ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. Myth 1: Heavy key chains are bad on your ignition. It tends to pull down on the ignition causing it to to be unbalanced in the barrel assembly,causing premature wear.
True or false?

2. Myth 2: Heavy/weighted shift knobs are bad for the transmission.
True or false?

3. Myth 3: Resting hand on shifter is bad for the transmission. When you do such a thing, you are pressing whichever shift fork you have selected up against one side of its synchro sleeve, which is always spinning. Hard to determine the exact rate of wear, given slightly different type of materials from series of transmissions, how hard the person is holding, and the rpm of the sleeve, but it will lead to friction and wear.
True or false?

4. Myth 4: Its bad to wet the brakes immediately after driving the car. Ie. washing the car. The rotors will warp. If so what about when you are driving around (brakes are hot/operating temperature) and it starts to rain? Same premise isnt it?
True or false?

I always hear mixed answers about the following, not sure who is correct. Please debunk, thank you.

·
Registered
638 Posts
1. False, you would have to have a seriously heavy keyring fob setup for it to jungle jingle that key in it's slot to make a big difference over time. IE: bowling ball...

2. False, think of it like a teeter totter. Some people like a heavier shifter as it makes the throw smoother. A lighter shifter will require more leverage & force... E=mc2(cant find the small 2) I believe qualifies?

3. True, Just like resting your foot on the clutch while driving. driving with the throw-out bearing slightly depressed/partially engaged will cause premature wear on your clutch. Riding in-between or even worse, using your shifter to brace yourself in the car is not only just not safe, but will ride against the synchro unnecessarily for reasons you've already explained.

4. false. You might be mixed up with seating new brake pads or rotors? there's a proper break in period for new pads or rotors. Improper break in can cause glazing on the pad or rotor. But if the brakes have been bedded already you shouldn't have any issues until the next maintenance.

·
Registered
638 Posts

·
Kony For President
2,036 Posts
Ah, crap... now everyone's gonna have one.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Uhh, yes rotors can warp. You could way overheat shitty blanks on the track and bake them. But the most common way is using the brakes (nice and hot) and rolling through a big puddle. Enough to flood over the wheels. I've had two friends do this and create quite a bad wobble under braking. Which was cured by replacing rotors.

But warped rotors by washing your car? No chance

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I got one

Myth : rotiform wheels can be cleaned in a dishwasher
True or false?

True they are Dishwasher safe!

·
Registered
730 Posts
1. yes, heavy keychains wear out the ignitorswitch, i work in a carshop and we had two customer with that problem, one car didnt start anymore, the other switched off when driving over bumps. Both had really heavy keychains with a lot of keys on it, new switch solved the problem.

2. I don't think they are bad, exept they are as heavy as your arm, because:
3. I heard of that before, I guess its like a lot of other little things that wear the car out, you will never notice if it really was that little thing that broke the trans/motor/car

4. This is definately true, if the brakes are hot and the amount of water is massive, for example driving on the autobahn with 120mph (yes, germany :mrgreen:), hitting the brakes hard due to rain and driving trough a puddle will probably warp your rotors. It doesn't happen often, but it can.

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
I would agree with you guys if we were just talking about cars on the daily commute, but you can warp a cheap rotor by eccesively heating it on the track repeatedly. Granted 99% of the time it is probably brake deposits, it's not impossible to actually warp or crack a rotor by heat cycling it too quickly.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I would agree with you guys if we were just talking about cars on the daily commute, but you can warp a cheap rotor by eccesively heating it on the track repeatedly. Granted 99% of the time it is probably brake deposits, it's not impossible to actually warp or crack a rotor by heat cycling it too quickly.
To literally "warp" a rotor is damn near impossible and you;d have to try hard..but i see what your saying! On the OP's topic: Just wetting them with a hose and driving would never make them warp either. that's like saying driving in the rain will ruin your rotors every time and warp them.

..and yes, I have a bowling ball leychain. What of it?

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
1. Myth 1: Heavy key chains are bad on your ignition. It tends to pull down on the ignition causing it to to be unbalanced in the barrel assembly,causing premature wear.
True or false?

2. Myth 2: Heavy/weighted shift knobs are bad for the transmission.
True or false?

3. Myth 3: Resting hand on shifter is bad for the transmission. When you do such a thing, you are pressing whichever shift fork you have selected up against one side of its synchro sleeve, which is always spinning. Hard to determine the exact rate of wear, given slightly different type of materials from series of transmissions, how hard the person is holding, and the rpm of the sleeve, but it will lead to friction and wear.
True or false?

4. Myth 4: Its bad to wet the brakes immediately after driving the car. Ie. washing the car. The rotors will warp. If so what about when you are driving around (brakes are hot/operating temperature) and it starts to rain? Same premise isnt it?
True or false?

I always hear mixed answers about the following, not sure who is correct. Please debunk, thank you.
most of these are opinion. if you don't think it matters, go ahead and do it.

1) my keys are as light as possible
2) IMO weighted loses the feel, and you can easily force it into gear, the heavier the knob is, or the more extended it is. i go easy on the tranny because i can't afford to have to replace it.
3) makes sense, ur hands should be at 3 and 9 anyway. but even i don't follow this all the time, but i certainly don't need to rest it on the shif tknob.
4) i see some people say it's false.

from personal experience, hot rotors and cold water will not cause it to warp, it will cause it to crack. this happened to me, and i had to pay for overpriced powerslot rotors because blanks were out of stock and i had already paid for a track day. the powerslots were the only ones available and were probably 3x the price of blanks that were just as good.

this forum is changing for the worst it seems.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I hope this ends the warp rotor debate. It's i think the term being used and understood in 2 different ways. But everybody is implying the same thing.

1. Warp = literally surface being not flat and true.

2. Warp/Glazed spot = that pulsing feeling when applying the brakes.

Alot of times the term 'warped' is used but in actuality it's the surface of the rotor has a smooth spot (less bite) and the rest of the surface is fine. Hence alot of shops will 'Turn' the rotor, which is literally resurfacing it down a bit so the whole surface has the same consistency for friction.

In line with HorribleR link. The pads can also get a glaze effect or it's temp range is designed for constant hard braking.

So warp rotor as in physical deformation of the material? NO, If you don't find the related link with any merit. There are other sources that will validate the same thing.. it's the surface of the rotor in certain spots having a different friction then the rest of the surface. This can be induced by full brake lock-up... That energy of your vehicle is being converted into that 1 locked spot on the rotor... I'm glad i never took that Thermal Dynamics class. :) .

lol brontosaurus - i'm curious if you start at 2. :) They keychain is so rare, people shouldn't be hanging their wallets off it...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts