ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
CR.net Supporter
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for the last 2 months I've been teetering and tottering about ditching my GReddy Turbo and going Fuji IRTB. I was REALLY close in going that way then some things came into play.

1) I fixed most of the problems with the GReddy setup I'm running. Namely, Vacuum leaks and oil return line leak. Car is running great now. I even put down 150 hp on the dyno @ 5psi, although we had to abort because the engine was running lean. I can start building up my GReddy kit - essentially spend another 600 or so, and have a GReddy kit which can probably put down 180-200 hp on the dyno.

2) The Fuji IRTB setup seems awesome, but apparently runs overly rich even with the subcon leaned out all the way. If I knew that the 1.6 kit would work without having to spend more money to get a piggyback or some other device then I'd be all over it like white on rice. It'd also cost me about 1k all said and done to go IRTB

So it seems that

GReddy Pros:
cheaper
more HP
bigger knowledge base
quieter

GReddy Cons:
cluttered engine bay
hot engine bay
it's kinda mickey mousey

Fuji Pros:
sexy
leading edge
more response
WAY cleaner engine bay
mecha tune is lovely

Fuji Cons:
more expensive
smaller knowledge base
less HP
potential for it to cost significant to get it running GOOD.
loud

My car will be a daily driver, with the occasional track day.

The more I think about it the more I want to go Fuji. convince me fellas!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Since your in Cali... I would advise against the IRTB if its a daily driver. But, i've had non smog legal cars since I was 18 and have been dealing with the extra headache... so Im getting kinda burned out which is prob influencing my opinion. You may not mind dealing with it, so thats the main thing you'd want to ask yourself.

Also, how do you plan to take care of the bi-annual smog test if you do the ITB? You plan on putting it back to stock for the test or do you plan on getting it illegally smogged?

·
Mufasa in Training
32,641 Posts
If you really have some guts, why get rid of the turbo? It's not like you can't run both (with proper engine management)...

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'd say just save your money and keep the turbo for now and then buy the IRTBs. If you can get them with a standalone, Bryan is right. Why not run both? After I get mine running right with Megasquirt if I want more power I'm thinking of doing just that.

·
Mufasa in Training
32,641 Posts
Now keep in mind of course my statement assumes that the Greddy turbo is the right sized turbo for the job (which I do not know). That said, there's no technical hurdle to prevent the two from being run (since they are actually doing their work on different sides of the engine, as opposed to trying to run a coldside and hotside supercharger).

·
CR.net Supporter
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think that the main thing is that I want clean and simple. N/A tuning definitely has its appeals.

·
Esteemed Member
4,380 Posts
I think that the main thing is that I want clean and simple. N/A tuning definitely has its appeals.
From what I've read here and from miata.net, going IRTB really isn't the clean and simple option. There's more work to get it running well, and even more work to get it running "perfect." Not to mention there's the chance that the IRTBs can start an engine fire (which everyone here recommends having a fire extinguisher in the car as caution).

In my opinion, turbo for daily driving is a lot less of a hassle than going N/A. Don't get me wrong though, N/A is a hot setup. But you might miss that burst of power you get from the turbo for daily.

·
Mufasa in Training
32,641 Posts
Ask anyone with IRTBs...just because you lose the turbo does not mean it is by any means "clean and simple". The only real simple approach is to keep a stock engine bay, IMHO; anything else is just varying degrees of difficulty.

In fact, the turbo would be less finicky and require less periodic adjustments. Consider that for IRTB's, the throttle plates always have to be in sync, which does mean you will have to adjust them every once in awhile. It seems from the experiences of some that tuning has to be done to also deal with differing altitudes. With the turbo you're only dealing with one throttle.

Just some thoughts...

Edit: Linh was one step ahead of me :oops:

·
4,436 Posts
I agree Bryan - the tulbo will be better for day to day - IRTB's (while cool) just require some finesse and care on daily use.

For instance - sometimes I do not drive my tater for a week and sometimes it takes 3 cranks to get her started. But I have never had the car stall out, die, over heat, fire, etc....once it is started, but is solid performance.

Keep the tulbo.

·
CR.net Supporter
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When I said clean and simple, I meant the engine bay.

with a stock setup you have the intake pipe and box, which although cleaner than a turbo setup isn't as clean as IRTBs.

and on the turbo, not only do you have big chunks of piping, but you also have heatshields, oil lines, and all the other clutter. :(

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
If I didn't feel like messing with my Protege anymore I'd IRTB my Miata in a heart beat, but the Miata is my new fast car so I need that turbo.

:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts