ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 20 of 258 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been giving motor swaps a lot of thought lately as I start digging into my winter project and I've come up with some great, logical ideas, and some great, not-so-logical ideas. Trying to see if I'm completely out of my mind or if anyone else has ever thought of or even gone through with any of these.

1) Toyota 4AGE 20 valve "Silvertop"/"Blacktop" motor
- 1.6L, 20valve, ITBs, 158-165 crank hp stock
- Would have adapters made to use Miata flywheel, clutch, and trans

2) '04-'06 Yamaha R1
- 1.0L, ITBs, 175 crank hp, 6-speed sequential trans, nice weight reduction
- Would use R1 trans with custom driveshaft adapter and sequential shifter assembly, custom header/exhaust

Have I completely lost my mind or would either one of these be absolutely awesome??? :confused:

·
Supporting Member #5522
3,190 Posts
go with #1 theres been a lot of talk about it, i thank it has been done. i thank, but if your going with i bike engine. i would go with a busa engine thay have been put in alot of cars.

but thats just me

·
3,857 Posts
^ LOL

Seriously go with an LS family engine and you would be super happy... otherwise doesn't make too much sense...

The bike engine won't be fun unless you do an overbored 1.6 hayabusa with turbo... the 1.0 R1 won't have the torque you need.... and swapping an 1.6 for another 1.6 it kind of pointless.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I've been giving motor swaps a lot of thought lately as I start digging into my winter project and I've come up with some great, logical ideas, and some great, not-so-logical ideas. Trying to see if I'm completely out of my mind or if anyone else has ever thought of or even gone through with any of these.
Pick any car engine you want and it will probably fit into a Miata. And if you factor the engine being free, it will also cost you at least $10K to shovel it into a Miata.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^ LOL

Seriously go with an LS family engine and you would be super happy... otherwise doesn't make too much sense...

The bike engine won't be fun unless you do an overbored 1.6 hayabusa with turbo... the 1.0 R1 won't have the torque you need.... and swapping an 1.6 for another 1.6 it kind of pointless.
The thing with the LSx swaps is that if I wanted a car with a V8 I would have gone through with finishing the 5.3L swap I had half the parts for for my old Camaro. Plus I don't have the money for an LS swap, a T56 trans alone costs as much as I could get either the 4AGE or R1 motor for complete with ECU and wiring harness.

Sure the R1 would be a little lacking in the torque department, but it still has nearly 80 ft lbs in stock trim, plus the whole [email protected] RPM thing I think would be rather sufficient for bombing around a road course. The big downside would be the lack of a reverse gear unless I spent upwards of $1k on a custom reverse box.

On 1.6-->1.6 being pointless, I actually have a 1.8, which in your mind would make me even more insane. :p My argument is that the 4AGE is in my mind simply a better motor. Slightly more torque and at least 30 more hp in stock trim than the 1.8s factory ratings, OEM individual throttle bodies, and they are capable of a lot more N/A power without hugely breaking the bank.

Stock 20valve "Blacktop" with 75mm velocity stacks and 2.5" exhaust. 145whp/110 ft lbs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKTgi7iXBxM

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You sir have put absolutely awful thoughts in my head. I may not sleep tonight after watching videos of ITB'd 1UZs for the past hour. :eek: I'll be calling up a friend of mine who is swapping one into a a Supra and see how it's going, I wonder how much of a pain it is and what trans he's using. A 4.0L V8 with ~265hp in the 'ol roadster sounds like a screaming good time...

·
Finger lickin' good...
6,605 Posts
You sir have put absolutely awful thoughts in my head. I may not sleep tonight after watching videos of ITB'd 1UZs for the past hour. :eek: I'll be calling up a friend of mine who is swapping one into a a Supra and see how it's going, I wonder how much of a pain it is and what trans he's using. A 4.0L V8 with ~265hp in the 'ol roadster sounds like a screaming good time...

That's what I'm here for :D

·
Registered
101 Posts
1) Toyota 4AGE 20 valve "Silvertop"/"Blacktop" motor
- 1.6L, 20valve, ITBs, 158-165 crank hp stock
- Would have adapters made to use Miata flywheel, clutch, and trans
I have been thinking about this for a while because after buying a turboed NA6 and deciding I don't like turbo's. My other road car is a AE92 with a 20V. There is a guy on the club4ag forum that developed a bell housing adapter for the miata 6spd to 4AG. It also involved a modified input shaft and was quite expensive from memory. I would likely just make a custom adapter plate and mix and match clutch gear to suit.

Another "potentially" simpler fitment solution would be a 3SGE Altezza (2L, 200hp). These come with a 6spd box which is from Aisin and the same as the miata (and S15) 6spd. I was never able to find out for sure but I was hoping the central casing and output shafts were common to all the gearboxes so all you needed to do was swap the rear housing to fit it to a miata powerframe. The engine is also likely to be taller than a B6/BP so a bonnet bulge or something may be req'd too.

Cheers,
Julian

·
3,857 Posts
The thing with the LSx swaps is that if I wanted a car with a V8 I would have gone through with finishing the 5.3L swap I had half the parts for for my old Camaro. Plus I don't have the money for an LS swap, a T56 trans alone costs as much as I could get either the 4AGE or R1 motor for complete with ECU and wiring harness.

Sure the R1 would be a little lacking in the torque department, but it still has nearly 80 ft lbs in stock trim, plus the whole [email protected] RPM thing I think would be rather sufficient for bombing around a road course. The big downside would be the lack of a reverse gear unless I spent upwards of $1k on a custom reverse box.

On 1.6-->1.6 being pointless, I actually have a 1.8, which in your mind would make me even more insane. :p My argument is that the 4AGE is in my mind simply a better motor. Slightly more torque and at least 30 more hp in stock trim than the 1.8s factory ratings, OEM individual throttle bodies, and they are capable of a lot more N/A power without hugely breaking the bank.

Stock 20valve "Blacktop" with 75mm velocity stacks and 2.5" exhaust. 145whp/110 ft lbs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKTgi7iXBxM
Money is always an issue for everyone but the problem with every swap is that you really don't know how involving it would be before you finish it.

I don't know your skills but if you are not a machinist it can be expensive fabricating every piece that might be missing and towing the car to the machine shop whenever it needs to be there.
I would say start a list with all the parts that you need and their cost, then do the same with the parts that you don't have and their estimated cost.
People in the swap forums usually suggest to double or triple the estimated cost :eek: but I guess if you do a very good analysis you might be only a little bit off.

My advice if you don't have tons of money would be to add a turbo or SC at your current engine and see if you like that...

·
Mostly Harmless
1,540 Posts
While it might not be "insane", a buddy of mine is putting a twin turbo GM V6 into his '74 MGB GT. Project's on hold until he gets his new garage/shop built.
He'll be doing most of the fab himself aside from the front subframe, custom water pump, and rear suspension.

·
Mostly Harmless
1,540 Posts
jux, please post more pictures of that when it's done... i'd love to see those rear wheel wells filled!
Will do. The rear tires will only be 315s (pictured are either 285 or 295. forget which, as I took these maybe 6 months ago). The sheet steel you see will be cut down eventually; they'll be the inner wheel wells and totally covered by flares.

1 - 20 of 258 Posts