ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who's got tips & tricks for this?

Trying to install an invisible stereo (iPod and a small amp, no headunit) and want to really tuck it up underneath the dash). Also have to replace the dash pad because of airbag deployment forever ago distorting the dash surface and making it tough to put any kind of passenger airbag in (cover or otherwise).

Thanks in advance, guys.

Ps: I know I'm gonna have trouble with the bolt that goes in the center right up underneath the base of the windshield where it meets the dashboard area.

·
Esteemed Member
3,785 Posts
the top center bolt shouldnt be bad just use a wrench its time consuming thats all, and where exactly are u planning on putting cd player ipod etc, behind passenger side I presume if so theres lots of piping back there for the heating and cooling so it might be difficult.

·
The Vorlon
4,516 Posts
The hardest part is disconnecting all the electronics & air junk. Once you do that, you should be able to remove the dash easily after removing all the bolts. The top bolt on the dash is a piece of cake.

·
3,857 Posts
I had no problem removing the dash, but I can tell you that there no space in there even for a needle!
Seriously even if you put a wire under the dash in wrong place... the dash won't align perfect!
If you are planning to put an ipod or something like that you will have to cut the the air vents...If that's the case you can even remove the heating element and then you will have plenty of space :)

Seriously your best bet would be top put a cover in place of the passenger side airbag and to install everything there!
Easy and neat!

Btw if I knew how difficult it would to swap the dash I wouldn't do it! Really! But anyway like all the things in this world now that I remember it it looks easy...

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Just removed the dash and it was much easier than I thought. Even did it all myself.

Tim's photos were a big help even though he had a 1.6 it was very similar.

I just dropped the steering column rather than remove the steering wheel. Sadly, I still have a rattle near the glove box and a few squeaks behind the gauges. #-o

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just practiced on the 93 parts car in my garage... Damn that was simple!

The tough part was just unplugging all those brittle plastic connectors under the dash.

And I dropped the steering column, too. Good move.

I'll be attempting this on the 95 Friday and Saturday.

Also, I'm not hiding anything behind the dash, just running new wires to the door. Maybe later I'll hide a couple crossovers under the dash like my PO did.

I also want to take off the dash to replace the crash-pad, since... Well if I break the dash while it's on the car I'm gonna have to take it off anyway!

·
Finger lickin' good...
6,605 Posts
Maybe I'm finding/removing more screws than I should be? :? :shock:

I'm removing the HVAC, airbag harness and other non-used parts from my Roadster, anything else I should consider?

·
Registered
559 Posts
Dashes are a be-otch to get out. 240 dashes are the worst.

Wait till you put it back in. Putting the air stuff back in is rediculous.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Let's see... There's the side bolts, tunnel bolts, and the bolt right under the windshield (all under covers)...

Then you have to remove and unclip/un wire the AC stuff (Removing the cables from the things they control)...

Drop the steering column with the two bolts underneath the inst. cluster, then the two bolts on the firewall...

Remove gauge cluster and hood...

Remove passenger side airbag and glovebox, too (duh).

Unplug EVERYTHING from under the driver's side and pass. side. DO NOT FORGET THE EBRAKE PLUG!! (I did, and it's no big deal just annoying). Cigg lighter, dimmer, Cruise Control wiring...

Anything I'm forgetting? If that's it, just yank on the dash lightly until you feel it lift off the lip under the windshield, then pull it forward and it should dismount completely or show you what you forgot!

PS It was really easy compared to some other cars I've attempted!

·
Esteemed Member
3,785 Posts
It might take a little while at first, but I bet I could do it in less than a half and hour now probably

·
ClubRoadster.net Founder
4,631 Posts
It might take a little while at first, but I bet I could do it in less than a half and hour now probably
Yeah, after doing the dash removal about 6 times now for various reasons on different cars, I have it down to about 20 minutes.

·
Finger lickin' good...
6,605 Posts
Well, I think I'm past the 20 min mark for working on it :? . I tried doing it a little late Monday afternoon and by the time I get home after work it's dark. So that only leaves Sunday and Monday for me to work on my Roadster between everything else. Luckily, I'm removing a lot of things under the dash itself, A/C stopped working, then the fan took a crap, heat was the only thing that worked, blah, blah, blah. I'm used to driving with the windows/top down, so it's not much of a change. Lees weight and less things to break.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Just take your time locating all the bolts by feel (tug gently). Took me about 2 hours to take it out the first time, and I put it back in 20 minutes.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Our black and tan dash swap went without any issues. I took a few pic during pulling but we should have done a write up. I will prob switch to a pre airbag dash next and do a step by step. Ill post the pics when i get home today. Matt, Tom and i learned a few things doing it. (Like swaping the wire harness)
"Its a small world"! Tom and i were in the Marine's stationed in the same area doing the same job.... but about 30yrs apart.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts