ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 91 that will within the next 4 or 5 months have a NA engine that will HOPEFULLY have somewhere in the neighbor hood of 145-150 RWHP. I want a lightweight, good flowing exhaust that is not ricey or super loud. Oh yeah cheap is good too.

I have a test pipe and soon will have a Stainless steel header. I am thinking about one off the shelf system, or have a custom one done. I am looking at the Enthuza M1 exhaust with the resinator, which weighs 20lbs. I was considering have a custom one built with some sort of resinator and muffler. I like the looks of the Spoon N1 mufflers, small almost stock tips but they're honda specific and $$$$. I also like the looks and online sound clips of the Tanabe mufflers, but don't know the weight.

Does anyone have recommendations for a lightweight muffler and/or resinator?
I'm thinking of running it rightout the back or there-abouts to minimize bends and also I like the looks of center exit exhausts.

Thanks!

PS Anyone else seen the new issue of Sport Compact Car yet? They have a NC with a dual center exit titanium with small tips its SSEEXXYYY!!!!

·
Mufasa in Training
32,648 Posts
You might want to revise your goal of 140 NA rwhp in a 1.6. JMHO, unless you've got some major disposable income.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
This is a hard one to answer. You've got some tough criteria that some would consider mutually exclusive. Not to mention that people have highly subjective opinions regarding the sound quality (or lack thereof) emanating from one's tailpipe. I know what rice looks like and what it tastes like but what does rice sound like? Cheap is OBX ($250 on eBay) or Mazdaspeed Spec Miata by Bosal ($150). Lightweight is a titanium cat-back from Tuckin99 - you'll have to ask them to custom make you one for the NA or modify the NB one to fit. Sounds good is, well, I'm still trying to figure that one out myself. Give me a bit and I'll think up some more solutions for you. But basically, if I were in your shoes and didn't want to spend a lot of cash, I'd probably get either the OBX or Enthuza budget with a custom angled RS*R like tip.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know that sound is subjective, I was just hoping for other lightweight options than a titanium system.

As for the final output, I talked to Keith from Flyin Miata this weekend aat a track event and the 1.6 he has in his Locost that started life in one of their shop cars is a 11 to 1 engine with Weisco pistons, Web cams and some basic head work. It puts out 145 at the wheels and 170 at the crank (At Colorado altitude mind you). He runs a set of one off TWM 1.6 IRTBs and Link computer. I'm going to copy his set up except with the Fuji IRTBs and use Megasquirt (unless I can get a cheap used Link) to run everything. I'll be happy with whatever it ends up at, but I think that at 11 to 1, cams and basic head work a little over 100hp/liter is easy.

·
Mufasa in Training
32,648 Posts
I know that sound is subjective, I was just hoping for other lightweight options than a titanium system.

As for the final output, I talked to Keith from Flyin Miata this weekend aat a track event and the 1.6 he has in his Locost that started life in one of their shop cars is a 11 to 1 engine with Weisco pistons, Web cams and some basic head work. It puts out 145 at the wheels and 170 at the crank (At Colorado altitude mind you). He runs a set of one off TWM 1.6 IRTBs and Link computer. I'm going to copy his set up except with the Fuji IRTBs and use Megasquirt (unless I can get a cheap used Link) to run everything. I'll be happy with whatever it ends up at, but I think that at 11 to 1, cams and basic head work a little over 100hp/liter is easy.
Perhaps easy, but not cheap, is all I'm getting at. Good luck to you in either case, and I really hope it works out. I'd love to do something similar one day, but life's changing way too fast!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts