ClubRoadster.net banner
741 - 754 of 754 Posts

·
Constantly Spooling
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #741 ·
Man I’m pretty bad about updating this as much as YouTube now.

Okay, long story short I dropped the subframe successfully, I missed a few bolts which took me longer than I care to admit.

Sealed the oil pan with a new gasket and it still leaked. Originally it was double layered, not sure why I did that but here we are.

Here’s the credit for me doing it at least haha

So I figured the next time it was easier to pull the motor than drop everything, to me anyways.

I already had the fluid drained so I figured let me just do it again.

Got it sealed up right this time around no more leaks…. Or so I thought

Same day, motor is back in and we left it here, that was the goal.

I also got the kazespecengineering oil pan baffle installed the first time around as well.

Looks so nice!

But the downside of moving too fast is you break some things…. And they are usually important.

Broke the AN line on the back of the head and cross threaded my front AN line.

So long story short I had to take that off the back of the head to get a good look at it.

If you’ve been following for a while this was a custom piece I had made for a reroute to the back of the head

I also found out from the same person who made this piece for me, that the 1.6l
has ports for water already on the block. So I didn’t need this port.

So I drilled it out and tapped it

I tapped it for a block off for now but eventually will use it as a separate AEM water temp gauge.

Here is the thread pitch for the block of a 1.6 Miata

Got all the lines situated and worked on the bumper to put the canards back on

Then I did the scariest thing and drove it without any real type of gauges a couple miles up the road (had tail lights in)

Now we wait. I don’t have a time frame for paint but I’m hoping before the end of this month would be ideal.

I’m also going on a trip to California to drop off the best parts of this car.

For now I just have the parts chilling on the garage floor (on mat) waiting for the car to come home and I’ll throw everything back together ASAP.

·
Constantly Spooling
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #742 ·
Well we meet again, and a lot has gone down!

The main thing is that the paint is done!

There are things that need to still be touched up but that can be done after it’s put back together fully.

All the body panels, flares, trunks (yes multiple) were all painted!

I took those back home to give him some space.

Soon after I took my Starsharks that were originally 14x6.5 and 14x7 and will have some work done to them to fit my car how I like.

Made the trip from Arizona to California to Love20Bee! I couldn’t have been more excited to make the trip and see the guys in person!

Not soon after our trip to California, Brutus was finished up with paint!

Now he does not have a booth and I knew that going in so while it’s not perfect it’s all black and it does look sweet!

Then I drove home to get some more shots!

I was beyond excited, something I’ve dreaded for 9 years is done!

And as I usually do, I can’t stare too long because I want to see it go back together sooner than later.

So I get to work on reassembly!

Switching out trunks!

I got the front bumper on and fenders on (not carbon, paint color difference, they were painted at different times)

Part 1

·
Constantly Spooling
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #743 ·
Got my flares back on soon after!

Then I had to finish up with the trunk and the front lights!

This is what I’ve been waiting for!!!!

Now the last piece now that the exterior is done is the interior!

I got carpet, cause I’m old!

So I got to work on putting that in along with the rollbar and door bars!

And that brings us up to today!

Brand new carpet, freshly painted roll/door bars!

Carpet was an experience let me tell you but we’ll worth it so far!

That’s it for now, until next time when I’m driving!

·
Constantly Spooling
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #744 ·
Pinch welds

Rears: 3 and 5/16 inch from the ground

Fronts: 3 and 10/16 or 5/8

So fronts higher for sure, I still need to move caster forward a smidge as well

·
Constantly Spooling
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #747 ·
Drove it for a bit…. Only issue was the need to rebleed the Coolant and replace the clutch hydraulic piece (ripped boot)

Also noticed only 1 side of the car dropped down after the suspension settled and while it looked great for photos!

Driving was terrible!

Photo dump

This is before it settled

Then I got my favorite hood of all time!

Garage Vary Type 1 Hood in full Carbon!

Then after driving the suspension was significantly lower!

Mandatory gas station photo Miatastyle

More shortly

·
Constantly Spooling
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #748 ·
Did a little mini meet up with some friends

Then I decided since the fenders need to be painted I should get my Carbonmiata side markers put on before hand

So I drilled the hole and filed it just big enough for it to fit in and sit nicely!

I know carbonmiata allows you to plug into an existing light, but I would recommend soldering it to make sure it doesn’t come lose

It’s not easy to get in there and fix the wires if they come out of the existing slots

I made them blinkers instead of just daytime right lights… so then are functional now. (Ignore the chemical reaction on the door, needs paint too)

Lucky enough I deciddd to do this now cause despite the tape, while filing I slipped and it went into the fender paint, so it is what it is but annoying nevertheless

Then my absolute favorite! Some of you may remember when I got these ages ago, well I finally did the thing and had them rebuilt to my spec!

So they’ve transformed from 14x6.5 and 14x7 to 15x9 and 15x10 for the rears

That’s it for now…. Need tires and time to put the hood on fully!

·
Constantly Spooling
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #749 ·
Been slacking on this been back to updating.

Got tire rack mounted

Looked so cool! Then I was concerned about the faces so

Got some gauge rings and my E brake handle from Garage5.bigcartel.com and I love them!

Then it was time to get cutting to fit my Garage Vary Type 1 hood. So I wanted the the hood to not move like oem. So I made it to where the hood semi gets pulled into the hood latches so it’s nice and tight!

Garage door light hits different

·
Constantly Spooling
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #750 ·
Just in time for some last minute daylight

Anddd just like that I’m in love with this car even more!

Then I got the tires mounted on the sharks!!!

·
Constantly Spooling
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #751 ·
Now my front caster needs to be moved but otherwise that’s about it for the sharks to fit. I can roll on the rears but need the alignment to get the fronts right!

Okay okay enough sharks! Had my buddy take some photos around town!

Here are a few

Washed the speed up with the new pressure washer

Then over the weekend I went to a car meet, the first one since the transformation. This is some of what I saw as I didn’t take many pictures… just enjoying talking cars with people!

Saw another jetstream Miata in the wild! Super cool guy! I believe we are the only 2 in AZ with them!

Then we saw this 5.0 cobra Miata pull up! And that I did take 1 photo of!

Screenshot from a reel I saw. People seemed to have enjoyed Brutus as much as I have!

Until next time!

·
Constantly Spooling
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #752 ·
More photo with explanations

Got my alignment done! Thanks Pat for helping out!

Pats car

Realization as well, I may have put the flare on without a wheel so it may not be lined up 100% as this is as far forward my caster can go. I’m fine with it.

I also likely have slightly bent lower control arm on my driver side. After my crank pulley fell off years ago. One day it’ll all be replaced. But for now we’re rocking what we got.

Also working on some of the paint work. Just cleaning up some rough areas.

Which also required a quick wash…first in many years!!!

Before putting it all to the test again! I want this car to be ready for the track!

·
Constantly Spooling
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #753 ·
Speaking of prep, my turbo manifold bolts came out in 3 spots so I replaced those.

Then you know photos had to be taken!

The car performed flawlessly! So I drove it home with no issues and parked it!

Then got to work on the interior. My Zoom Meter Panel came in and I couldn’t have been happier! Another dream item acquired!

I’ve been wanting to move the gauge pod off the a pillar so I could get full visibility again. This was my solution!

Now tying it all together

Then the bad happened…

·
Constantly Spooling
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #754 ·
Went for a drive just getting some audio clips for YouTube with the turbo and exhaust.

Well on one of the hottest days 114° out and both my rear tires debead.

Then I ended up catching it on video but I was thrown off as to why.

The wheels seemed to be fine when it happened so I ended up calling a friend of mine to go to my house and get my spare wheels and tires to throw on so I could drive home.

So I thought my valve stems were the root cause but that isn’t the case.

Unfortunately the barrel appeared to crack on both wheels in the same areas.

Luckily the motorist assist were in the area and were able to give me some water and shelter from the heat until my buddy showed up.

We swapped everything and got home after that and went out of town.

When I got back into town and looked at the wheel on the wall I was able to turn the valve stems by hand. So I tightened those up and didn’t think anything of it.

So I gave them to my buddy to refill them with air thinking that was it. It ended up being worse than valve stems being loose.

When he filled them with air the bead broke again. Then he sent me photos of the wheels being broken.

Now I’m not sure the root cause of the barrels cracking like this. So I talked with the company that made them for me and shipped them back.

Just waiting to hear more on that, but it hurts but I’m glad I’m okay cause I was starting to roll into boost and that’s when they let go.

Also for the zoom panel, if anyone needs a reference as to how to run your wires up top, I did the following:

Just ran them behind and through the air system.

While the weather was semi decent, I took the top off to enjoy it! It was still hot but great!

Then most recently did a little music video with the Miata homies cause a friend asked us to! So why not!

Got some good donuts in before my steering shaft let go, but luckily someone was around with some tools to throw that back on and band aid it home until I could fully fix that!

That’s it for now!

741 - 754 of 754 Posts