ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

A few people have asked if we can make our Precision Series 1.1 Engine Plug Cover work with Coil On Plug setups. Greasemonkey2000 on M.net took it upon himself to purchase a Fab9 setup and have it shipped to Project-G for us to prototype off of. Here is what we came up with.

Depending on the interest, we will be offering this as an option.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
I guess for the sake of clarity is fitment only been established with the Fab9 COP or stock NB2 COP's as well? :dunno:

·
Supporting Member
1,543 Posts
Very interested. I really like this setup. Would purchase for my Fab9 COP system.

I see you have the connectors facing backwards... Any reason for this? Or just the way it was designed.

Edit*

Do these do any extra "holding down" of the COP, and what does it bolt down to?

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For some reason I thought this question was posted on FB and then disappeared.

Actually, I feel Fab9 had it set up in the opposite direction to accommodate some of the other valve covers such as the NB2. At least to my eye, there are a couple reasons why they are orientated the way my sample is. If you follow the natural orientation of the conventional spark plug wires, they run in the direction they are shown. Also, I didn't feel it was right to be looking into the bottom of the connector. Last, I had 3 people here who placed them on our display engine with no clue as to what I was doing. Each of them placed them in the orientation shown.

I don't think I would call it backward, just a different orientation since there is no difference in functionality. I had even considered kicking them at about a 30 degree angle, but in the end, it's just not my style.

The Plug Cover does not hold the COPS, it just has provisions for them since there was a request for both products to work together. It turns out we are huge fans of the results. The cover itself is secured the same way as our other standard Precision Series 1.1 Engine Plug Cover.

More info here:
http://clubroadster.net/vb_forum/85-junior-sponsors/136833-2014-group-buy-precision-series-1-1-engine-plug-cover.html

NB2 is in the works. :mrgreen:

·
Supporting Member
1,543 Posts
Hey, if that's how you designed them it's cool. Just curious is all.

As it's just for looks i don't think i'll buy one. Let me know if they are revised to hold down the coil at all.

·
Cr.net is addicting
2,081 Posts
Hmmm thus is interesting because I have to brackets and both face the plugs towards the rear of the engine . Is it possible to flip the cover so it could work with those set ups . I can't recall who made either bracket because it's been over 2 years since I picked them up.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmmm thus is interesting because I have to brackets and both face the plugs towards the rear of the engine . Is it possible to flip the cover so it could work with those set ups . I can't recall who made either bracket because it's been over 2 years since I picked them up.
No, it can't be flipped, but I can cut them the other way if that's what people would think looks correct. I can't think of a functional reason to orientate them the other way and would be interested in why.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
I'm with you Steve, unless there is a functional reason why the connector should be faced to the front of the motor then leave it be because they look better like this IMO. :icon_cheers:

·
Registered
275 Posts
One that would be able to be secured to an NB2/MSM valve cover would be great. I have the Fab9 COP system on an MSM and it would make a nice addition. I don't fell strongly one way or another how you orient the holes. The MSM's require that the COP from Fab9 be shaved down particularly on cylinder 3 as the hole is slightly narrowed due to the red powder coating. A cover that bolts down using the old coil pack threads would add a level of coverage and possibly stability to the COPs, although the fitment is really tight.

·
Cr.net is addicting
2,081 Posts
I can't speak for others but I know my 2 brackets won't fit on the vc if I flipped it. The only difference in my 2 brackets is one turns the plugs to the left on a 30* and the other is straight back . No advantage or disadvantages I could see . For me the one that goes straight back makes it easier to hide the wires.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Hopefully yall don't mind me sharing some pictures...

After A LOT of hard work and persistence on the part of Steve aka Risingsun124 and the folks @ Project-G I finally received the first Project-G COP engine plug cover! I opted for a non etched machine finish, along with a Project-G 1.1 Series oil cap in the same finish. I really can't say how much I appreciate Steve and everyone else at Project-G for taking on this project when they have so much going on. Also, thanks to Bryan with Fab9 on getting my order out ASAP and sending to Project-G for test fitting, now for pictures!

Project-G Precision Series COP engine plug cover, Project-G Precision Series 1.1 oil cap, fitted on valve cover:

w/ famous Stoly ;)oem Mazda chrome bolts:
:smile9::smile9::smile9::smile9::smile9:

·
Supporting Member
3,007 Posts
That looks so good I want one of these soon I just need help detailing and coordinating my engine bay.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Not sure where they are with production, to my knowledge I'm the only with one yet. :icon_cheers: Steve and the guys stay busy but hopefully they start mass production because they put a lot of effort into the project when they had a lot going on.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts