ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got a set of refurbed 4 way adjustable cusco coilovers today but i cant really figure out how to adjust the height.
anyone give me a few tips?
im on 15,s at the moment so dont really wanna slam it too much just yet haha.
can get some pics later.

·
Registered
45 Posts
What model of Cusco do you have? Fixed body or body-lenght adjustable?

If you don't know, pics would help.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ad i bought them off didnt know so either do i ... i know the ones where the bottom mount is adjustable without affecting the spring pre load.
ive got 2 collars instead of 3 if that helps.
dont just have the wire to get the pics off my phone to hand .. il get some up when i find it.
also do i need spring clamps to take standard shocks out?
having a lot of trouble with them

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thats what i was thinking alright .. ive seen people on here removing the helper spring on there racelands.
i had a set of tanabes on a starlet before and they had no helper springs so was a massive difference with the old shock.
so to go lower with these i have to tighten up the spring?
is the helper spring fully coiled up when its in the car or is it just to stop the big spring coming loose over a crest or something?
thanks for the help btw

·
Registered
45 Posts
Do you know what spring rates you have? Please post the numbers that are on the springs here!

I'm guessing those are too soft, i.e. 5/4, so that's why you are hitting the stops. You are maybe just a set of stiffers coilovers springs away from a great ride... Hypercoils or Swift FTW!

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say those coilovers were never intended for low low usage. They also appear to have fairly long springs.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i dont know what they are ... the coilovers were reconditioned and painted so i think the numbers were sprayed over.
what i mean is with the helper spring out the top mount hits the bumpstop before it touches the spring. so i had to put the collars the whole way up to the top of the thread.
im still confused weather i have them adjusted to their highest or their lowest.
i have my collars all the way up as far as they thread and theres still about 2 inch arch gap on 15 inch wheels

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say those coilovers were never intended for low low usage. They also appear to have fairly long springs.
i really hope not but you could be right ... theyed be great for trackdays but i cant even do them untill im 18 so i really just wanna slam it for a while on some 14's.

·
Registered
45 Posts
i dont know what they are ... the coilovers were reconditioned and painted so i think the numbers were sprayed over.
what i mean is with the helper spring out the top mount hits the bumpstop before it touches the spring. so i had to put the collars the whole way up to the top of the thread.
im still confused weather i have them adjusted to their highest or their lowest.
i have my collars all the way up as far as they thread and theres still about 2 inch arch gap on 15 inch wheels
1- Take out the helpers (as you did).

2- Cut bumpstops in half.

3- Lower the perches all the way DOWN (you know that you have to lower the spring to get a lower ride height... right? ;) ).

4- Take a test ride.

5- If it ride like crap, sold those and get some Megan EZ's (best bang for the buck).

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
1- Take out the helpers (as you did).

2- Cut bumpstops in half.

3- Lower the perches all the way DOWN (you know that you have to lower the spring to get a lower ride height... right? ;) ).

4- Take a test ride.

5- If it ride like crap, sold those and get some Megan EZ's (best bang for the buck).
thanks for that.
when i take out the helpers hough the top mount sits on the bump stop and not the spring.
should i just compress the piston to sit on the springs when theyre in the car?
would that not be bad for gas/oil seals

1 - 20 of 30 Posts