ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was shopping around for different headers and i found some EBAY headers, OBX Headers, And Racing Beat Headers as well. Problem is they all look the same just different types of metal. They have the same 4:2:1 style headers.

Ebay Headers : 120
Obx Headers : 200
Racing Beat Headers: 420

Lemme have some opinions!

And i might do a straight pipe just in case i do headers.

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
The last one is not a Racing Beat. RB's are 4-1. OBX does have a really decent copy of the RB but its only available for NB cars.

If you're on a budget your money is probably better spent elsewhere. If you must purchase one the obx is probably your safest bet although there are many reports of them being difficult installs on 1.8 cars.

·
Registered
363 Posts
The reason they all look so similar is pretty simple, there's only so much physical space for the headers to occupy... tight clearances everywhere, any and all miata headers are going to have the same general dimensions. Mazda didn't leave much room for improvement... literally.

I'd look for(/wait around for) a used RB header, if I was in the market.

·
Registered
396 Posts
i picked up a set of OBX headers for a 1.6L, didn't and still don't have any fitment/clearance issues. it didn't come with a heat shield so i hand fab'd one, as the heat build up was killer.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds good..yeah I just wanna get a good hp gain since imma straight pipe. Tho the ones I'm finding for a 1.6 have a 2.0 outlet.

·
Registered
28 Posts
What you'll soon find out is that without FI or rebuilding the engine you'll never get a really good horsepower gain out a miata, not to be a buzzkill or anything. FWIW, I bought an OBX header because it was cheap (albeit for a 1.8), and I got what I paid for. It was impossible to get in without disconnecting the motor mounts and lifting the engine up, and build quality is poor, to say the least. Oh well, I guess the lesson to learn is to buy a decent header for a higher price to keep from buying a cheap one then having to buy another when the cheap one fails (as I suspect will happen to my OBX, but we'll see...)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hope yours keeps going man.You get what you pay for you right. Thankfully i updated my flywheel and my clutch. Seems like the 1.6 doesnt really have any issues.. Yeah i wonder. I really want a true exhaust port so i going to add a straight pipe and weld flanges to my stock cat for emissions. Also want the air to suck it so im going to look up DIY intake too.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i picked up a set of OBX headers for a 1.6L, didn't and still don't have any fitment/clearance issues. it didn't come with a heat shield so i hand fab'd one, as the heat build up was killer.
Heat shield sounds like a good idea. Would it be the same to wrap them up?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Heat shield sounds like a good idea. Would it be the same to wrap them up?
that came up in a conversation with Rocky from Miatamotive. if i heat wrapped the headers, they'd be cracked in a couple months of DD'ing, sooner if i wasn't driving Ms. Daisy. i've had it happen on my last car also, heat wrap from headers back to exhaust tip; i could melt plastic bottles and give third degree burns at idle by the exhaust gasses alone. about a month later my manifold was cracking around the flanges from the excess heat build up. i'd weld them from time to time to seal them up again, but it never ended, and i just took the wrap off and put the heat shield back on.

as far as the miata. the heat shield i built works decently. unless i'm sitting for long times in traffic, you can put your hand on the shield and not get burnt.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Fyi I ran my car with a a cat delete temporarily and thought it was too loud with my 5zigen super lap exhaust which is as straight as it gets, so I ended up installing a magna flo high flow cat and didn't really see any loss in power due to a cat.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
that came up in a conversation with Rocky from Miatamotive. if i heat wrapped the headers, they'd be cracked in a couple months of DD'ing, sooner if i wasn't driving Ms. Daisy. i've had it happen on my last car also, heat wrap from headers back to exhaust tip; i could melt plastic bottles and give third degree burns at idle by the exhaust gasses alone. about a month later my manifold was cracking around the flanges from the excess heat build up. i'd weld them from time to time to seal them up again, but it never ended, and i just took the wrap off and put the heat shield back on.

as far as the miata. the heat shield i built works decently. unless i'm sitting for long times in traffic, you can put your hand on the shield and not get burnt.
Got it! Yeah i Might find out at the junk yard or something then good deal!

+1

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Fyi I ran my car with a a cat delete temporarily and thought it was too loud with my 5zigen super lap exhaust which is as straight as it gets, so I ended up installing a magna flo high flow cat and didn't really see any loss in power due to a cat.
True. Tho it wouldnt cost me so much to get my cat flanged or get a aftermarket cat too. Tho it makes me wonder if the tsudo exhaust would sound deep or raspy

·
Registered
638 Posts
i got the raceland header.. price is decent, welds are good. Better then stock, noticed improved torque in the mid-range, and up top. But i also got the exhaust done at the same time.. you really can only free up so much hp on a stock motor.

With any of these headers, if it doesn't already have one. I would recommend getting a flex section installed while it's going in. I read alot of people having welds come undone, and it's not just on non-name brand headers.. to keep it at that.

·
Supporting Member
2,284 Posts
As previously stated...you get what you pay for...

RB ceramic coated header, purchased used, has been on my 94 for 6 years and over 200k miles...still looks good..no cracks, leaks or issues...a buddy has his RB on for 5 years..etc...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts