ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This post is intended to share my discovery of a way to turn off the airbag light and tone in 90-93 Miatas without pulling the dash apart or soldering in any resisters, it just isn't necessary.

After searching and searching, trying to absorb as much as I can about what makes my airbag light blink 4 times, then escalate to 10 times, I came up with a solution to shut it down without audible alarms or having to pull the bulb. At least until I can get the diagnostic module repaired or replaced.

I was about to just cut the wire going to the bulb, when I started looking at how the connector goes into the airbag diagnostic module;
The module has 2 plastic blades (2nd picture) that go into the connector, keeping the circuit to the bulb open, once the connector is pulled out, the circuit gets closed and the airbag light comes on solid to alert that there is a problem with the system/connection.

I disconnected the module, got a medium sized zip tie, cut it to about 6 inches and inserted it into both holes of the connector (by looping it-1st pic,) where the earlier mentioned plastic blades would be ...and eureka!

No airbag light, no audible tone, no blinking, and best of all, no airbag in my face!

I've attached pictures and I hope this explains what I did.

Disclaimer: (due to a crazy debate that got started on another site)

This is a way to turn off that annoying airbag light until I could get my airbag module repaired or replaced. I am using http://airbagsystems.com a company in Texas, to repair mine. If someone decides to use this modification as a permanent solution in their Miata because; they'll never repair the problem, want an aftermarket steering wheel (I like the Momo steering wheels, I just can't bring myself to pay that much for one,) want to be the first person to enter a Miata in a demolition derby, or any other reason, it is completely up to them.

If anyone has the annoying flashing or solid Airbag light problem, this is a solution to make it stop. It won't fix the problem, it only hides it better.

These plastic tabs are what the zip tie is simulating

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its in such an awkward spot I took a minute to try to get it off, couldnt get it off and didnt wanna break anything so just quit:p
It is a tight spot, but well worth ending that annoying flashing airbag light.

Sent from my Skyrocket using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts