ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

I have been lurking and learning here for a while now, and decided to contribute something besides just a post here or there.

What I am going to show you how to do today is two modifications to an aftermarket shift knob that I did to make it more comfortable for winter and put it in a lower than stock position.

The knob that I started with was a BLOX knob that I traded a VooDoo for. I like this shape better than the perfectly round knobs.

The first problem though that I encountered with this knob is that it is threaded from the bottom of the knob instead of being countersunk. This makes the knob sit very high on the shifter and was considerably higher than the stock knob. To fix this problem I did two things, I drilled out the bottom of the knob so that it was a large hole until it was deep inside the knob and then it was back to the regular threads. I also cut down the stock shifter so that it would not begin to thread into the knob until it was as far as possible inside the knob. Hopefully these two pic's give you an idea of what I did.

I loved the knob just like it was until we hit winter, then I was almost getting frost bite every morning because it got so cold. The first remedy I had was just to sew a fleece "condom" for the knob and put that on, but it was loose and shabby looking, so instead I custom sewed a cover on it.

The first step is to draw a center line on your knob, lay it on your material of choice (more on this in a minute) and then stretch the material up to the center line to trace out the shape you need just on one side. Do just a small part at a time and you will be left with a dotted line that you can then trace out for the shape. When you are done, cut out that side, fold the material in half and trace its shape over for the other half. Also, don't forget to leave a little extra material at the bottom for the hem, this is what the black lines are for at the bottom of my piece.

*material choice: you can really choose whatever material you want for your cover, but keep in mind that if you choose something stiff you will have a VERY hard time making it look nice. If you choose something stretchy like fleece or cloth like I did, you will have a much easier time.

The next step is to sew on your cover. The first thing to sew is the hem at the bottom. Just fold it in half and run a stitch along it. After that you will start to sew the seam. Many people prefer what is known as the Baseball Stitch. If you google Baseball Stitch, the first image is a very nice diagram of how to do it. The advantages of the baseball stitch is that it leaves the seam pretty flat and looks good. I wanted my seam to have a little ridge though so what I did was take my thread and put two needles on it. You will work from the top towards the bottom. I took both needles and put one through each side of the cover from the inside out and then sewed it up as if I was lacing a shoe. This method produces little "bumps" between the x's of the lace. I like this because it makes a grippy spot on the back of the knob. I don't have sewing pictures but you will get the idea as you are going.

The finished product turned out nice I think, and if you don't like what you end up with, its easy to cut it off and try again.

·
Motorboat Captain
9,990 Posts
I dig it.

The cover looks like Muppet balls.

·
Super Moderator
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Glad you guys like it. I was thinking frog knob until i seen muppet balls lol. I guess kermit ball knob is a good name for it.

I have tons of leather, i do upholstery. I picked fleece instead because its a better insulator than leather, my factory leather wrapped knob was was still colder than i like.

Also, leather is a pain in the ass to get smooth unless you cut it to the absolute perfect shape. Cloth/fleece gives you more room for error with the stretch.

·
Super Moderator
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its holding up good so far, I might change it out to suede when I recover my seats but for now this is doing great.

·
Super Moderator
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rofl, looks like muppet balls.

Have to noticed this cutting down on the extreme heat or cold you get in deep winter or hot summer?

--Korea
This is actually why I did this to begin with, I felt like I was getting frost bite every morning this winter. I never had problems with the heat, bit the cold bothered me a lot.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts