ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok folks, here it is.

I have a coolant leak. It's slow, apparently. A few months back, I filled up the coolant reservoir. Yesterday, the check engine light came on and the reservoir was empty. The car doesn't leave any drippity drops so I figure the radioator is probably not cracked. I suspect it's the hoses (did not replace when I bought the car early summer of '06).

So my question is, what do I do? What should I check for when I get home? Should I go down to my local Kragen and tell them I need to replace all my coolant hoses? And then will they be able to tell me which hoses I need and buy?

Thanks folks!

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well find the leak first before dropping cash and doing work you dont need to do.
there was nothing visible from the top, and the hoses all looked relatively new. what exactly am i looking for, other than cracks or something in the hoses? are there certain tell-tale signs of a leak at a specific point?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Do a pressure test. If you have a friend with the tool, borrow it. If not, buy one. Pump it up to like 20 lbs. and let it sit. Measure the length of time and how much the pressure drops. Then check every where for wetness.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do a pressure test. If you have a friend with the tool, borrow it. If not, buy one. Pump it up to like 20 lbs. and let it sit. Measure the length of time and how much the pressure drops. Then check every where for wetness.
cool. what is the tool called and what does it look like? thanks!

ps. please excuse my ignorance. :)

·
Registered
517 Posts
I believe its called a cooling system pressure tester.

Check around where hoses connect to nipples. Check for loose hose clamps and look for cracks. Hoses usually break down and leak from the ends first. Don't forget to check the small coolant hoses too.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Endless got the name right.

And they look like this:

http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/sta12270.html

And as Endless said check the clamps. Stock spring type clamps can lose tention over time. Sometimes enough to let coolant/water by under pressure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts