bit operating system. They can still do quite a lot of stuff & with an upgraded video card, you can even play a lot of the newer games at almost full resolution. They're not as fast as some of newer Intel i5 & most i7 based machines, but they will still blow you away, especially when you look at the final cost. :D

·
Supporting Member
1,755 Posts
Buy a Mac and you won't have these problems ;)

But in all seriousness, just buy a used, good computer and you will be much more sane and able to do what you need to do. You already lost all your documents when you changed HD's, might as well get something more up to speed and just sell that one for parts to someone who may need it.

·
Candy ass miata man
3,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nope buying a used/new computer will be much cheaper and much better for your sanity than trying to fix/rebuild an older computer.

The trouble(s) with replacing parts on a pre-made PC is that it'll take much more online research (for hardware compatibility).

Check Craigslist for super cheap computers. Just type in keywords such as: broken, cracked, used, scratched, etc.
Case in point:
I would like to keep it a desktop if possible, I dont know ANYTHING about computers could you guys look on craigslist for deals in pittsburgh area? I would really appreciate it

Did you check to make sure that the video card is completely connected to the PCI-E or AGP slot, and if it's a PCI-E card, that the power card is connected to the PCI-E connector from the power supply. If the video is onboard, the mobo is bad.
Idk what any of that even means, my knowledge on computer is like a 90 year old grandpa, I use them but dont know anything "under the hood". If you post up a picture I can look for it in my thing and see if I see anything loose.

What the guys above already said.

Here are some easy to upgrade machines on eBay for somewhat cheap.

Dell Dimension E520

Dell Dimension 9200

Dell XPS 410

With the latest BIOS update from Dell, all of them can be upgraded to Intel:

• Q6700 Quad
  • QX6700 Quad Extreme
  • X6800 Duo Extreme
  • QX6800 Quad Extreme (Most powerful CPU for these machines)

They can all take up to 8 GB of PC6400 RAM when using a 64 bit operating system. They can still do quite a lot of stuff & with an upgraded video card, you can even play a lot of the newer games at almost full resolution. They're not as fast as some of newer Intel i5 & most i7 based machines, but they will still blow you away, especially when you look at the final cost. :D
Which one of those would you suggest? I would like a desktop, I need it to edit videos and pictures and thats it!:]

1 - 20 of 119 Posts