ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the best way to vent the crank case with IRTB's? I see most folks simply put a small K&N type filter on the drivers side cam cover and plug the PCV vent on the other side. How is this working out, getting any oil coming out? Also, is there a part # for this piece? In some pictures I see a hose running from the drivers side fitting to somewhere near the brake booster. What is it connected to? I have read a describtion of a clear case Fram gas filter that was used as a vent and catch can. The see through case could then be checked for oil. Maybe thats what is attached to the hose? I am just doing some planning while waiting fpr Jimmy to ship kit. Thanks for any input. Chuck

·
Registered
369 Posts
I'd get a catch can b/c it's located right above the header. I was driving a friends autocross car with a breather filter at an autcross, and at 8000 rpm it was sputtering out oil.

There was a small fire to put out after 2 of my runs.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I found a breather tank at Summit for $28, however it is a little large at 1qt. Seems thats the min. size required by some race orgs.. I will check racing kart internet sites for something smaller and look for the fuel filter mentioned above. Chuck

·
Registered
291 Posts
Chuck,

I was running a small clear catch can for a short period of time before I cracked it (wrong type of can for the job). What I mostly saw was very little oil and 99% water. My guess is that when you go to a more open breather system which communicates with the atmosphere directly, moisture gets into the system when you shut the engine off and it starts to cool down. I'm also looking for a good catch can, I like that plastic summit can...

BTW, if you think you want to change out your clutch line to a stainless line, do it while you have the manifold off during the IRTB install. Getting to it after the fact is a real pain. I did it the hard way...

Bruce

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had not thought about condensation in can resulting from temp. changes. The plastic might be better then the metal for this. And I have decided that bigger is better. Also note that the summit can comes in colors. Chuck

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh, I forgot to mention that I have a stainless line, but thanks for recommendation. Chuck

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In reguard to the Summit can I mentioned before. In cat. it was listed as about 10" high. It is actually about 14" high. This to tall to easly mount in engine bay. I am going to see about putting it in driver side wheel well, where washer bottle goes on ABS cars. Chuck

1 - 14 of 14 Posts