ClubRoadster.net banner

341 - 360 of 394 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #342 (Edited)
Big milestone today! With the help of a friend and my brother we got the engine installed! It is running good, but still needs a tune by someone much more knowledgeable than me! I am very excited about how it has turned out. I was amazed by how much different it sounds than the old engine! Can't wait to get it tuned now so I can really put it through it's paces!

Anyone heard of vodka washed headers? It works!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #344 (Edited)
Looks beautiful! Love the cf intake!!! :icon_cheers:
Thanks!

I had to lower my radiator for the hood to close. I assume the intake is designed around a stock radiator. But after lowering it 3/4" the hood closes with room to spare.

Then I opened up the hole in the radiator support with a grinder so the intake wouldn't scrub on the edge of the metal. Also split a piece of vacuum hose and stuck it on the edge as well for more protection.

All done and now the hood closes and latches! Please ignore the paint deteriorating on my hood. XD

Next up Aerocatch Hood Latches/Pins!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #346 (Edited)
How did you lower the radiator?
I drilled 4 new holes (2 each side) 3/4" lower on the mounting brackets. You can see here where the old hole is and the new hole underneath being used for the mount.

The lower hole ended up behind the pin so I had to shave down the bolt heads to fit behind the pin. Worked great though!

Finished up mounting my Aerocatch hood pins as well!

After the pins were done, I was finally able to put the bumper back on so the car looks complete again!

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Nice work sir! Those hood latches keep the hood from moving at speed so much better than the stock latch.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #348
Nice work sir! Those hood latches keep the hood from moving at speed so much better than the stock latch.
Thanks! I noticed that on the first drive also.

Since the stock hood prop can no longer lay across the front of the engine bay due to the JoeFis intake, I rigged up a hood prop from a Honda Civic. Used the stock clip and a couple pieces of scrap aluminum. Simple easy, nearly free. I like it!

I need to get rid of that ugly rad overflow tank for something more ascetically pleasing!

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Needs hood struts, makes working under the hood much easier. You will wonder how you ever got by without them. :)

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #350
Trying to figure out if it is possible to stop the header from knocking on the body/transmission tunnel without taking the header out. I haven't been successful. Looks like the header might have to come out so I can bash in the edge of the tunnel a bit.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #352
Did some DIY radiator shrouds this weekend with some aluminum I had laying around. I thought about buying a Garage Star radiator panel and cutting it to fit around the intake, but after looking at pics of them and since my radiator is dropped 3/4" I don't think it would have sealed across the top. So here is what I came up with.

I never liked the look of the rubber seals that came with the FM dual fan shroud. Plus I didn't do a very good job cutting them, so that made them look worse. I bent a 90* aluminum panel to fit over the back side of the shroud/radiator. Before & After.

Next is the radiator panel to seal up the huge hole where the hood latch used to be. This will help direct more air through he radiator instead of following the path of least resistance and flowing up into the engine bay pressurizing the bay. Both shrouds have a strip of BBQ smoker seal along the the bottom edge that sits on top of the radiator. I think it turned out well!

Will be building shrouds/ducting inside the bumper in conjunction with a splitter soon. Interesting read on Miata Turbo on track car cooling. May change my fan setup to a single fan without the FM shroud as it becomes more and more track oriented. I want to keep it streetable as long as possible though. It's too much fun to drive to meets/shows or just for a fun drive on the back roads! https://www.miataturbo.net/race-prep-75/miata-cooling-system-thread-79930/

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #353
Finally stopped the header from rattling against the transmission tunnel. Had to pull the header out and "massage" the metal back a bit. Pneumatic hammer made quick work of it!

1200 miles on the new engine and all is well! Track day soon!!

·
Mufasa in Training
32,350 Posts
Did you use the same aluminum for the shroud and the rear cover? Where'd you find it?

·
Mufasa in Training
32,350 Posts
Not dumb at all. To get the first main rectangle shape needed I use a table saw. For the curved cuts and smaller cuts use tin snips. Metal hole saw in a drill for the round hole in the radiator panel.
Thanks! I'm somewhat inspired to make a shroud for mine. Got a big ol' radiator and now a big ol' gap:

20180709_235943 by Bryan Wyatt, on Flickr

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #359
Finally got around to painting my hardtop. First I had to remove the crappy plati-dip I did years ago.

So after a little work I was back to the worst Miata/hardtop color combination ever!

Scuffed the paint with scotchbrite pads

And sprayed the color. I am not completely happy with how it turned out. I couldn't get the gun to act right so the paint is orange peeled and I got a couple of runs. I'll color sand and buff to make it look better next weekend. I did a better job on the engine bay! LOL! I really like the look of a color matched hard top. I should have done this sooner!

341 - 360 of 394 Posts