ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
I'm a little teapot
5,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Computer abruptly shuts down: Odd
Restart Computer: Windows fails to load ... Uh oh.
Restart Computer: Go into startup repair mode. (tells me it's fixed and to restart)
Restart Computer: Go into safe mode with networking ... No dice

A1=RAGE!

Is this the cause of corrupt driver or boot file? I can access repair mode, but I can't seem to get windows to start.

·
I'm a little teapot
5,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i'v had a few nasty comp. virus' that caused that. safe mode it then download spybot: search and destroy with teatimer and that should clear it up.......if its a virus
I can't even get windows to load in safemode. the last driver to load is an AVG driver ... then the whole thing just sits there and doesn't continue to load.

·
I'm a little teapot
5,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
did you recently delete any files at all? avg can take over a bit if it doesnt have all its files to govern where its reign of terror has to end.
Not AVG files. If I have to pull the drive and reinstall Windows, I will, I'm just trying to avoid the hassle.

·
I'm a little teapot
5,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
what exactly fails to load? any more details?
I get the windows boot animation and it just stays there. when booting in safe mode I get the list of drivers that load and it simply stops and I have that little "please wait..." taunting me at the bottom of the screen.

I have access to repair mode but ....

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
When you turn on your computer (the one with the problem), listen for any clicking or irregular noises. If you hear something odd, your hard drive could be dying.

If you have a spare computer (desktop), then put your hard drive (the one that has the problem) into your other computer and back up your important files.

If your system/boot up files are corrupted, just reinstall your OS without deleting or altering your partitions. That way, you keep all your files and programs. However, you'll have to update your OS via the web.

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
Was the start up repair done with the disk in? I've had luck with repairing from disk before.

Sometimes virus software can delete directory files when chasing a bug.

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
When you turn on your computer (the one with the problem), listen for any clicking or irregular noises. If you hear something odd, your hard drive could be dying.

If you have a spare computer (desktop), then put your hard drive (the one that has the problem) into your other computer and back up your important files.
I've also had this problem corrected with a new hard drive. Those old raptors don't last long.

How old is your HDD A1? They all eventually fail.

·
Supporting Member
1,529 Posts
If your computer shut off abruptly with no warning and you had to physically turn it back on, id do what H_C said and quickly take the HD out and use it as a secondary HD on another computer and start saving your stuff. this sounds like a hardware issue. Also, it may also be possible that you actually have a faulty psu and it made your harddrive defective while at it. determining which one is broken is if it breaks another harddrive... good luck.

your best bet however is repairing it through a windows CD.

·
Supporting Member
1,529 Posts
think of this as an opportunity to upgrade your computer. if you have a 5400 rpm harddrive then you NEED to at least get a 7200 rpm harddrive. i swear to god it makes a worldly amount of difference. or you can try out those new revo hybrid drives. :p

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Usually, the pre-made PCs have the worst hard drives and power supplies.
I consider those disposable, temporary usable PCs that shouldn't be purchased or used if at all possible.

If money is an issue, get a cheap Netbook and a large capacity thumb drive. Don't bother upgrading a pre-made PC. It'll be a money pit.

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
Well if it's a new hard drive atleast for $50 at microcenter, frys, or newegg you will have a much better drive. They've become decently cheap.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts