ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm sure this a ridiculous question but here it goes. Has any one done a power window to manual window swap? I found the wright up but like always pictures would be helpful.
http://www.miata.net/garage/power2manual.html I'm thinking of doing this to both my windows considering the previous owner mickey moused the windows shut and I'm sure both regulators don't work. More info would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
748 Posts
Either subbing or doing. I am interested also.

·
Registered
158 Posts
haven't done a power to manual, but I've done a manual to manual (just replaced the manual regulators) and a manual to power (also replacing manual regulators with power regulators). Actually a pretty easy job, except for the sticky black adhesive for the door plastic. Everything else is pretty straight forward. In fact, I have basically new manual window regulators and all parts needed for the power to manual swap if you are interested

·
Registered
626 Posts
damn, if the regulators worked we could have swapped parts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
haven't done a power to manual, but I've done a manual to manual (just replaced the manual regulators) and a manual to power (also replacing manual regulators with power regulators). Actually a pretty easy job, except for the sticky black adhesive for the door plastic. Everything else is pretty straight forward. In fact, I have basically new manual window regulators and all parts needed for the power to manual swap if you are interested
Sweet! I figured it would be an easy job. As for the manual parts pm. thanks!

·
Registered
363 Posts
I've done it. Manual install is a breeze, getting the powered assembly out is annoying if you're trying to keep it intact, easy if you snip the wires.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've done it. Manual install is a breeze, getting the powered assembly out is annoying if you're trying to keep it intact, easy if you snip the wires.
That's what I was thinking of doing since the drivers side is just ziptied so the window does't fall. What did you end up doing with the window buttons in the center console? I just don't want to have a random whole there. I like everything to be in one piece..I'm OCD like that..lol

·
Registered
25 Posts
I went power to manual last year. It was easy except for the black gooey crap all over the place. I went with a shorty console (w/o window switches) in place of the original. Nothing wrong with the power one's, I just want a more simple car. Cruise is now gone, A/C and pwr steering are next.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have done the power to manual conversion. I don't have any pictures of the process, but it was really really easy. Other handles (Are you talking about the ones on ebay?) should fit, as long as they're made for the miata. the most annoying part was taking the clip out between the manual handle and door card.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I went power to manual last year. It was easy except for the black gooey crap all over the place. I went with a shorty console (w/o window switches) in place of the original. Nothing wrong with the power one's, I just want a more simple car. Cruise is now gone, A/C and pwr steering are next.
Simple is best! I would have to agree with that. I myself have no A/C in my car but as far as power steering goes I still want to keep that in. It's just a personal preference.
I'm pretty stoked to get this done and switch everything the proper way.

I have done the power to manual conversion. I don't have any pictures of the process, but it was really really easy. Other handles (Are you talking about the ones on ebay?) should fit, as long as they're made for the miata. the most annoying part was taking the clip out between the manual handle and door card.
Rad! How long did the whole ordeal take you?
As for the handles I was wondering if there where any nice ones out there oem( from different manufactures) or aftermarket handles that swap in? I looked on Ebay but they're stock miata handles. Nothing wrong with that but a little styling would be sweet!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Manual to Power Window Conversion!

Here is a tutorial to do the manual to power. Excellent write up with lots of pics. Although not exactly what youre looking for. You can use this as a reference since it covers removal and installation of regulators.
Thanks! It's funny this was one of the 1st threads I look at before I posted this one up.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Manual to Power Window Conversion!

Here is a tutorial to do the manual to power. Excellent write up with lots of pics. Although not exactly what youre looking for. You can use this as a reference since it covers removal and installation of regulators.
I'm not a fan of that handle, but that's just me. I actually used this link as a reference. It took me about 2 hours, but that's because my manual regulator broke so I had to head off to the junk yard to look for another one. the whole project is super simple and I'd say should take no longer than an hour or so.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The pic of the handle was just used as a reference either way. I think it's time to head to the junk yard this weekend to start collecting pieces for this project. What junk yard did you end up going in Socal?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts