ClubRoadster.net banner

61 - 80 of 394 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Re: cosmiccharlie's 96 NA Street/Track rest-build

Your car is making me miss my 90 Classic Red NA. It looks like your doing a great job!

I also got screwed by the auto correct in my build thread title, so I feel your pain lol

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #64

So I got new diff oil in, but no bueno on the transmission oil. I couldn't get the fill plug loose on the tranny!! I don't understand why anyone would put so much torque on the fill plug. I can't get the car high enough to get a decent length of cheater bar on it. I need a garage with a lift...

·
Registered
75 Posts

Try a 16mm 12 point socket over the square fill plug.
It really helps give you some leverage without the rocking.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #67

That sucks... I hope you didn't drain it before you tried loosening the fill plug?
No, I tried the fill plug first.

Try a 16mm 12 point socket over the square fill plug.
It really helps give you some leverage without the rocking.
I will try that. Thanks!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #72 (Edited)

A while back I ordered a set of "leatherette" seat covers from autotopsdirect.com through eBay. I realized that the bottom portion of the new seat covers are made for the miata seats where the center section juts out. The seats in my car are the version that are flat across the front. Instead of send the covers back I decided to see if i could find the correct seat foam. I found a good passenger side foam in the car I pulled all of the body panels from. Unfortunetly someone had already taken the drivers side.

The seat covers went on fairly easily and look really good! I am really happy with it! Now I am searching for a drivers side foam. The drivers side is still available new from mazda, but at $180 it's more than I want to spend. I'll eventually put in a racing seats, but that won't be until after I finish building/replacing what is needed on the chassis and building a new motor. So on to the pics.

Rusty seat pan

Much better!

And all done!

Still haven't been successful in removing the transmission fill plug. I don't have a way to get the car up high enough to get a cheater bar on the wrench for extra leverage. Trying to find someone in town that will let me use a lift for a few minutes.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #75 (Edited)

I love brand new emblems!! However, they will be hidden away in a box until I get the car painted. :dunno:

And how does a crack like this appear overnight??!! Anybody have a nice NA8 dash laying around? Or maybe an NA6? Does the NA6 dash hold up better over time? If there is one thing that drives me crazy in my cars, it's a cracked dash!

***I can't find this picture of my awful original NA8 dash. It was ruined!***

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #76 (Edited)

I found a solution for my cracked dash that was getting increasingly worse every day.

Minty fresh 1.6 dash!!

Then I immediately took it completely apart. My plan is to cover the upper portion of the dash in black Alcantara! I'll need a to find a tombstone and gauge hood, but I was really pumped to find the dash locally.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #77 (Edited)

I was reading on revlimiter's website about his 1.6 dash swap in Sharka a few days ago. He used brake fluid to clean the dash. I have never heard about using brake fluid to clean plastic. I was skeptical. I've seen old cars severely corroded and paint stripped off under the brake booster because of leaking fluid. If brake fluid will strip paint from steel I thought it would do worse things to plastic! But I couldn't argue with the results shown in the pictures of Sharka's dash, so I tried it!

It is amazing how much dirt/grime came off of my dash. Equally amazing is how much better the dash looks now! It looks so good I am second guessing covering it in alcantara!

It is hard to get pictures at night inside, but I think you can see how good the plastic looks now.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #80 (Edited)

The decision on whether or not to cover the dash was decided for me. The morning after installing the beam back on the dash I noticed a Y shaped crack in the dash! :scream:

Just like revlimiter's dash, I fixed the broken dash beam mounting points on the passenger side and after I reinstalled the beam the crack appeared.

You can see the Y shaped crack in this picture. The silver dots are where I marked the ends of the crack. I drilled a small hole at the ends to stop the crack from running.

I drilled the holes, notched the crack with a dremel burr bit. The crack had not gone all the way through the dash yet, so I ground just deep enough until I couldn't see the crack anymore. Then I filled the opened crack with plastic weld epoxy.

I let it cure over night and sanded the epoxy smooth.

I also removed the little fins in the defroster vent openings. This will make it easier to wrap the alcantara inside the openings. I will probably back these openings with some sort of mesh similar to Sharka.

I am not happy about the crack, but I think the end result covered in Alcantara will be really cool! Fabric is ordered, so I hope to have time to wrap the dash top this weekend.

61 - 80 of 394 Posts