ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Here's mine:

No adjustable cam gears because I'm a starving student and my racecar takes priority. lol.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Why would you do that unless you had adjustable cam gears? Now it's open to debris for nothing but showing off factory cam gears. I mean, I've seen it done for years, just not with stock cam gears.

·
Premium Member
2,139 Posts
I'd have to agree that it doesn't make a ton of sense to do this with stock cam gears, but it does look pretty cool. So... how do u guys do this? A dremel? Seems like that would be hard...

·
Banned
8,938 Posts
............ So... how do u guys do this? A dremel? Seems like that would be hard...
Used a dremel on mine, took a while cause i did alot more (notice the center is trimed out too), and I broke about 6 ~ 7 cutting disks, and used just as many, but looks much cleaner IMHO. I also used a barrel sander (a dremel part) to sand the rough edges down to a clean polished finish, and hit all the way around the cam cover to clean up the mold marks from the factory.

And no it does not add more wear or tear on your timing belt being exposed to the elements, that is just a myth the old farts on another forum started. I had two other daily driven Miatas before my current Miata and both saw well over 120K miles and by 60K its time to change the timing belt anyhow.

Best to get a spare cam cover to work on from the local junkyard, or check the "for sale" section if you want to do more custom stuff, that way you can still drive your car. But for just cutting off the front nose of the cam cover, it wont take more than an hour to remove, cut, clean, and reinstall.

PhatMiata

·
OG Member
583 Posts
Here's mine. Timing belt cover removed and logos shaved, then chrome plated.

·
because **** you
6,665 Posts
............ So... how do u guys do this? A dremel? Seems like that would be hard...
And no it does not add more wear or tear on your timing belt being exposed to the elements, that is just a myth the old farts on another forum started. I had two other daily driven Miatas before my current Miata and both saw well over 120K miles and by 60K its time to change the timing belt anyhow.

http://phatmiata.com/008.JPG

PhatMiata
Yeah it does, atleast in other cars. Rocks have flown up and dismounted timing belts, meaning goodbye to your engine. I think it looks better stock, and is pointless even if you are running aftermarket cam gears, how many times a day are you planning on changing your cam settings? A month? A year? Keep on doing what you like though, it sets you off from others (unless you just copy people)

I should be painting my vc soon aswell

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Wow, its the Monsterflow Carbon fiber intake thread lol!

Anyway, black crinkle paint for me:

notice the classic oil filler cap...oh yeah

·
Registered
80 Posts
Rocks have flown up and dismounted timing belts, meaning goodbye to your engine.
While I agree that is pretty stupid if you don't have adjustable gears, losing a timing belt on our cars is NOT a big deal. Being non interference engines I can go outside right now, turn on my car, and cut the belt while its running and not really have to worry about a thing. Thats not to say that it wouldn't suck and that it takes a good bit of time to put on a new one, its not the end of the world though.

·
The Vorlon
4,516 Posts
I have exposed stock cam gears on my project Miata. Not only is it a modification for looks, but it also makes timing belt changes easier...you don't have to remove the valve cover to do t-belt changes anymore with this mod.

I suppose I'd also get a smaller benefit if pulled and the engine bay checked--it'd show that I don't have adjustable gears. :lol:

·
Registered
489 Posts
Why would you do that unless you had adjustable cam gears? Now it's open to debris for nothing but showing off factory cam gears. I mean, I've seen it done for years, just not with stock cam gears.
Because we like to piss people off... Der. :roll:

Edit: I spell like a 3rd grader...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts