ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm a new member to this website, but i've been trying to troubleshoot a problem with my 1994 Mazda Miata. What's wrong is that there is a constant rattle that is dull at high rpms in first gear, but becomes more apparent in higher gears, no matter what rpms. I have ruled out that it is a heat shield, because i removed the heat shield over the exhaust manifold and the rattling continued. Could it possibly be an EGR problem? Or a crack in the headers? I honestly think it's the headers but I hope it isn't... don't want to spend too much money.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
First, welcome! Second, any prior issues with the car that you are willing to share as it might be related? Also, have you tried revving the car while parked? If so then try and just modulate the throttle via the engine bay and see if you can better pin-point the general direction. If it's only apparent while in motion are you sure that it's rev-dependent or speed dependent?

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
winlowe, handballallday and I say welcome to the Club, I had a rattle for a bit that changed with rpms, it turned out to be the plastic shield under the front of the car below the radiator, some screws had wiggled out.

·
Registered
11,684 Posts
On my first NA, the hood hinge on the driver's side rattled. It was the hardest thing to nail down. Sometimes it sounded like an interior rattle, other times it was in the engine bay. It was usually more apparent when driving at speed vs just creeping around. When I built up the little rubber hood... thing at the back of the engine bay right by that hinge, the rattles stopped.

You might scrutinize things like that. It might seem like an engine rattle but actually be something totally different.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts

·
Murse Magnet
7,182 Posts
The exhaust manifold and exhaust itself has so many different pieces of shielding that constantly break spot welds and rattle. My vote is it is exhaust related and probably a small rock stuck between your shield and exhaust that is rattling.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts