ClubRoadster.net banner

321 - 340 of 370 Posts

·
Brunettes > Blondes
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #321
been away from CR for awhile, mainly been focusing on sorting my life out and I've been fixing up my Ls400 a lot. Just finished Real Estate School though.
Miata has been garaged and haven't really driven it much. But when the money's right i'm probably gonna get it tuned :D

New pcv setup

·
Motorboat Captain
9,990 Posts
PM me your addy and I'll send you noodz and stickurs

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Look forward to updates, David! :) How about starting a build thread for the LS? I love those and would like to see what you do.

·
Brunettes > Blondes
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #325
PM me your addy and I'll send you noodz and stickurs
will do sir, ill pass on the nudes unless they're of your girl :)

Look forward to updates, David! :) How about starting a build thread for the LS? I love those and would like to see what you do.

good idea. i have a build thread on clublexus.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/build-threads/818311-david-s-1998-lexus-ls400.html

ive done so much work to this thing already it's crazy. Just bought coils for it hell yea

·
CSTG
3,229 Posts
You might check your CL idle settings, from your previous post about unplugging the TPS fixing the issue, it sounds like it's not entering and/or exiting closed loop properly. I'd check to see if you have idle ve or something engaged, and you're seeing a lean condition because it's not working properly.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Glad I used the stock ECU for my ITB setup...so much simpler
:suicide: If simplicity is your goal/priority but you are down about 10hp(give or take a few hp) vs megasquirt or similar standalone. I suppose you would contest this but there are PLENTY of threads to back it up in regards to thetuning advantages. Not trying to start a debate but just stating the obvious. :dunno:

·
Brunettes > Blondes
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #329
You might check your CL idle settings, from your previous post about unplugging the TPS fixing the issue, it sounds like it's not entering and/or exiting closed loop properly. I'd check to see if you have idle ve or something engaged, and you're seeing a lean condition because it's not working properly.
i'll take at look at those settings when i get the chance. I'm pretty sure my issue was the TPS going bad though. I used a multimeter and the one on the car wasn't to spec

·
Brunettes > Blondes
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #330
Glad I used the stock ECU for my ITB setup...so much simpler
any pics of your setup? guess you're running a plenum or airbox?

·
Registered
5,016 Posts

·
Google me.
164 Posts
:suicide: If simplicity is your goal/priority but you are down about 10hp(give or take a few hp) vs megasquirt or similar standalone. I suppose you would contest this but there are PLENTY of threads to back it up in regards to thetuning advantages. Not trying to start a debate but just stating the obvious. :dunno:
I don't go by threads or polls of what to do, I go by basic principles and trying things out - science. The way I did the plenum and engine management, I did not "lose 10 HP". AFR, redline, IGN, etc are tunable. Using a high flow MAF renders a great deal of forgiveness and robustness to changing conditions or weather. Like an OE tune.

Proper plenum with tweaked long curved runners, upstream filtration, rx8 MAF'd intake running straight thru the radiator. Idles stock or as low as 400 rpms, stock ecu with piggy. OBD2 etc. Very high cruise MPG. 0.08 seconds of lag to full output at a given RPM. Pulls from just over idle (broad rpm range, extends lower than stock), hardest above 4k. Idle videos, blip-response videos, and thru-the-gears videos have been posted in the past in the AE101 thread.

In my view, there is much to improve in the average ITB install. I wound up spending very little on the conversion and obtained well above average results.

·
Brunettes > Blondes
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #334
I don't go by threads or polls of what to do, I go by basic principles and trying things out - science. The way I did the plenum and engine management, I did not "lose 10 HP". AFR, redline, IGN, etc are tunable. Using a high flow MAF renders a great deal of forgiveness and robustness to changing conditions or weather. Like an OE tune.

Proper plenum with tweaked long curved runners, upstream filtration, rx8 MAF'd intake running straight thru the radiator. Idles stock or as low as 400 rpms, stock ecu with piggy. OBD2 etc. Very high cruise MPG. 0.08 seconds of lag to full output at a given RPM. Pulls from just over idle (broad rpm range, extends lower than stock), hardest above 4k. Idle videos, blip-response videos, and thru-the-gears videos have been posted in the past in the AE101 thread.

In my view, there is much to improve in the average ITB install. I wound up spending very little on the conversion and obtained well above average results.
that's awesome man, not many people seem to have kept the stock ECU with ITB's so that's impressive. I'm guessing you're running an IACV then, the OEM mazda one?

·
100% Jakedashian
7,265 Posts
ITB and stock ECU? That's awesome. Kinda neat to see what people can accomplish without a megasquirt

·
Google me.
164 Posts
ITB and stock ECU? That's awesome. Kinda neat to see what people can accomplish without a megasquirt
Actually, it works better than any ITB miata I've come across. Always starts like OE, can idle to 400 rpms, tune has been stable nearly a year, OBD2 etc, great MPG, no power deficit. Started at the first turn of the key...then I drove it. Had to fine tune and set sync of course later on. Some are happy with a 1200 rpm idle. Why? We can do better.

There is no need to do things a certain way in many parts of the the mod hobby. I kinda chuckle at how so many Millennials need to check a build thread or YouTube for so many rather basic things. Many wind up copying the mistakes or oversights of the well meaning person who made the video or thread. Then products come out for some approach (like the rather pricey vacuume blocks, there is no need to do that and clutter things up. The build example and video options can crush innovation and lock in many solutions that may not be so great after all. There are many parts of popular Miata mods that don't perform as well as they could, or that require unnecessary parts. In person I have had at least 3 people tell me that I should "upgrade" it to mega. What in the world for?!!? So they can feel better about how they went ITB and try to get it going. I'm comfortable with having a simpler and less expensive solution that inherently works better.

·
Google me.
164 Posts
Didn't even think that was possible. Kudos.
Done it on various different cars over the years, I love ITBs with OE driveability. Note my comments above. Again not just on ITBs but there are lots of things than can be done better RE popular mods on different cars. Often the popular approach turns out to be just a popularity thing not based on merit. Forums can help in that respect but they have their tendencies too, which discourages trying things out. So someone creative like me can get amused by seeing what is going on. I can't fix that but I can encourage others to learn and try things out rather than just follow the herd at all times. Some prefer to copy as a form of social acceptance, understandable as we all crave acceptance.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I have been lookin for a MS to pop up that fits my budget but saw it as more of a reliability mod as I plan to go with a conservative FI set-up. I've personally always preferred ITB's but always thought they were more complicated. I obviously haven't done enough/ proper homework. Thanks for sharing your experience.

321 - 340 of 370 Posts