ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my dilemma. I've been mulling this over for about 2 (3?) weeks now. It's come down to two choices (which are actually two completely different choices I originally had):

Plan A:
Buy a new Honda Fit.
Make Miata track & weekend car. Put lots of goodies into it. Repaint front and rear bumpers, maybe the hood, and hardtop.

Plan B:
Give Miata to my brother. Buy new Honda S2000. S2000 would then be my one and only car, with daily duties, weekend fun duties, and track duties.

---
Why I like Plan A:
More money. Insurance, surprising, is cheaper for 2 vehicles than one S2000. Fit is obviously much cheaper than the s2000 as well. Of course, payments on the Fit will be lower (as well as shorter term of payments). Having two cars would be nice. 4 doors would be nice as well. And I can fully customize the Miata to how I want it (i.e. minimalist interior, new carpet, etc. etc. etc.). All that money not thrown into cars (depreciating liability) can be saved for my big future plans (i.e. make the money make money). Plus, I'm happy with the Miata.

Why I like Plan B:
I've wanted an s2000 since its introduction in 1999. I've waited a long time to be able to buy nice things for myself. The Miata became sort of a substitute for the s2000 - but now i love the Miata too. And really, how often (as a single, age 28 male) do I really need more than 2 seats? The answer is not very often. Plus, I can afford it - though I'll be literally spending 2x more per month.

The responsible side (read: frugal) of me says go with Plan A. The "you've waited long enough, you're only young once, you only have one life to live" side of me says just do Plan B and dont look back.

So, how do you compare a Honda Fit and a Honda s2000? Which should I get? :-k

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Don't track a car you can't afford to wreck.

I can't afford to wreck my S2000. It's exclusively a street toy. The Miata sees track duty.

Why not buy the S instead of the Fit and keep the Miata? AP1s are well within Fit priceranges.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I'm for plan "A" get the Fit as a nice daily. Make the miata a monster. Two cars are sometimes better than one. Plan "B" would putting all your "eggs on one basket" with the S2K IMO. With only an S2K you are still limited to what you could do to it, as it will also be your daily and i would guess that you want some creature comforts in your daily driver.

-Jeremy

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
I agree with plan A. A friend of mine has an S2k and he bought a Miata for the sole purpose of taking to the track. He said if you're going to crash it's better to wreck a $10k car instead of a $35k car. The Fit can be fun in its own way and it is comfortable, frugal, and sporty enough for a commuter car. All it needs are some wheels and a front lip and it looks rad.

·
CR.net Supporter
676 Posts
I would also suggest plan A.
Although, my story is I started with buying a Pontiac Wave (Jan of 06) and then just recently bought the Miata (Oct of 06). And boy, let me tell how how much of a convenience it is when you have one REALLY reliable car that you can depend on when the "fun" car needs work... No chance of taking the bus. Not needing to rush everything so you have a vehicle. Being able to drive to get parts, etc, etc.

And besides, you can fit a lot in one of those hatchbacks. I fit a dining room table and 4 chairs from IKEA in the back of my Wave and I could close the hatch!

·
Registered
588 Posts
plan c I SAY! keep the miata buy a s2k just one that fits within your budget. unless your looking for a new one. cus your right ....your age....its that time cus when u get married and have kids you wont be wanting a two seater for them to roll everywhere. eventually unless your ballin! then your rich beach!!

·
CR.net Supporter
293 Posts
I would do plan A for a couple reasons. A Fit would be very nice daily driver that you wouldn't have to worry about. I don't know if I could drive an S2000 on a daily basis, 'cause I think I'd be too anal about parking. The Miata would be a very capable track car that you wouldn't have to worry as much compared to the S2000. You'd probably push the limits more and have more fun with the Miata on a track rather than worrying bout wrecking an S2000 that you have to drive to work as well. Or like others said, get an S2000 and keep the Miata. It would be nice to have the space of a Fit though.

·
Garage Quinn Motors - GQM
2,847 Posts
Carefull if you buy the S2k and keep the miata. I bought an NB after my NA with the idea of keeping the NA as a daily driver. Lets just say that didnt work out too well and I ended up buying a beater for a daily, which leaves me with two cars to garage in the winter time haha...

·
Esteemed Member
3,785 Posts
I agree its great having 2 cars, I have my truck and my miata. When I bought my miata I thought about selling the truck but Im glad I didnt. Having 2 vehicles is definitely nice for a project car or when theres bad weather or long trips I drive the truck

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the input, fellas.

I thought about getting something used, but want something I know will be super-reliable (so that the Miata doesn't have to be). So I considered getting something as old as a 2004 (in fact, I considered an EVO for the 4-doors, but for that price, I've always loved the s2000... and then we're back to square one).

In the end, since the Fit is already so damn cheap and has awesome gas mileage and interior space, I can't really justify buying a used car over the Fit.

Again, thanks! I think you guys helped push me to get that Fit. The Miata is overdue for a leakdown test because I have low compression in cylinders 2, 3 & 4 (though still within manufacturer's specs). Plus, there might be an exhaust leak (good excuse for a new catback). Expect to hear more about all that when I'm ready to get some work done on her. :)

Now I just have to find the right Fit. A dealer already quoted me a very good price, so I'm all set to go.

Edit: Oh yea, so now what shoudl join my Laguna Blue in the garage? A Vivid Blue Pearl Fit or a Bright Orange Metallic Fit?

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Between the 2 fits, I say Blue.

Were i buying it, white all the way.

·
Finger lickin' good...
6,605 Posts
I agree its great having 2 cars, I have my truck and my miata. When I bought my miata I thought about selling the truck but Im glad I didnt. Having 2 vehicles is definitely nice for a project car or when theres bad weather or long trips I drive the truck
+1 to that exact same scenerio!!

Plan A

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Honda = Championship White. People always like to suggest a Protege 5, Mazda3, Focus, or Rabbit in lieu of the Fit but truth is they're all great cars. For The Car Lounge's take on the Honda Fit click here.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts