ClubRoadster.net banner

361 - 380 of 394 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #366
This build thread is the only reason I check CR anymore. Thanks for building a cool car!
:icon_cheers: Wow! Thanks! It's really cool to hear that people like the car and the work I have put in to it. I am sure it will always be a work in progress, but I really like where it is right now and I'll get to test it out on September 21st at Talladega Gran Prix Raceway and hopefully again at Barber in November!

I have big plans for the car, but in the near future it will get brakes before TGPR and it could use some better coilovers soon as well.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #367
I did a little work in the charging system after it started acting up recently. Was actually overcharging so I assume it was the internal voltage regulator going out. I replaced it with new 80 amp alternator, slight upgrade from the OEM 70amp. Once the alternator was functioning properly I also found that the battery wasn't holding a very good charge. The car was cranking fine, but the battery wouldn't hold more than 11 volts. SO...I replaced that also! I picked up a Duralast Gold ETX16 AGM Powersports battery. I had to used a set of post adapters as the power sports batteries have threaded terminals for bolts. This battery is also 10 POUNDS lighter than the stock size!

I had thoughts of going with a lithium ion battery for a 23 pound lighter battery, but considering the RR corner is the lightest corner of the miata I didn't want to remove all of that weight.

Along the lines of weight savings I also did some trimming on the insides of my doors. Removed 3.25 lbs total. So a 13.25 lb total weight savings this weekend isn't bad! I know it doesn't sound like much, but ozs add up to lbs. I have some other ideas on shaving a bit more weight. Carpet, some wiring, eventually light weight seats, etc.

Next up: upgraded brakes more suited for the track! New rotors and Hawk HP Plus pads going on before the Sept 21st track day.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I've been thinking about how to remove some weight from my car without going full track car. I like the half gutted door idea.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #369
Changed up my door panels a bit. I made a solid set without the stock speaker panels. Much cleaner look and got rid of the rattle coming from the stock speaker panels. This time I used rivnuts and M6 bolts to hold the panels on instead of the plastic rivets and only used 6 points to mount instead of 10. I love it!

Before & After

Talladega Gran Prix track day next weekend! Sept 21st! Last time there was on the 250k engine, 200tw Falken Azenis tires and stock brakes. This time, new engine, 100tw Nitto NT01s and Hawk HP+ brakes! Lets see if I can better my 1:17.8 lap time!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #372
Wow, what a great looking car. Clean and nice choice of aftermarked parts, there are hours behind the good looking modifications as well :D
Thank you! :icon_cheers: Yes, many hours of work and thought goes into tastefully modding a car for a purpose. I have had a lot of fun with this car! Now for more driver mod/seat time!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #375
Might be one of the cleanest track builds I have ever seen; hats off!
Thank you! That's been the idea and direction behind the car since the beginning. Track focused, but not a track rat! I bought the car because I wanted something to track, but I also like that it looks right at home at a car show.

The internet hides a lot of flaws too! The car needs a paint job bad! That's a long way off though. First I have plans for seats/harnesses, Xidas, Suspension Bushings and Aero. I am also having mad thoughts about 4AGE ITBs! :haiguyths:

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #376
The track day at TGPR on Sept 21st was a huge success after all of the recent upgrades! New engine, stickier tires (NT01) and better brakes (Hawk HP+) helped me run over 3 seconds faster than my first track day there! 1:17.85 vs 1:14.47!

TGPR has started holding 3 or 4 open track days every month! It's a great way to gain some experience and work on your driving skills at a reasonable price, only $160/day. I may be going back on Oct 12th! : 3gears:

Here is the fast lap

I developed an exhaust leak at one of the cat flanges. I'll be replacing the gaskets with better multi layer stainless gaskets from Grimmspeed. I hope these will take care of the problem.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #377
I recently found local guy giving away some random parts. Included was a set of NA tail lights that were in good condition. The lights on my car are full of tiny little cracks all over the lenses. I picked up the free set and went to work. First wet sanding in progressive steps (320-400-600-800-1000-2000-4000-6000-12000grit). After my arm recovered from this I used a power polisher in two stages, 3M rubbing compound and a 3M polishing compound. Then finished it off with a good coat of carnauba wax. They turned out amazing!

I will install them tomorrow and post a picture of what they are replacing.

BTW, Not sure I like the new layout of this site. Maybe it will just take some getting used to.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #379
The first radio delete I made for my car I wrapped in Alcantara that was left over from the dash wrap. I finally found the remaining scrap Alcantara and wrapped the new gauge panel. I plan to do the same to my lower door panels sometime soon!

I don't think anyone is reading CR anymore, but I'll try to keep this thread going as long as the forum is active. :whistle:

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #380
Ohh yeah and I am going to be replacing my water pump this weekend because the Gates I installed with the new engine is already on its way out. Bearings are making not so nice noises. But while I am at it this little beauty is going on too! :cool:

361 - 380 of 394 Posts