ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,

Today was supposed to be my first event in the Miata, well on the way I stopped to get my gf and smoke was coming out of the hood. I popped it and found a coolant leak in the back of the motor somewhere.

Recently in the week I had another leak from a hose up front where a screw had burnt through it, causing a small leak. I fixed that by putting a new hose on, and it ran fine. I drove it about 150 miles, some hard, some not, no problems.

I cannot see where the leak today is coming from. The overflow is dry, no pressure in the radiator, but if there is a leak there wont be right? I drove it home after putting more coolant in it and it runs fine, no smoke from exhaust, and it does not even overheat. But when I got home (bout 20 miles maybe more) overflow was dry. It has not gone higher then usual, but obviously it will if I keep driving it with a leak lol.

I looked in the Haynes book and saw there are two sensors back there? Could they leak? It is a pretty good leak, it leaves a puddle under the car.

Car warms up fine as well I read sometimes the time it takes to warm up could be a t-stat issue?

Anyway, what to check? I am VERY upset I missed the event today after looking forward to it for months. Not a good day I am hoping it is not a major problem and I can get it running good again, and register for something else asap.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Simon

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
it could be a heater hose that has burst do to oil leaking on it. I believe there is also a coolant plug around the CAS back there. A flashlight and a mirror might help you out.

·
CR.net Supporter
1,390 Posts
there is a cap that goes over an unused nipple on the back of the motor. that is most likely your culprit.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Usually there are only a few places where the coolant leaks from that area. I would just get in there with a flashlight and maybe have the car running to see where it's coming from.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just took the cap off to change that first, it was hard as a rock and cracked looking. I HAVE to get a Mazda one? Any idea what the cap is called, or how much? Thanks!

Simon

1 - 8 of 8 Posts