ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any shop in Pomona area can weld my cylinder head back together?.
I though of buying a used one but I would probably have to do a valve job with a used head.
thus, I would rather just get mine fixed. Plus, mine still looks good, right?

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
The problem I see is even after welding it the piece that is nearly broken appears to be bent. Even if it was welded back in place, isn't the gasket not going to line up? Compare it to the other side of the head. If that gasket won't seal you'll be venting pressure and having oil spray out.

In all honesty if you are determined to see if welding will work, try to pop that piece in the best you can with some high temp epoxy. See if the valve cover will even line back up.

As you can see cast aluminum doesn't like to be bent. If that piece is bent out of shape, you have nearly zero chance of bending it back correctly. **** will probably just crack again.

·
Banned
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The problem I see is even after welding it the piece that is nearly broken appears to be bent. Even if it was welded back in place, isn't the gasket not going to line up? Compare it to the other side of the head. If that gasket won't seal you'll be venting pressure and having oil spray out.

In all honesty if you are determined to see if welding will work, try to pop that piece in the best you can with some high temp epoxy. See if the valve cover will even line back up.

As you can see cast aluminum doesn't like to be bent. If that piece is bent out of shape, you have nearly zero chance of bending it back correctly. **** will probably just crack again.
I was trying to look for a rebuilt or used head. A good clean head goes up to 450. BP4W is expensive. plus Ebay does not have BP4W any more..

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
Yeah the last I saw ended at 480... Have you tried project-g? A buddy of mine grabbed a head with intake manifold for like 450 from them not too long ago.

You should take it to a shop and get their opinion. They won't fix it if they can't. If they say it's unfixable, try high temp epoxy out and a rubber mallet out, see how it works. You might just be able to ghetto rig it with some RTV sealant where the gasket doesn't line up properly.

I'd still just personally replace it though.

·
Banned
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah the last I saw ended at 480... Have you tried project-g? A buddy of mine grabbed a head with intake manifold for like 450 from them not too long ago.

You should take it to a shop and get their opinion. They won't fix it if they can't. If they say it's unfixable, try high temp epoxy out and a rubber mallet out, see how it works. You might just be able to ghetto rig it with some RTV sealant where the gasket doesn't line up properly.

I'd still just personally replace it though.
I actually tried JB weld, but it still leaks. as your advice, I am planning to get a replacement, but it is hard to find a good one with my price range

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had G&G heads in Pomona recommended to me. I used them for Toyota 22r stuff, but a head is a head. Old guy with a bunch off little dogs running around. He mainly does work for the local shops, but he may be able to help you. give him a shot.

237 San Lorenzo in Pomona, he's not usually there early.

·
Banned
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had G&G heads in Pomona recommended to me. I used them for Toyota 22r stuff, but a head is a head. Old guy with a bunch off little dogs running around. He mainly does work for the local shops, but he may be able to help you. give him a shot.

237 San Lorenzo in Pomona, he's not usually there early.

what time should i be there? thank
Do you know his price range by any chance?
if he can fix it, that would be great.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts