ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My life absolutely sucks. I just bought a torsen to put into my '96. So I begin tearing into the rear end to get out my open diff. I attempt to remove the two large bolts that hold the differential to the large aluminum sub frame thing (WHAT is this called BTW???)

I immediately round off one of the bolts. So I weld a 27MM nut onto the bolt head. Spray the hell out of the whole thing will lube (again,) slap on a 27MM 6 point 1/2inch socket and reef away. 3 ft of leverage, nothing. 6 feet of leverage, nothing! 8 ft of leverage, SNAP. I broke the bolt clean off an inch and a half up. So now I'm absolutely screwed as far as i can tell. My only option now is to attempt to remove the entire aluminum sub frame thing and replace it. All because this one bolt is absolutely seized. FML!!

My questions are....
1) Am I correct in assuming that my only option is to replace the entire aluminum thing?
2) What the hell is that thing called so I can properly search for it?
3) How much do they generally go for.... i really hope that wasn't a $200 bolt or some BS!!

Here are some pics of the bolt, next to a new bolt that came with my new-to-me torsen... notice the huge ass 27mm nut I welded on due to stripping out the original 17mm head like it was made of brie....

2012-05-07 15.44.34 (Large) by riponfrosh, on Flickr

2012-05-07 15.39.24 (Large) by riponfrosh, on Flickr

·
Registered
199 Posts
Re: Help!! Differential trouble!!!

drill it out with a strong drill bit and go get a bolt or screw extractor and remove it.

and dont skimp on how deep you drill. if you only do say 1/4" it will defenitly break the screw extractor...then you have real dang problem. so drill in atleast a half inch or so...by the looks of where the bolts broken you have plenty of room to play.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

drill it out with a strong drill bit and go get a bolt or screw extractor and remove it.

and dont skimp on how deep you drill. if you only do say 1/4" it will defenitly break the screw extractor...then you have real dang problem. so drill in atleast a half inch or so...by the looks of where the bolts broken you have plenty of room to play.
Thanks for the reply. But there is NO way in gods green earth an extractor is going to get that bolt out. I easily had over 1000 lb/ft of torque on the bolt when it exploded. 8 foot breaker bar and all my strength (with my legs) and the bolt didn't budge, just exploded. No extractor in the history of time can withstand that.

·
Registered
639 Posts

Don't take this the wrong way but you are turning it counterclockwise? I know being under the car can get you twisted around.

Did it snap above the spaceer on the bottom of the diff? Work the little round plug off the ppf/diff with a screw driver and see is you can gently pry that bottom spacer out.

You might not be screwed.;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Don't take this the wrong way but you are turning it counterclockwise? I know being under the car can get you twisted around.

Did it snap above the spaceer on the bottom of the diff? Work the little round plug off the ppf/diff with a screw driver and see is you can gently pry that bottom spacer out.

You might not be screwed.;)
Yup definitely turnin' the right way. Hell I wasn't even under the car when i was turning... i was 6 feet behind it on the end of the worlds longest breaker bar, haha...! This is what i've got... As you can see the midwest was not kind to this diff. I believe it spent several years being driven year round in Chicago. Lots of salt. Not good. The entire thing is flaking apart. The bolts are absolutely seized in. What are you recommending i pry out? The metal spacer that both the bolts pass through? How will i be able to get the rest of the bolt out? Does the top just pop into the PPF (looked up what's it's called.) Is it possible to pound the bolt out now?

2012-05-07 16.27.27 (Large) by riponfrosh, on Flickr

2012-05-07 16.26.56 (Large) by riponfrosh, on Flickr

2012-05-07 16.27.52 (Large) by riponfrosh, on Flickr

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

dang i have no clue then man but ill keep following this thread for the "i fixed it day" from ya

Thanks. Yeah, my question now is, how is the remainder of the bolt actually being held in now? I've never taken one of these apart before, so I'm curious if the top part (where the threads are) is just sitting (well seized no doubt) in the PPF? With enough banging is it possible for the remainder of the bolt to be pounded up and out? From some searching through the forums i read of a guy removing the PPF, placing it in a vice and banging on it with a sledgehammer in an attempt to get the bolt out. He failed.

·
Registered
910 Posts

What he is saying is to try to remove the sleeve that looks like a washer and then try to remove the spacer.
This info is probably a bit late but we use the electric impact wrench from harbor freight ($37) and it seems to work pretty well.
Granted we are in CA so I assume that helps because most the cars are pretty clean.

·
Registered
89 Posts

u see how those long bolts screw into that nut thing at the top? u have to knock those out.. They sit in there exactly like wheel studs... get a punch, stick it in the hole with ur broken off bolt, and hit with a small sledge to knock the top "nut" out of the pff. you are not screwed. when u break the other bolt free, dont take it out all the way, back it out a few threads then hit the bolt with the sledge to knock THAT little nut thing out.. I literally just installed my torsen 2 days ago and was stuck at this part

·
Registered
89 Posts

when u unbolt the diff from the chassis (keeping it conected to the pff) the whole pff will drop with the diff to give u a shitload of room to pull those "nut" stud thingy mabobs out from the top.

·
Banned
5,894 Posts

u see how those long bolts screw into that nut thing at the top? u have to knock those out.. They sit in there exactly like wheel studs... get a punch, stick it in the hole with ur broken off bolt, and hit with a small sledge to knock the top "nut" out of the pff. you are not screwed. when u break the other bolt free, dont take it out all the way, back it out a few threads then hit the bolt with the sledge to knock THAT little nut thing out.. I literally just installed my torsen 2 days ago and was stuck at this part
This is sage advice. The capture nuts on top of the PPF are knurled and you have to drive or pry them out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Help!! Differential trouble!!! I NEED a Capture Nut! ANYBODY GOTS??

Ok. Well i was able to wrestle the whole PPF with the diff attached to it. After grinding off and drilling out the broken bolt from the top of the PPF I was able to get the diff seperated from the PPF. But, I had to cut one of the capture bolts off and drill it out. So i will need a new one. Anybody out there got one of these kickin' around they'd be willing to send a guy?! I sure would appreciate it!

They look like this....

2012-05-08 15.05.14 (Large) by riponfrosh, on Flickr

2012-05-08 15.05.05 (Large) by riponfrosh, on Flickr

1 - 15 of 15 Posts