ClubRoadster.net banner

Count Your Blessings You're Over 5ft!

4K views 51 replies 34 participants last post by  ray_sir_6 
#1 ·
This morning on my way to work my pillow shifted. I decided to take it out from under me, thus making it impossible to see over my dash. Here's a Sam's Eye View:

Pillow:

No Pillow (and stretching!):

I'm tired of hearing people over 5ft complain about being too short! They aren't a slave to a pillow!

That is all.

See less See more
#6 ·
Dang, I have the oppsite problem. My head is about an inch or less from the under side of the top. And if I hit a bump in the road I cram my head into the top. lol, :mrgreen:

#9 ·
Well in my first miata I DID have a reverse foam mod PLUS a pillow. Now i just have a stiffer pillow :)

I'm 4'11. I have long legs, but the upper half of me is very small.

I was looking into after market, but all the reviews i saw were people excited they were LOWER than stock.

#13 ·
You wish you were taller, I wish I was shorter...

If I gave you a few of my inches, would you be happy?

...uh, um. I just realized what I typed...didn't mean it that way. :oops: #-o

#17 ·
The most interesting part of this problem is that you have to safely raise the seat, retain crash integrity, and not poke through the top...

I'd say reverse seat foam, but with a different seat.

Part of me wonders if it's safe, the other part wonders what could be stashed under the seat (amp, nitrous controller, CB?)

#18 ·
The seat bolts on to the rails with four bolts. Perhaps you could fabricate spacers to go in between the seat and the rails, you'll probably also need longer bolts. 1 inch or 1.5 inch thick spacers would probably be enough.

If it were me, I'd have a machinist fabricate the spacers from aluminum blocks. But a stack of washers would probably be just as effective.

If it's a 94+ car, the seat belt buckle will also need some modification to the bracket so it'll reach the bolt hole to the frame of the car.

Hope this helps.

joeyb

#19 ·
The seat bolts on to the rails with four bolts. Perhaps you could fabricate spacers to go in between the seat and the rails, you'll probably also need longer bolts. 1 inch or 1.5 inch thick spacers would probably be enough.

If it were me, I'd have a machinist fabricate the spacers from aluminum blocks. But a stack of washers would probably be just as effective.

Hope this helps.

joeyb
I'd use something like that, yeah. Needs to be very thick to help lateral support, and I'd maybe weld a frame inbetween them...

#21 ·
Isn't it illegal to put a non-airbag steering wheel in a car that originally came with an airbag?

And I vote for the spacers on the mounting rails. That seems to be the safest way to gain the correct driving position.

#22 ·
Isn't it illegal to put a non-airbag steering wheel in a car that originally came with an airbag?

And I vote for the spacers on the mounting rails. That seems to be the safest way to gain the correct driving position.
A mechanic or shop cannot technically remove standard safety equipment. Not in my state, anyway.

Although I think with the proper paperwork, maybe they can swap the wheel out.

#24 ·
Hi Samantha, it's Cory from RCM!

Maybe you should consider having a roll cage built with a custom seat mounting rail. That would be the safest way to raise your seat and get you into the proper driving position.

Oh, and next time stop before you take your no-pillow picture. I'd hate to think of you barreling down the road at 75 mph seeing only your dashboard and trying to take a picture at the same time. :shock:

#26 ·
1. I don't care if it's against the law to remove the airbag. It's not the law maker's face/chest sitting in front of the steering wheel.

2. After I posted the picture, i figured someone would comment on the speed. I had the camera beside my face while driving. I've taken about 2 million pictures in the last year or two. I know where to hold my hands for the perfect picture even without looking.

3. Hi Cory! I'm glad you made your way over!

4. I could nicely ask my dad to help. I honestly never thought of working with the rail underneath, and he's like premo welder/tool man. I'm just tired of sitting on pillows. I've been doing it for... 4 years now? I take that back, i didn't need one in the mini!

5. I want a roll cage. For looks only <3 because i'm a girl.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.