ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1999 NB

So I plan to run a center exhaust in the never future, twin tip.
I really would love to have the bottom of the tip flush with the bottom of the bumper.
, like every product car that came from the factory.

What is the best process like to cut this hole, with my current tools my idea was to.

Make a templet from the tips, cut the hole using a hacksaw, sand down, to fit the templet exactly, maybe running a blacked edge gasket around the cut area, or use touch up paint.

IDK if this idea would even work. I don't want to repaint to bumper, and am working with a very small budget.

If I have to mount the twin tips below the bumper, I won't be horribly disappointed.

How difficult is this going to be, is it worth it?
:|

·
red?
1,239 Posts
Masking tape and a jigsaw worked wonders for me. The bumper is quite soft, as bumpers often are. Make sure you make a clean cut and you won't have to repaint or touch up anything.

edit: not sure that a hacksaw is the best tool for the job. Check out this thread for ideas.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
If it's anything like the front bumper, make sure your RPM is low enough that you don't start to melt the bumper.

But I agree, a dremel is great. That's what I used to make my NA/B hybrid bumper. I just used painters tape as a guide to make my cuts.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Use a cutting wheel to cut, then use the sanding band to smooth out whatever you need.

Don't have the rpm too fast that you melt the bumper, but don't go too slow that you don't bog down the dremel.

·
Registered
410 Posts
i have read that painters tape as a guide and using a blade very lightly with many cuts yields a good result. time consuming i would assume but should be very accurate and no risk of melting the plastic/paint as mentioned above. just make sure the tape is on the outside of the piece that will come off. that way if you slip you will cut the waist bit anyway.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts