ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basically the story goes I lost my job and have to get rid of my NC Miata. I was planning to drift the NC but obviously that never happened, really bummed about that :cry: Luckily I sold my car parts and I'm getting a decent tax return. I need to decide if I should buy a NA miata or a 240sx. I've owned and drifted 240's before and worked on them. I know how easy they are to drift and work on, and know their problems. I really want another miata, obviously I've fallen in-love with them. I've never driven a NA miata nor have I done much work on them, but know they are similar to a 240. I'm trying to gauge if a miata is harder to work on and if they are much harder to drift than a 240? I know the wheel base is smaller and they are slightly underpowered, but will I be fighting the car the whole time? Also my main question is: should I buy a 240 or miata for a daily driver / drift car?

·
Registered
748 Posts
Miatas aren't that hard to work on, and they're usually in better condition than S13's on the market nowadays.

As for drifting, they're pretty easy to initiate a drift in, but hard to keep it going and not spin out..kind of like the AE86 in a way.
There's plenty of people who drift Miatas, but they don't stand a chance against prepped competitive drift cars....except maybe Jeff Abbott and his NB lol

·
Registered
441 Posts
I guess your earlier dilemma about trading up your NC has been decided for you eh? Sorry about your job man, it's tough.

I've never worked on a 240 myself, but I have plenty of buddies who roll them. Overall, NAs are really easy to work on. I've owned my first car(an NA) for the past year and a half and I've done everything to it myself(Timing belt, all fluid changes, maintenance stuff, bolt-ons). This is coming from a guy who had NO mechanical background. Secondly, there are so many guides/write-ups on NAs, and there are so many people who are very knowledgeable about NAs everywhere. So you're never really going to get stuck for that long. Bottom line, if you can work a 240, I'm 100% positive you can learn to work on NAs.

I can't comment much about the drift part, just know that they are a bit.. jolty. Ask me how I know. Just make sure to find a giant parking lot first to practice, especially if you're coming from a 240.

And in terms of power, it depends on what you get. The NA6 or NA8. Definitely do more research on that. General rule is this: NA6 are more rev-happy, therefor more fun. But the NA8 has a stronger rear end and are more powerful of course. Getting a Torsen is a must if you're serious about drifting it(especially the NA6). And either way, you should turbo it for maximum awesomeness.

Others will chime in on all this. Hopefully I've helped. Goodluck with your decision. Let us know what happens.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not looking for anything to compete in, just looking for something inexpensive to have fun drifting in and daily drive. I'm aware I'll need coilovers and a 1.5 or a 2.0 diff and some yummy suspension parts, same as with the 240.

Miata = 240 because they are in my price range, rear wheel drive, and both a lot simpler to work on than a 2006 miata from what I've seen. I also know tires are less expensive for a miata than a 240. My main reason to consider the miata is they are less expensive and in better condition. A mint hardtop miata w/ minor mods is 3-4k ( a semi-worn / maybe rusty miata is 1-2k), a mint 240 is 5k+ (a beat to **** semi-rusty 240sx is 2-3k). Finding a running/ well running 240 in NE is a very hard thing for 2k or under, a Miata isn't.

·
Cheyyyaaa
1,389 Posts
Both of them are great beginner drift cars, both are cheap, both are easy to work on...it's just a matter of whether you want a fanboi car or a gay looking car.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
with the right mods and setup miatas are AWESOME for drifting. youll need/want power adders for sure (turbo/supercharger). Stock steering angle blows, get some extra angle, a diff, coilovers, seat and power and they are amazing. T

Working on NA miatas is cake and they are super simple but they aren't like a 240 at all in terms of anything. steering is different/suspension is totally different. EVERYTHING is different.

240's are more common for drifting, easier to get parts/spares for and easier to get good advice for setup. I've seen a lot of shitty miatas at drift events and VERY few good ones. (none locally) So will you be different and make a good/cool drift miata or will you just get an S-chassis and call it good?

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I use my car for daily/drift car and I'm competitive with it.

Iv never owned a 240 but iv been around them enough to talk ****.
Miata's unlike 240sx arn't always breaking down, and both cars are very easy to work on.

If I were you I would get a miata if you don't want to be swapping engines all the time.

Get 5 things for the miata to start
5mm Steering rack spacers
330mm steering wheel
Coilovers
Roll bar
And find an alignment that works for you

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I use my car for daily/drift car and I'm competitive with it.

Iv never owned a 240 but iv been around them enough to talk ****.
Miata's unlike 240sx arn't always breaking down, and both cars are very easy to work on.

If I were you I would get a miata if you don't want to be swapping engines all the time.

Get 5 things for the miata to start
5mm Steering rack spacers
330mm steering wheel
Coilovers
Roll bar
And find an alignment that works for you

Don't listen to this kid whatever you do.

SR's are one of the best motors hands down. shut the **** up.

330mm steering wheels are for busters.

steering rack spacers are for fucking idiots. They rule if you like ripping tie rods out of your rack!

·
I wanna go fast
2,781 Posts
Whats the benefit of the 5mm spacers? this is the first I've heard of them.

I say go with the miata because parts are cheaper and they're more fun to daily. I used to own a twin cam coupe on megans and it was a great car but I felt like i was driving a boat most of the time.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I've never driven a 240 but I want one based on how easy they are to drift in Gran Turismo. They seem so happy to slide. I'm trying to drift my miata but it wants to grip so badly and the low power works against you.

I would also suggest to get a miata so you can get a better condition car for the money. Get a different drift car in the future. Also, it seems like if you could drift a miata with some skill, you could drift just about anything.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Every 240 I've ever seen in person has 5 different colors on it and looks like ****. Why can't somebody with more than $15 in their pocket buy a 240 and make it nice?

Not exaggerating, The busters in my town/area suck.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Whats the benefit of the 5mm spacers? this is the first I've heard of them.

I say go with the miata because parts are cheaper and they're more fun to daily. I used to own a twin cam coupe on megans and it was a great car but I felt like i was driving a boat most of the time.

they allow you to maximize the full travel of the steering rack. but they also prevent you from fully engaging the threads on the inner tie rod i.e. they rip out of the rack and **** your day up. Parts for miatas are NOT cheaper and they aren't as easy to come by but the cost difference is negligible.

I've never driven a 240 but I want one based on how easy they are to drift in Gran Turismo. They seem so happy to slide. I'm trying to drift my miata but it wants to grip so badly and the low power works against you.

I would also suggest to get a miata so you can get a better condition car for the money. Get a different drift car in the future. Also, it seems like if you could drift a miata with some skill, you could drift just about anything.

I really hope you aren't serious.

Every 240 I've ever seen in person has 5 different colors on it and looks like ****. Why can't somebody with more than $15 in their pocket buy a 240 and make it nice?

Not exaggerating, The busters in my town/area suck.
My friends car like sitting behind me right now:

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
^ Didn't that car get a feature on Speedhunters at one point? Or something similar?

·
Registered
945 Posts
^ Didn't that car get a feature on Speedhunters at one point? Or something similar?
Doesn't that car look like a pile garbage zip-tied together? Or something like that? lol

I just snagged it from Googs. Point is, OP should get whatever he wants and is more comfortable with but if its a 240SX, make it nice.. not a rap-rod multicolored piece of crap.

That seafoam green 240 is great looking though!

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
Doesn't that car look like a pile garbage zip-tied together? Or something like that? lol
But seriously I swear a car like that had a full feature on Speedhunters. I could be wrong but it had the same apocalypse/rat rod look.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Either way I'm deff not buying a car and making it look like a POS. It actually makes it harder to hear how easy they are to work on and the price for parts is the same. Yes SR's are amazing engines but cost 3-4k for a full swapp, not in my budget at the moment. I already decided if I get a miata I will be doing coilovers, diff, modified knuckles, ps delete, and bushings. You don't need power to drift, you just have to enter faster. From everyone's comments it seems like is more a personal preference then one being better than the other.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts