1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Autocross on Sunday (SoCali)

link didn't work ?
It doesn't work because this forum software is stupid
Just copy and paste in your browser, and don't forget to manually remove the space from 4BFDFE 274AE1 which this forum also added itself, it should be 4BFDFE274AE1

So, copy and paste the whole line in your browser and remove the space

·
3,857 Posts
I was enrolled in the CSM with CASOC.
Btw I got the number 550 this year...
So I would be running in Group 1 and I'll be working in group 2.
Dave Winder was saying that he will come but unfortunately he didn't manage to change his engine mounts (couldn't get out the mount because of the header).
So I'll be coming alone from thousand oaks (103miles each way btw :))
What time I should show up there Julian?
Do you run in SM2 or in CSM?

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
thank you sir. i would like to go... but honestly havn't been a track or autocross event b4....i have a 1992 greddy'ed miata. what class do i fall in ?

Scott

·
3,857 Posts
In SM or CSM like me :)
I think CSM is a bit better (meaning less possibilities of being murdered :) )
I only being there once (with my car) and probably 2-3 more times with a friend's car!
All of the previous times my car was NA...now that I moved to FI (SCed) it would be more interesting!

come it would be fun and we would be able to "compete" with etch other...

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i want to start autox this season, but i'll probably just do practices for a while.. :)
Most folks there get angry when new people start coming to practices without going to championship events. Practices are for the championships participants to prepare for the next day. My advice as a start - either just championships, or practice + championships. Championship days are more newbie oriented - novice course walks, instructor runs, etc. On practice day most folks are busy working on their cars.

Of course the first thing IMO is to go to a practice day as a spectator and get free rides as passenger in as many cars as you can :) Most drivers don't mind passengers ....

P.S. I will be there on Saturday too - most of the time my wife is in the car with me, but if someone wants passenger ride we'll do something about it

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thank you sir. i would like to go... but honestly havn't been a track or autocross event b4....i have a 1992 greddy'ed miata. what class do i fall in ?

Scott
Pick CSM - on Sunday it is the first group running in the morning. Looks like most forced induction Miatas there will be in CSM this year

Go first on the Saturday, look around, chat with people, drool at cars, grab a helmet from the motorhome (free of charge) and jump in cars as a passenger to experience what autocross is like

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What time I should show up there
Do you run in SM2 or in CSM?
Maybe 6:30, 7:00 at latest. So you have time to unload the car, register, pass tech, walk the course (very important too) and be ready to run first group. If you go later you'll be in quite a rush ...

I haven't decided which class I'll be running. If all the F/I Miatas are in CSM this year (looks like it) and I am the only one left in SM2, I might move to CSM too

·
Registered
440 Posts
Hey Jman what color miata did you drive? There was a black miata getting like mid-60's I was impressed! =D> I was there Saturday, with my blue miata, black hardtop, flush mount headlights, and the oversized fender flares with stock wheels. iT is usually the only wierd looking miata at practice events

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
3,857 Posts
Hi guys!
The event was AWESOME!!!
I'm feeling so bad for not being there for so long!
Julian was there with his wife and Anthony (Red MSM) among other familiar faces!
As usual J-Man kicked butt :) 66sec IIRC...
From my side this was the first Auto-x after 1 year...I went out there in my first run and I couldn't see anything! Yes the course was well defined with cones but with my untrained eyes at some points and while in high speed it looked like a sea of cones - Yes you got it right in my first run I got lost (yeap it's embarrassing but true :))...Btw I did 81sec and I missed most of the action!

So on the second lap I asked an instructor to drive my car...he was a nice guy with smooth clear lines...he basically helped me realize how the course was going! He did 75sec!

2nd lap for me I did 75sec and on my third lap I did 72 sec!

The third lap was kind of OK since I didn't spin and I didn't lost my way, so I'm happy with it (my goal was not to DNF in at least one lap!)...

The car had some problems (poor idle due to lack of tuning) which I fixed by the time I was ready to go back home :) - In my last lap the car died at the end of the course and I had to push it (along with some spectators) before the next guy hit on me :)
Other than that it felt really nice!
The set up with the GC (430/300), the KONIs and the 215/45 Azenis RT615 was super sweet and worked like a dream!

While I was "working" and basically watching cars, I realized how important is to know how to drive... they were very nice cars out there that they've been driven by not skilled drivers and they were super slow...how sad (and no I'm not talking only about myself :p)

So pick up a helmet and come to learn how to really drive fast! It's fun and it's cheap! It's also nice because there are so many miatas out there so you can check your time and compete with them!!!

CU All in the next auto-x!!!
Chris

·
Registered
440 Posts
Yup, thats the same miata I saw Jman. I was going to ask you for a ride but got caught up in my own excitement of driving. But definately next time, since on the topic can you post and remind CR.net on the next autox event. Maybe we can get other CR.net miatas to tag along, I know VIOLATION is interested! :wink:

Also, I use those stock wheels for driving events. But I am thinking of bringing my 13x8 rotas to the next autox event for a change.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts