ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
//banned
9,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
crank pulley wobbling - how do i fix this?
i'll post a video when i get home, but i'll try to describe this as best as i can.

when putting the pulley onto the crank, it wobbles back and forth. the hole on the pulley is slightly larger than the crank. the notch lines up, but there's too much play...

the piece on the pulley that has the hole...is that the boss? or hub boss?
can that be replaced without replacing the whole pulley?

thanks in advance. when i get home, i'll post a video for further clarification.

video - post #10

·
//banned
9,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
173 Posts
I noticed a wobbling pulley one day in my 94, something came up and I forgot to check further. It got worse really quick.

Silver locktite to the rescue ;)

Turns out it was improperly torqued/no locktite from PO's timing belt job. It's a shame, it could have been a simple re-torque and no damage. Car still runs great after the patch up though.

You might check for a damaged/warped key, or a damaged keyway in the crank nose, the gear cog, or the pulley (maybe all three). I'd wonder if the pulley keyway has been enlarged somehow, maybe you might get lucky and only need a replacement pulley/HB.

Edit, just watched the video. Is the key too narrow? I know they only go in one way, is it possible it's out of spec somehow?

·
//banned
9,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Silver locktite to the rescue ;)

Turns out it was improperly torqued/no locktite from PO's timing belt job. It's a shame, it could have been a simple re-torque and no damage. Car still runs great after the patch up though.

You might check for a damaged/warped key, or a damaged keyway in the crank nose, the gear cog, or the pulley (maybe all three). I'd wonder if the pulley keyway has been enlarged somehow, maybe you might get lucky and only need a replacement pulley/HB.

Edit, just watched the video. Is the key too narrow? I know they only go in one way, is it possible it's out of spec somehow?
i don't think the key is too narrow, i think the diameter of the end of the crankshaft is different than the diameter of the hole on the pulley.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
seems this is more of a pulley boss issue than the acc. pulley itself.

I don't even know if this is a problem or not, its been quite some time since i did my TB and I don't remember if it had some Excessive play.

If you have access to another pulley boss try it and see if anything changes.

·
//banned
9,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah, i was thinking it was the boss. i have access to the older one, which doesn't have as much play, but still plays a little bit.
i might just get a new pulley boss.
gonna call steve in a bit.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts